Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The No Name Club

Options
  • 26-03-2005 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭

Anyone remember the No Name Club in O'Laughlin Geals? When did I stop running?

The "No Name" was my first drunking experence!!

Bit odd for a "no alcohol" event - everyone got hammered before going in. Remember for my junior cert results, queuing to get in and a guy in front of me puked and the collepsed in to it his own vomit!!

It was really really dark, with loads of smoke! And lots of horn*y young lads running around the place.

Think they sold minerals on the way out to the toilet - TK red lemonade and the likes!

Oh the memories!! :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

No Name Club's still goin' strong all over the country. There are now plans to set up clubs in the UK and further afield.

I was a hostess for two years, helped set up the Club where I'm from. We ran a senior citizens Christmas party every year. Those were some of the best nights out I've ever had. The spirit and comradery between the clubs and those involved in the running of them was amazing. I come from a place where there's a huge divide between two parts of the community and the No Name Club really brought people together ... Sounds cheesey I know ... *shrug*

With regard to the blatant drinking. It was pretty obvious who had been drinkin' and who hadn't. If you were dumb enough to get caught or be sick you deserved to have your parents called and be sent home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

the no-name is still going, unfortunately! its still corrupting the youth of kilkenny! even though thats not its aim. my jc no-name was dreadful. there were 12 and 13 year olds from the adjacent housing estate in there kicking the sh!t out of whoever looked at them wrong. there were people chewing the jaws off themselves after popping pills. and all this happening with cops on the door and inside the place. maybe its better now, but that was my experience of it

In the first few months of the club where I'm from, we had very few showing up as people thought they'd be practically breathalised etc. but then we held the Junior Cert. Disco and the place was jammed and has been jammed since. The adult committee aren't there to stop kids havin' fun, but if they're a danger to themselves and/or to others they're going to stop them from getting in.

To be honest, I'd be more worried about the clothes some of the young wans are wearing to these things than the drinkin'/smokin' etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I was a host in Kilkenny, we didn't do anything to prevent drinking etc., hell one of the guys got off with one of the girls (for which he was abused for a year afterwards heh).

Hehe! It's where many nicknames people had (and still have) came from, "Finger Byrne" being one that immediately springs to mind.

• Advertisement
Advertisement