Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iTrip problem - help please

Options
  • 26-03-2005 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭

Hi All. Got an iTrip for my iPod mini. Set it up as per instructions.

When i try play it through a radio, the radio picks up a blank carrier but no music. If I turn the radio up full volume you can just about hear the music in the background. The volume on the iPod is between 50% and 75%.

I've tried it on various different frequencies and on different radios and the same thing is happening on all. When I hit scan on the car radio, it stops on the frequency as there is a blank carrier there but no music.

I bought it in the states but that shouldnt make a difference should it?

Any help appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

All iknow is that there are differances between US and european radio .. I am not sure to well what they are and wether or not thayll make a difference. That could well be it , have heard from anyone else with one because it could just be load of s-h-one-t?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

i have an american belkin tunecast II. its the same job as an itrip and i have had no difficulties like you have experienced. so i dont think its an american/european compatability error.

when i use it with my ipod i have the ipod up full whack and then adjust the car radio.

moe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Well i've been on Griffin Technology's website and downloaded the list of European frequencies. Now no matter I set it to, it comes up on 92.3FM which is too close to 2FM which is on 92.2FM here. I can't see anything in their Support or FAQ section that might rectify the problem :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Gary_Midgley

I have an ITrip and I find that the freq. 88.2 is the best. I've also found, that if you have it in the car, put / take down the ariel this way the signal comes straight from the Car Stereo its self. I use mine in car and home and I have no problems at all. I bought mine in the AppleStore in Birmingham (UK).

Hope that helps (Also it doesn't harm having the volume around 80/90% decent car stereo's can handle the signal.

Regards

G

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Thanks for the replies. The iTrip is knackered. No matter what I do to it, it keeps defaulting to the 92.3FM frequency.

A handy tip i picked up from another web page was that if you peel off the sticker on the top of the iTrip you can extend the aeriel and get MUCH better signal quality in your car.

EDIT:
    Found the actual article
    http://www.ipodlounge.com/reviews_more.php?id=4184_0_6_0_M
    The top of the iTrip mini will likely raise some eyebrows. Rather than plastic-coat the top, as Apple did with the iPod mini, Griffin merely applied a cheap-looking sticker to the top of the iTrip mini - an underwhelming touch for a company otherwise so concerned about aesthetics. Persistent whispers have suggested that this was an intentional touch, designed to enable any iPod owner to easily find and remove the internal FM broadcast antenna inside the iTrip's case, and thereby boost its signal strength. We'll reserve comment on this for later, but suffice to say that a plastic top - removable or otherwise - would have looked a lot better than an inexpensive sticker.

• Advertisement
Advertisement