Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me pass 3rd year!

Options
  • 26-03-2005 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi, I'm repeating 3rd year business french in college after more or less doing nothing in it since the leaving cert.

I've been getting stuck into it the last couple of months, and have pulled myself up to a decent enough strandard (I think).

However, there's only so much you can learn from a textbook, so I was wondering if you guys could give me a hand. There's a set of sentences that are to be translated for my exam in a couple of months, and I was wondering if I could post them here, with my attempts, and get you guys to try and spot any mistakes.

I know you don't want the forum to become filled with 'Do my homework' threads, so I thought I'd ask first.

I'm repeating externally btw, in case you were wondering why I don't just ask my lecturer for help.

Cheers! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Intel

Yeah sure... post them up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Chittle

1. Société Générale is a leading French bank providing a comprehensive range of international banking services.
    -->La Société Générale est une des principaux banques françaises qui propose une gamme complète des services bancaire internationaux dans le monde.

2. Most Japanese banks have expanded abroad in the 1980s to serve their domestic customers who want to invest and borrow overseas.
    -->La plupart des banques japonaises ont développé à l'étranger pendant les années 80s pour servir leurs clientes intérieures qui veulent investir et emprunter extérieur.

3. Lloyd's has always been one of the best known financial institutions in the world.
    -->La Lloyds a toujours été l'un des institutions financières les plus connue du monde.

4. We send out the accounts at the end of every month.
    -->Nous envoyons les comptes à la fin de chaque mois.

5. The trading profits of the bank and its subsidiaries for the year ended 31 December 1989 were $195.3 million.
    -->Les bénéfices commerciaux de la banque et ses filiales pour la fin de l'exercise 31 décembre 1989 ont été 195,3 milliards de dollars.

6. You buy with an account card so there is no need to carry cash or write out cheques.
    -->Vous achetez avec une carte de crédit, donc il n'y a pas un besoin de porter argent ni faire des chèques.

7. We supply medium and long term financing in yen or other currencies.
    -->Nous fournons financements à moyen et long-termes en yen ou des autres monnaies.

8. Banks provide their customers with letters of credit and travellers cheques.
    -->Les banques fournissent leurs clientes avec des lettres de crédit et des chèques de voyage.

9. Savings accounts earn a 5.8% interest.
    -->Les comptes d'épargne rapportent 5,8% d'interêt.

10. The last decade has seen increasing competition between banks and other financial institutions and the development of new financial techniques.
    --->La décennie dernière avait vu une augmentation de concurrence entre les banques et les autres institutions financières et le développment des nouvelles techniques financières.

11. The bank has just turned down your request for a loan.
    --->La banque vient de rejeter votre demande pour un prêt.

12. When you borrow money from the bank, you have the right to repay the loan in full within the first seven years.
    --->Quand on emprunte d'argent de la banque, on a le droit pour rembourser le prêt complètment en moins de la première sept ans.

Would be great if you could spot a few mistakes here (shouldn't be too hard ;)) and tell me where I went wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭lili

Chittle wrote:
    1. Société Générale is a leading French bank providing a comprehensive range of international banking services.
    -->La Société Générale est une des principaux banques françaises qui propose une gamme complète des services bancaire internationaux dans le monde.

la société générale est l'une des principales banques françaises qui propose une gamme complète des services bancaires internationaux dans le monde.

2. Most Japanese banks have expanded abroad in the 1980s to serve their domestic customers who want to invest and borrow overseas.
    -->La plupart des banques japonaises ont développé à l'étranger pendant les années 80s pour servir leurs clientes intérieures qui veulent investir et emprunter extérieur.

la plupart des banques japonaises ont développé (quoi?) à l'étranger pendant les années 80 pour servir la clientèle nationale qui veut investir et emprunter à l'extérieur.

3. Lloyd's has always been one of the best known financial institutions in the world.
    -->La Lloyds a toujours été l'un des institutions financières les plus connue du monde.
    la lloyds a toujours été l'une des institutions financières les plus connue dans le monde.

4. We send out the accounts at the end of every month.
    -->Nous envoyons les comptes à la fin de chaque mois.

5. The trading profits of the bank and its subsidiaries for the year ended 31 December 1989 were $195.3 million.
    -->Les bénéfices commerciaux de la banque et ses filiales pour la fin de l'exercise 31 décembre 1989 ont été (de) 195,3 milliards de dollars.

6. You buy with an account card so there is no need to carry cash or write
    out cheques.
    -->Vous achetez avec une carte de crédit, donc il n'y a pas un besoin de
    porter argent ni faire des chèques.
    vous achetez avec une carte de crédit, donc il n'y a pas besoin de transporter de l'argent ni de faire de chèques.

7. We supply medium and long term financing in yen or other currencies.
    -->Nous fournons financements à moyen et long-termes en yen ou des autres monnaies.
    nous fournissons financements à moyen et long-termes en yen ou d'autres
    monnaies.

8. Banks provide their customers with letters of credit and travellers cheques.
    -->Les banques fournissent leurs clientes avec des lettres de crédit et des chèques de voyage.
    les banques fournissent à leur clientèle des lettres de crédit et des chèques de voyage.

9. Savings accounts earn a 5.8% interest.
    -->Les comptes d'épargne rapportent 5,8% d'interêt.

10. The last decade has seen increasing competition between banks and other financial institutions and the development of new financial techniques.
    --->La décennie dernière avait vu une augmentation de concurrence entre les banques et les autres institutions financières et le développment des nouvelles techniques financières.
    la dernière décénie a vu une augmentation de concurrence entre les banques et les autres institutions financières ainsi que le développement de nouvelles techniques financières.

11. The bank has just turned down your request for a loan.
    --->La banque vient de rejeter votre demande pour un prêt.

12. When you borrow money from the bank, you have the right to repay the loan in full within the first seven years.
    --->Quand on emprunte d'argent de la banque, on a le droit pour rembourser
    le prêt complètment en moins de la première sept ans.

sorry, i don't understand the meaning of this sentence, maybe someone could translate it. the french sentence is not correct;)

Would be great if you could spot a few mistakes here (shouldn't be too hard ;)) and tell me where I went wrong.

here it is:)

Thanks very much mate, really appreciate you taking the time out to do that.

Glad to see I wasn't too far out with most of them, apart from the last one!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

• Advertisement

Chittle wrote:
    Thanks very much mate, really appreciate you taking the time out to do that.

Glad to see I wasn't too far out with most of them, apart from the last one!

you're french is perfect. i corrected some little errors but it was just because i wanted you to understand what are the good words in some situations.
    :)

embraer170 wrote:

:D Kind of glad that this only has the first chapter done, would've probably have taken the all too easy way out of just printing the rest of the translations out. :rolleyes:
    lili wrote:
    you're french is perfect. i corrected some little errors but it was just because i wanted you to understand what are the good words in some situations.

Thanks! I won't post out all the rest of the sentences because the thread would just become too clogged, plus I wouldn't expect you to go through another 100+ of them.

I might resurrect this thread later though if there's any translations that really just have me confused. Thanks again!

Chittle wrote:
    I might resurrect this thread later though if there's any translations that really just have me confused. Thanks again!

Well there's been a few alright. Moreso certain phrases more than full sentences though.

Again, any help whatsoever appreciated.
    ===============================
    Some of them are sold out. ("them" = des articles)
    -->Certains d'entre eux sont épuisés.

Thank you for your letter of 18th February in which you asked us to let you know when it would be convenient for your representative to call on us.
    -->Nous vous remercions pour votre lettre de 18 février dans laquelle vous nous avons demandé de vous informer quand il serait commode pour votre représentant de faire rendre visite.

Several out-of-stock items have been on order for weeks.
    -->Plusieurs articles épuisés sont en commande depuis des semaines.

The goods are displayed where everyone can see them.
    -->Les marchandises sont exposées où tout le monde peut les voir.

We hope that these arrangements will meet with your accord.
    -->Nous espèrons que ces arrangements obtiendront votre accord.

On a greater scale. (Business scale)
    -->Sur une gamme plus grande.

Many companies judge their maintenance department on its ability to respond to breakdown, whereas the most important test should be its ability to prevent breakdowns.
    -->Beaucoup d'entreprises jugent leur service d'entretien sur son talent de répondre aux pannes, alors que le test le plus important devrait son talent d'empêcher des pannes.

She has been working. (Not sure what tense to use.)
    -->Elle travaille.

The new organization chart has been posted since last Monday. (Again, the tense.)
    -->Le nouvel organigramme a affiché depuis lundi dernier.

Making private calls on the office phone is severely frowned upon.
    -->Faisant des appels privés au téléphone de bureau est désapprové sévèrement.

We look forward very much to hearing from you.
    -->Nous attendons avec impatience de recevoir votre réponse.

The 25th of this month. (Is there a better business term for this?)
    -->Le 25 de ce mois. ["Le 25 courant."?]

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Hi Chittle,

just a handful of corrections which I would recommend. I haven't touched all of them, mainly because one or two looked wrong to me, but my brain is fried and I couldn't recommend something else.
    Hope this helps. I've highlighted my corrections. If you've any queries, just ask.

Calina
    Chittle wrote:

Thank you for your letter of 18th February in which you asked us to let you know when it would be convenient for your representative to call on us.
    -->Nous vous remercions de votre lettre de 18 février dans laquelle vous nous avez demandé de vous informer quand il serait commode pour votre représentant de nous rendre visite.

Depending on context, my instinct would be "acceptable" rather than "commode".

Several out-of-stock items have been on order for weeks.
    -->Plusieurs articles épuisés ont été commandés depuis des semaines.

On a greater scale. (Business scale)
    -->Sur une plus grande échelle.

Depending on context: Sur un niveau plus élevé....

Many companies judge their maintenance department on its ability to respond to breakdown, whereas the most important test should be its ability to prevent breakdowns.
    -->Certains entreprises évaluent leur service d'entretien sur son moyen de répondre aux pannes, alors que le test le plus important devrait être son moyen de prévenir des pannes.

The new organization chart has been posted since last Monday. (Again, the tense.)
    -->Le nouvel organigramme a été affiché depuis lundi.

Making private calls on the office phone is severely frowned upon.
    L'utilisation du téléphone de bureau pour des appels personnels est fortement désapprouvée. or est très mal vue. I'd nearly prefer the second option here.

We look forward very much to hearing from you.
    -->Nous attendons votre réponse avec impatience.

The 25th of this month. (Is there a better business term for this?)
    -->Le 25 de ce mois. ["Le 25 courant."?]
    Collins Robert would appear to indicate that "courant" is possible, but it's also marked as slightly colloquial. I'm not swearing to it, but Le 25 du mois might also be correct.[/QUOTE]

Thanks alot for the help Calina, especially the suggestions for the 4th and 6th sentences, I was struggling with them.

I'll probably go with ''courant'' for the last one.

I don't have any questions on what you said, it all seems to be pretty logical.

Thanks again! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

You're more than welcome.

le 25 courant is correct. it's very often used.

also for the word "commode" you can replace it by "possible"

Thanks lili for clearing that up.

Okay, last few sentences coming up.
    Again, any help appreciated.
    ============================
    A merger occurs when 2 or more companies of approximately equal size join forces to form a single, larger and consequently stronger unit.
    -->Une fusion se produi quand au moins deux entreprises d'une taille environ égale unissent pour former une unité seule, plus grande et par conséquent plus forte.

The General Manager's role is to study.. (Unsure of preposition to use beore verb)
    -->Le rôle du Directeur-Générale est d'étudier..

A sole trader is one who owns a small business.
    -->Un commerçant indépendant est un qui possède seul une entreprise.

You can invest in any or all of our four top-performing investment companies.
    -->Vous pouvez investir dans n'importe laquelle ou toutes de nos quatres compagnies le plus performantes.

We intend to supply you with the most pertinent high-level information available.
    -->Nous avons l'intention de vous fournir avec l'information le plus pertinent disponible.

We shall appreciate your notifying us.
    -->Nous apprécierons vous nous avertez.

We apologize for the delay in answering.. (Not sure of preposition)
    -->Nous nous excusons pour le delais à repondant..

We will take all possible steps to ensure that..
    -->???

This job involves the administrative and financial restructuring of the group.
    -->Ce poste nécessite le réstructurement(?) administrative et financier du groupe.

We have credited your account as follows.
    -->Nous avons credité votre compte "comme ensuit"(?).

Advertisement