Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Schiavo case and the right to die or live: should a government intervene?

Options
124»

Comments

Sparks wrote:
    I doubt they'd know who Holmes was; but as to whether or not you need to have known who he was in order to know that you don't have a right to dictate someone else's life to them, that I disagree on. It's a pretty basic rule. I know I was following it for over 20 years before I found out who codified it like that, it was just called ethics where I grew up...
    :p
    I doubt even You Sparks could contend your entire life so far excluded choices that impacted on other peoples lives-even though you wouldnt accept it(:p) I'd be nominating you for sainthood...
    No, you can't democratically decide to practise your religion.
    Well my initial line would be that you can bring it with you to the ballot box and your opinion that its wrong to do so is your opinion.
    This is the crux of my problem with the idea of voting according to your religious beliefs - they're your religious beliefs, but the rules will end up applying to me. And frankly, if the state's going to interfere in my life, I want it to be able to prove to me that it's for the greater good.
    Well you see this is what happens when you share the planet with other human beings, you have to succumb to a society determined by whose beliefs are of the greatest number.You may say they are wrong, but when your opinion that they are wrong becomes a majority opinion and its implimented, your opinion would in fact be doing what you say you wish not to do, ie you would be interfering with their view of the world and how it should be.
    I dont envy you for the things you worry about :D

Now that we have had this interesting discussion,I think its time to go back to the topic at hand(I'll split off this if you want to continue it,just pm me).

Advertisement