Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Moon

Options
  • 26-03-2005 9:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

Are we supposed to have a total lunar eclipse tonight the moon is bright red.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Astro1996

Its because its low down, refraction through the atmosphere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭sillild

Astro1996 wrote:
    Its because its low down, refraction through the atmosphere

yes its getting lighter now as it rises, its still orange though.

did i hear there is some event with the moon and jupiter tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

sillild wrote:
    yes its getting lighter now as it rises, its still orange though.

did i hear there is some event with the moon and jupiter tonight

I saw the moon very red as it rose this evening to the se. No lunar eclipse... atmosphere and wavelength bending but its close to jupiter alright (it's visible to the top right of the moon) - the moon should be directly underneath it later tonight. Mixed weather though. Try looking at jupiter through a pair of binos... and you should see it's moons. Try looking for jupiter at the same time once a week and you will gradually notice the difference... it can be fun. Enjoy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

It could be due to the Aurora Borealis. We are meant to be crossing through a bit of solar wind which could cause that effect.

Flukey wrote:
    It could be due to the Aurora Borealis. We are meant to be crossing through a bit of solar wind which could cause that effect.

I heard about a warning about that... at the space weather site (argh I didn't bookmark it!). Would it really do that? I was thinking red as in red sunrise like you see in first few mins as it comes off the horizon. My eastward direction is not the best site for viewing since it looks up to a gradual hill... thankfully mostly light pollution free... at least for the moment... can't tell for how long though with this crazy house boom. I'm clouded over now though. :( Thankfully I got to see the lot for the first few hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Astro1996

Astro1996 wrote:

Cheers! :o

Advertisement