Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bank account and credit card in usd

Options
  • 26-03-2005 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Does anyone know of a bank that offers a bank account in us dollars as well as a credit card in us dollars?

thanks!

Aodhan.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Banjo013

Hey -

I presume you mean an Irish bank.

In ten years working in the financial services sector, I've never seen this offered to the retail market.

Normally you'll have to be resident in the juristiction of the currency in order to hold an account denominated in that currency.

Could be wrong, but like I said I've never seen it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

There are swiss banks that offer this facility. http://www.swissgates.com/faqs.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

I'd prefer an Irish bank, but if they don't offer it I'll go abroad.

Thanks for the link Bond-007 - a swiss bank a/c will do the trick alright. :) Although it would be handier to have it in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Nope, I don't believe any of the banks hear offer such a product to the general public.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Oh, and beware the sites which claim to open Swiss bank accounts from the research I've done on the web, I came up with this:
    You must open such accounts personally in Switzerland, you must have references, and you must convince the bank that you have a legitimate reason for wanting one

From http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a1_331b.html.

Some other sites turned up some interesting info too, so I doubt that idea is a runner.

[edit]Another good site here: http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/bank/20010227a.asp[/edit]

• Advertisement

Thanks for the heads up BuffyBot - i'll be careful :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

[NOT A RECOMMENDATION, JUST A POINTER!]

This crowd used to offer stateside bank accounts and credit cards. I don't see any mention on their site any more, but tbh I didn't look very hard. I'm sure they're not the only company offering stateside incorporation though.

adam

I have an account with them, with a bank called mt morris savings - but it is being shut down due to extra administration they have to do for foreigners due to the patriot act.

I also had an account with them with the bancorp before it was closed last year again due to the patriot act.

Mr Morris Savings was valis international last attempt at trying to keep us bank accounts open for non-us residents.

It was all very handy for me though, as i take money in as dollars and am spending about $5,000 a month on servers at the moment. I don't particularly like letting the banks charge me to transfer to euros, and then charge me to transfer back to dollars when paying for hosting.

I think banks are making enough profit already :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The swiss option might be the best for you then. It's a pity your US bankers are being awkward with you. Seek independant advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Zaph0d

Natwest international in Jersey does US accounts.
    http://www.natwestinternational.com/accounts-and-services/index.stm

If you really want a Swiss bank account, you can open one without appearing in person. They want a huge amount of information to prove your identity and the source of your income. Once you have it all, it is straightforward. This service is legit: http://swiss-bank-accounts.com/e/index.html

I can't see why you would use switzerland when the channel islands are closer. Swiss charges can be very high.

Swiss and channel islands accounts raise eyebrows and make people suspect you are a money launderer. It's not good when your suppliers and customers think there's comething dodgy about you. So you may prefer to use Citibank in the UK. I haven't tried them but they say on their web site that they accept applications from non-UK citizens for USD accounts. http://www.citibank.co.uk/uk/applynow/general.jsp

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

nahdoic wrote:
    Mr Morris Savings was valis international last attempt at trying to keep us bank accounts open for non-us residents.
    That explains it, ta for the info nahdoic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Chipboard

Most Irish Banks offer currency bank accounts - BOI and AIB definitely do. Just ring their treasury division. Its no big deal to open one and the poster who said that having a Swiss bank account would make you look like a money launderer was right.

I dont think you'll be able to get a USD credit card though but maybe American Express might be able to do it for you. It would be a charge card as opposed to a credit card but it should serve the same purpose except that you cant borrow on it.

Anyone who has dollar receivables and pays out funds in dollars would be mad to convert it twice. If your bank were any good they would spot this and advise you to open a currency account. Thats called a 'sale' in banking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

nahdoic wrote:
    I think banks are making enough profit already :)

they're entitled to.

you can get a USD currenc/ hold account with AIB, BOI and UB as far as I know.

You'll need to justify why you want one but you seem to have a genuine reason. They will issue a cheque book if you want one. You can lodge US cheques in or get US funds transferred directly in.

I have never heard of an Irish Bank offering a US domiciled credit card and I have also worked in banking for ten years

• Registered Users Posts: 33 lukonmaki

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    they're entitled to.

you can get a USD currenc/ hold account with AIB, BOI and UB as far as I know.

You'll need to justify why you want one but you seem to have a genuine reason. They will issue a cheque book if you want one. You can lodge US cheques in or get US funds transferred directly in.

I have never heard of an Irish Bank offering a US domiciled credit card and I have also worked in banking for ten years

Hi,

I also wish to open a dollar account in an Irish bank. I'm living/working in Asia currently and am paid in USD.
    I'm not overly concerned about having a credit card (though it would be nice) but fear transfer costs of Irish banks.
    Any idea what these are right now? I know that about 10 years ago a charge of between 1-3% applied.

Thanks

Luko

Advertisement