Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Protected WMA Files

• 27-03-2005 12:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭

I want to convert some "LEGALLY" downloaded .wma files to .mp3 or .aac format so i can put them on my iPOD. However the .wma files are protected. They were downloaded from mycokemusic.com. Does anybody know how i can get around this. :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

You can't, legally, get around this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Sure you can. Play the WMA file in Winamp or Media Player or whatever plays it and record it in real time in Cool Edit/Adobe Audition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Man this is the kind of BS that makes DRM unpopular. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

I had to burn them to a cd and then upload it into iTunes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

Arabel wrote:

before i have DAP with DRM support, i did a similar thing, they were burnt as CD image using Nero and then ripped to mp3... well since they were originally WMA files, at the end the quality kinda compromised...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

EDIT

Aparently this post was illegal. See the post directly below to find out why.

Bard wrote:
    Sure you can. Play the WMA file in Winamp or Media Player or whatever plays it and record it in real time in Cool Edit/Adobe Audition.

Not legal, tho, under the DMCA and European equivalent... Silly bloody laws. Technically, even telling someone how to get around copyright protection is an offence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭Polonious

Arabel, good call. It worked a treat.

rsynnott - i've paid for them on the understanding that i could burn them to cd or use them on an mp3 player, so no law been broken here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

rsynnott wrote:
    Not legal, tho, under the DMCA and European equivalent... Silly bloody laws. Technically, even telling someone how to get around copyright protection is an offence.
    Whoops!

Polonious wrote:

rsynnott - i've paid for them on the understanding that i could burn them to cd or use them on an mp3 player, so no law been broken here.

Yep, a law has been broken. Not a sensible, or particularly serious one, but that's life. You can pay for them with any understanding you feel like; evading copyright protection is an offence. I don't AGREE with it being an offence, but that doesn't mean you can go atound saying no law HAS been broken ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

rsynnott wrote:
    Any ref. to that law ?

IMHO Breaking the encryption would be Illegal
    but recording the playback might be legal for personal use - I'm not sure if we can make backup copies of recordings that we have already paid for in this country nor am I sure if two different file formats cound as different media or if that matters

Main Irish Copyright act. http://www.gov.ie/bills28/acts/2000/a2800.pdf

Irish Copyright Ass. http://www.cai.ie/new/links/index.htm
    Please note that the CAI is a membership organisation only and does not offer or provide any form of legal advice, referral or information service.
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

What about that guy DVD John, the guy who cracked CSS. He broke the copyright protection on DVD's and when he was taken to court he won. Besides if you buy something off the internet you should be able to do whatever you like with it right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

It would be illegal under the DMCA alright. If there is any sort of copy protection involved, circumventing it is just as illegal as breaking it. I don't think Europe/Ireland have anything as idiotic or as strict as the DMCA though.

Jon got away with DeCSS because the Norwegians wouldn't extradite him to the US for prosecution, so the MPAA could only try prosecute him under Norwegian law, which wasn't written by entertainment lobby groups.

MrPinK wrote:
    It would be illegal under the DMCA alright. If there is any sort of copy protection involved, circumventing it is just as illegal as breaking it. I'm don't think Europe/Ireland have anything as idiotic or as strict as the DMCA though.

Jon got away with DeCSS because the Norwegians wouldn't extradite him to the US for prosecution, so the MPAA could only try prosecute him under Norwegian law, which wasn't written by entertainment lobby groups.

It's CERTAINLY illegal under the DMCA, which bans all circumvention, even if it's easy circumvention (record from audio out, hold down shift while inserting DRM-loaded CDs, etc.).

That section of the DMCA is apparently also present in the new WIPO copyright treaty: http://www.wipo.int/ which Ireland either has already adopted or will be adopting soon (seems to be difficult to find this out precisely :S)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

This thread too http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=235160

from the long quote in post 6
    If you portable player is not supported and have purchased a track with
    CD-burn rights, it is not illegal for you to make a copy of this track for
    personal use. As far as I am aware, this would also apply to making a copy
    of it from the burned CD to your portable player.

So I suppose the question now is did the original download have CD burn rights ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

Infini wrote:
    What about that guy DVD John, the guy who cracked CSS. He broke the copyright protection on DVD's and when he was taken to court he won. Besides if you buy something off the internet you should be able to do whatever you like with it right?
    The only reason that he wasn't prosecuted was the fact that he realeased how to do it onto the internet. Therefore he made no profit from it and claimed to have done it for educational reasons.

Captain Midnight: Recording playback for personal use is only legal if you have express written permission.

Also even recording music from a cd to a tape so that you can play it in a car is illeagal.

When you buy an albumn/single etc you do not but the music or even the cd.

What you are buying is a liscence.

Specifically in most cases the liscence to listen to the music on the cd in a private and non-profitable manner.

Don' get me wrong no one is going to come around and kick down your door for coping music to a cassette so that you can listen to your music in a car. But companys leave the liscence so stric to ensure that if they want to press charges that they can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

D wrote:
    Also even recording music from a cd to a tape so that you can play it in a car is illeagal.
    Which Irish law is that from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Polonious: you can burn files from the coke music store to a cd, this from their FAQ:
    What are CD burn rights? (back to top)
    Downloaded music can be 'burned' to a CD. The number of times that a track can be burnt to CD varies track by track and is determined by the Record Labels. The media player uses the license associated with each track to check that a particular track can be burned to a CD.

How do I burn songs to a CD? (back to top)
    First check that you have the correct CD writing hardware attached to your computer. Also, check that you have the correct windows media player 'plug-in' for your CD drive. If you are not sure about this, refer to the "Portable Devices" section of the windows media player.
    To Burn a CD, you can perform these steps:

Create a new playlist (from media library)
    Add the required songs to this playlist
    Use the "Copy To CD" option from the File menu
    So put the cd into itunes or whatever then convert. I've bought DRM's wma files before that allowed me to (legally) burn to cd a number of times. Needed some ROXIO plugin for windows media player.

It's interesting to note that when the VCR came out, the MPAA went to a lot of trouble trying to get it banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭4Xcut

Afaik once you own something you can make as many copies as you like as long as its only for personal use or backing them up. if you sell them, rent them, etc. then you infringe on the copyright law.

• Advertisement

4Xcut wrote:
    Afaik once you own something you can make as many copies as you like as long as its only for personal use or backing them up. if you sell them, rent them, etc. then you infringe on the copyright law.

If the item isn't copy-protected, then yes. However, for copy-protected items, evading the copyright protections is verboten.

I'll wait a little longer for authoritive links before I close the thread and seperate the opinions / moral rights from the legal stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

Which Irish law is that from?
    Well the Imro represents the Irish Government when it comes to music copyright and they recognise the Uruguay Round Agreements Copyright Act of 1972.

The World Intellectual Property Organisation holds the legislation for each affiliated country, Ireland included, so for a comprihensive view of Irish legislation go here:

http://www.wipo.int/clea/en/clea_tree1.jsp?expand=IE#IE

Hope this helps to clear things up. :)

Polonious wrote:
    Arabel wrote:

The original problem was sorted - looks like the downloads had CD burning rights. Everything I've looked is aimed at commercial piracy or time delay recording of broadcast and lots of personal use clauses but none clearly apply here AFAIK, and it's drifted a bit from the "windows" even though copyright is a central issue with Microsoft Windows.

CLOSED

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement