Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pictures of Basketball greatness

Options
  • 27-03-2005 8:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭

(SC)Michael_Jordan_Photo.jpgclyde1.jpg

jordan1.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

celtics%20paul%20pierce%20gets%20past%20gilbert%20arenas.jpgspobkn.jpgMcGrady12_jpg.jpgvince%20rider_jpg.jpgcarter12_jpg.jpg VC WINDMILL DUNK!!!

By the way, for any fans of epic dunks, I know of a video available on WinMX sometimes. It's a 20-second clip from Sydney 2000 where VC leapfrogs over a 7'2 center, either Lithuanian or Russian, I mean he jumps STRAIGHT over his head (and dunks) MEGA!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭SoundWave

upmeath wrote:
    By the way, for any fans of epic dunks, I know of a video available on WinMX sometimes. It's a 20-second clip from Sydney 2000 where VC leapfrogs over a 7'2 center, either Lithuanian or Russian, I mean he jumps STRAIGHT over his head (and dunks) MEGA!!!

thats an awesome dunk alright.... and here's the pic

carter.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭ubu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 B-Ball_Chic

This is it!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 B-Ball_Chic

this all a bout ur chinise hero Yao Ming!

that's the one soundwave. i've never seen a dunk like it. the video i have is from a different angle to that photo, it's the camera mounted behind the board that they show it on. whatever about mj's all-around game, there will NEVER be a player who can dunk like carter. never has been, never will be again. he's just an air-machine, and watching him dunk just makes you cringe cos he's unstoppable. boo-yeah!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

I can't remember who did it, or what he team he was on, or anything, but some time during the uh... '97 season (could have been '98! or at the very outside, '96), someone was chasing the ball out of bounds at the half-court line, jumped, caught it before it bounced, and threw it back inbounds between his legs.... and into the frikkin hoop.

I remember seeing it in the "top 10 shots of the week" or something on channel 4.

If anyone could tell me who, and show a pic, or better yet a movie of it, that would be real nice!

Sounds like a challenging shot. I've never seen it and a brief google proves fruitless. Another video I have to recommend is one dating from the late 90s where Jason Williams (I think) takes down a defensive rebound only to serve up a court-length alley-oop (for who, I don't know!) but it was awesome. Another top ten plays of the week clip.

It looks like it was Isiah Rider for the Hawks. I wish I could find a video, though. That's probably the most amazing shot i've ever seen :)

• Advertisement

Oops: Rider for the 'Wolves

Oops: It was actually over his back, not through his legs. Bad memory.

Yay: http://www.basketvideo.com/video/nba/unsorted/314393A.AVI
    last shot in that "best of the '90s" clip :)

Also, this shot from a college player isn't bad. Can you tell he used to play quarterback? ;D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

Anyone ever seen the dunk Dean Cain (of superman fame) make over one of the young lads from home improvements back in the mid 90's I think. Cain donned the superman cape and the lad was postitioned inside the key, cain proceeded to run and jump over him and dunk it.

Wasn't bad for a white guy from the suburbs.

completely off the topic here, but has anybody got any tips on getting the extra air to dunk? im 17, around about 6', and i've been playing ball for 7 years. i get pretty good elevation on layups but i NEED to learn to dunk. what's the minimum height you need to be to dunk? i just want to get that far with my game. any tips, anything i can practice to go the extra 3/4 inches?

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭phil

upmeath wrote:
    completely off the topic here, but has anybody got any tips on getting the extra air to dunk? im 17, around about 6', and i've been playing ball for 7 years. i get pretty good elevation on layups but i NEED to learn to dunk. what's the minimum height you need to be to dunk? i just want to get that far with my game. any tips, anything i can practice to go the extra 3/4 inches?

If you're playing ball well enough and you're practicing enough, your jump will come. I have the extra advantage of being tall, so I don't do as much work on my jump as I really should. Do plenty of speed/leg work and you'll be grand. You're looking for quick muscle reaction time, as opposed to just big muscley calves, which means you should be training just for that. It's harder to train for when you're younger, as your legs naturally develop as you get older.

Keep away from jump programs like Air Alert and get to the gym and keep working out. What's your current standing vertical? (i.e. take your standing reach and subtract it from the height you can jump at without taking a step). You're looking at probably somewhere in or around 15-20 inches. This is what you should be measuring in order to determine if your jump is improving or not. If you can grab the rim, you shouldn't be too far away from dunking.

You should be looking for exercises that increase your strength _and_ power. Squats and plyometrics are two of the best techniques. I've never tried plyometrics, but I've heard people say that it really has increased their jump levels enormously.

Phil.

upmeath wrote:
    what's the minimum height you need to be to dunk?
    You can't really put a definite number on it. People like Spud Webb will always come along and not only dunk at 5'5", but win dunk competitions. It's ridiculous.
    Being able to dunk at 6ft certainly isn't special, but it's definitely difficult. With practice, you should be able to manage it.

You're 72" tall, and your arm will add about another "20, so what you're in need of is another 28" of jump. The best jumpers in the NBA have over 40" of vertical from a stand-still. So there's not much reason why you can't manage to jump 30" with a good run at it.

Practice, practice, practice, practice, practice :)

Well I think Steve Francis is the smallest dunker in the NBA at the minute, he's 6'2" and gets 36" elevation. I do a fair bit of high-jumping but I don't find it benefits my basketball at all. I can currently grab the rim with one hand only, but I suppose if I put a bit of work into it over the summer I'll hang two, and then put a ball through! I've a 93" vertical reach, and 30" running jump, so it's really just a matter of getting a ball over the rim now I suppose, no?

I suppose it is.

Remember that it's as much technique as it is leg strength!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Maybe try the Fitness forum (under the Rec dropdown menu) to get some info on leg strength and improving your vertical jump. Those folks seem to know their stuff.

If you want to go to a forum about improving your jump, go to the RedPrintz one, it's excellent. These guys are really into their fitness and have great tips on improving their jump.

http://s4.invisionfree.com/RedPrintz/index.php

• Advertisement

thanks folks, will do! its my post-leaving cert goal: dunk by 18!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Ok people, back on topic! Post more basketball pictures!

p1_boykins_all.jpg871111.jpg
    760-lakers2.jpg
    A few snaps of another mighty mouse... Earl Boykins
    sprewell.jpgcapt.sge.dlh34.210105084203.photo00.photo.default-384x256.jpga_bird_i.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Liam90

The greatest power forward of all time Tim Duncan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭hardwoodhero

Karl Malone was the greatest power forward of all time.

was, but now tim duncan is

without many championship rings to prove it...

Whether or not you like it, he'll always be judged on that.

Phil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭atilladehun

sorry, thats not real

that was an advert over in america

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Gator

The talk of vince carter encouraged me to dig this up, incredible dunk!!

(not the olympics)
    http://www.metacafe.com/watch/58208/vince_carter_mega_dunk/

and sure why not a collection of his clips
    http://www.metacafe.com/watch/40364/nba_the_best_of_vince_carter/

Advertisement