Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

trading in games into game gamestop ?!?

Options
  • 27-03-2005 3:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭

ive seen those signs up in game trade in 4 games and get a new game for 99c

last time i saw a deal simular i went in and was told the games i was trading where not worth enough, anyone know if this 99c deal is the same ?!? i asked in game the weekend but the guy didnt know, i dont think it says anything about it on the posters.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

The games have to scan at 20 euro or thereabouts.

kdjac

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

KdjaC wrote:
    The games have to scan at 20 euro or thereabouts.

kdjac

the GAME offer has changed slightly. it's any chart title for 99c when you trade in any 4 games. "any" meaning any game besides an old football or wrestling title (and sometimes old sport title, such as a formula 1 2000 game :D), and any game that has its manuals and so on.
    The GAME offer is likely to end on wednsday, by the way.

flogen

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

i'm totally against selling games back to shops. not cause i think its wrong, but because you get totally ripped off by them. i know its handy to trade in four games for one, but four chart games, which tey will sell for 49.99 each, when it only cost them one game is a joke. or giving twenty quid, when they make around 50, that a 150% profit. no thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

flogen wrote:
    the GAME offer has changed slightly. it's any chart title for 99c when you trade in any 4 games. "any" meaning any game besides an old football or wrestling title (and sometimes old sport title, such as a formula 1 2000 game :D), and any game that has its manuals and so on.
    The GAME offer is likely to end on wednsday, by the way.

flogen

Finally somewhere to trade-in my old commodor 64 games! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

the GAME offer has changed slightly. it's any chart title for 99c when you trade in any 4 games. "any" meaning any game besides an old football or wrestling title (and sometimes old sport title, such as a formula 1 2000 game ), and any game that has its manuals and so on.

Not true anymore, my friend went in a few days ago with Rainbow Six 3, Silent Hill 2, Metal Gear Solid 2, and Need for Speed Underground and they said they didnt add up to enough.

Game are robbing bastards in the preowned department, the only thing they are good at is wrapping up amazing rip offs in seemingly appealing packages :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

Smyths toystore in swords have a deal kinda like that.
    you can trade in four games and get a new game in return.
    all they ask for is the game must have the manual.
    And they take anything.Coz i gave them complete crap games to get driver 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

Beekay wrote:
    Smyths toystore in swords have a deal kinda like that.
    you can trade in four games and get a new game in return.
    all they ask for is the game must have the manual.
    And they take anything.Coz i gave them complete crap games to get driver 3

So in Theory, you traded-in 4 crap games to get 1 crap game. Now thats my kind of logic!

Not true anymore, my friend went in a few days ago with Rainbow Six 3, Silent Hill 2, Metal Gear Solid 2, and Need for Speed Underground and they said they didnt add up to enough.

Game are robbing bastards in the preowned department, the only thing they are good at is wrapping up amazing rip offs in seemingly appealing packages :rolleyes:

well that's not the offer I was told about, unless the store you were in had too much sh1te and decided to get tough again.
    oh and I'm under no illusions as to the nature of GAME, but they're a business and they'll take in your games and give you little back as long as they can. I had a guy who wanted cash for his ps2, I offered him €30 (all I could) and he took it without any complaint.
    Generally game and gamestop will do their best to make a profit on a game they take in, it's how they make all those millions, but with a hand on heart I can say that at least half of the stuff I've taken in over the last week or two has been worth nothing and I've had to give 13 or 14 euro because of our offer. There is no chance they'll sell it at a profit unless they hold onto it for 10 years and sell it on ebay as a rare retro title.

(I hate to sound like I support game, I don't. They are rip offs compared to other places, but they can get away with it so they do.)

flogen

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

someone agreed to sell his playstation for 30quid?? now that is just plain stupid. and how much was it sold on for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Davexirl

I used to work in GAME a few years ago and they do rob people when you are trading in games. If the game you are trading in is fairly new say like Metal Gear Solid 3 you will get about €24-€28 off anything in store and we would sell it for €50 they are making a massive profit on it. I was told that if someone was buying new game and we have it pre-owned try and get them to buy the pre-owned copy, Game make a massive turn over on pre-owned games.

I would never trade in games as you get robbed blind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Brian017

I traded in Halo (wrapped in plastic still) and only got €20.

Brian017 wrote:
    I traded in Halo (wrapped in plastic still) and only got €20.

halo 1 or 2? if it was one it sells new for 30, so no big surprise.

Davexirl is dead right, preowned is always being pushed by the company because it's the biggest margin maker. They aim to make at least 40% profit on each title, although that doesn't always happen sometimes they get twice that amount or more, but as I keep saying as long as people are willing to trade in a game for that value and as long as people are willing to make a minor saving on a second hand game, they'll keep doing it because it's profitable.

As for that ps2, it'll probably be sold out for just under €100, so thats 3 times what was given for it. Easy money tbh

flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Brian017

Halo 1 but it was about 2 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

So in Theory, you traded-in 4 crap games to get 1 crap game. Now thats my kind of logic!
    I know, it was complete tripe.I ended up trading it in at gamestop 2 days
    later and got 40euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

today traded in the following

cel damage
    f1 2003
    metroid
    xiii

and paid 99c towards resi evil

so far, resi evil is amzing, and i always hated the previous ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

I traded in 4 rubbish games and got gt4 today in game, the guy said they will take anything except football and wrestling games and its only till tomorrow.

Anyone know if they are doing the same deal in gamestop ?!? and if they are do they take wrestling games cause ive 3 of them i dont want id like to trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

If anyone has a DS:

(url removed)

Wackamole 4000 or sale. - Trading in sucks!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

As does irrelevant spamming. Do it again and you're banned.

Advertisement