Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jason Sherlock

• 27-03-2005 3:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭

Whatever happened to him, does he still play?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

He played for Shamrock Rovers for a while.

Think he only plays the GAA now, for Dublin and Na Fianna I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Had dual contract with GAA and Rovers , told Rovers he was injured played a celeb game for some charity and GAA match week after, contract was cancelled my "mutual consent" soon after.

Miss him be damn sure if Rovers created a chance and he got he would miss, very consistent player :D

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

Yea I saw a picture of him playing for Dublin in today’s paper so he must still play for them. I haven’t seen or heard of him in years not that I’m complaining

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

He still seems popular with the Dublin GAA crowd, probably because he's the only player have of them have actually heard of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

quality post Slash. Or maybe just ignorant.

The facts are that Jason played a big part in Dublin winning an All Ireland football final in 1995, as an 18/19 year old in his first year with the team (he'd probably been Dublin's best player the year before when they won the Leinster minor title). As a youngster he had excelled at soccer, gaelic and basketball. Despite his small stature he actually represented his country at basketball.

As with so many young lads Jason's ambition was to make it as a pro soccer player. He was playing league of Ireland with UCD and had trials with a number of English clubs, notably Liverpool. No firm contract offers but Rovers were interested so he signed with them.

For a few years he tried to mix gaelic and soccer, but as they are both so different, he didnt help his form in either. Eventually he decided he had to give up one or the other, and he decided to stick with the gaelic.

After about a year of playing only gaelic, his form improved dramatically. He became one of the best forwards in Dublin club football, and in the last two years he's probably produced his best form for Dublin of his career. He got an All Star nomination last year, which I think was his first one since 1995. And he's at least another 2 or 3 years left in him at intercounty level. His strengths are his intelligence, workrate, courage and football ability. His biggest weakness is the lack of power in his kicks for long distance points. And being one of the more hyped up GAA players of his generation he used to get too much praise for his good performance and still gets too much criticism when things dont go his way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I saw him on Henry St last week outside the Ilac Centre with a suit & a clipboard.
    He was either doing surveys or selling insurance..... :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

quality post Slash. Or maybe just ignorant.

The facts are that Jason played a big part in Dublin winning an All Ireland football final in 1995, as an 18/19 year old in his first year with the team (he'd probably been Dublin's best player the year before when they won the Leinster minor title). As a youngster he had excelled at soccer, gaelic and basketball. Despite his small stature he actually represented his country at basketball.

As with so many young lads Jason's ambition was to make it as a pro soccer player. He was playing league of Ireland with UCD and had trials with a number of English clubs, notably Liverpool. No firm contract offers but Rovers were interested so he signed with them.

For a few years he tried to mix gaelic and soccer, but as they are both so different, he didnt help his form in either. Eventually he decided he had to give up one or the other, and he decided to stick with the gaelic.

After about a year of playing only gaelic, his form improved dramatically. He became one of the best forwards in Dublin club football, and in the last two years he's probably produced his best form for Dublin of his career. He got an All Star nomination last year, which I think was his first one since 1995. And he's at least another 2 or 3 years left in him at intercounty level. His strengths are his intelligence, workrate, courage and football ability. His biggest weakness is the lack of power in his kicks for long distance points. And being one of the more hyped up GAA players of his generation he used to get too much praise for his good performance and still gets too much criticism when things dont go his way.

I never once said anything about him or his quality as a GAA footballer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Great post Rooster (as usual), but you could have said one of his weaknesses is when he tries to point from distance he ends up kicking the ball so high straight up that there is snow on it when comes down :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Lex Luthor wrote:
    I saw him on Henry St last week outside the Ilac Centre with a suit & a clipboard.
    He was either doing surveys or selling insurance..... :confused:
    He was working for Musgrave in Balymun when I left there about 15 months ago but I guess he's moved up in the world ;)

Advertisement