Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stuff to do in Limerick

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Wouldnt that be better if it was in the Park?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Mc Love wrote: »
    Wouldnt that be better if it was in the Park?
    I think the Milk Market will have more of a draw, particularly for people living outside of the city, as it is a place they can identify with and are aware of, rather than the park. Just my take on it anyway..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Less weather dependent in the Milk Market too I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭manna452121

keane2097 wrote: »

I went in and was very surprised that you had an entrance fee of €5 nothing on the web site.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭sioda

I went in and was very surprised that you had an entrance fee of €5 nothing on the web site.
    I just walked in no admission

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mdmix

Went into the Market Thursday evening. Was good and I enjoyed it but not a huge amount of selection. Something good to build on tho

Something I just came across that I wasn't aware of is a walking tour of the city's food heritage, sounds like a nice way to pass an hour or two.

FoodTourEB-sm-759x500.jpg

http://eatinlimerick.ie/eateries/hotels/limerick-food-heritage-tour/
    The meeting point is at No1 Pery Square, the boutique hotel in the heart of the Georgian Quarter, and after an introduction to the history of Georgian Limerick and the social and food trends from that era in Pery Square, we continued up Barrington Street and were led to O’Connell Avenue to admire the Georgian Crescent and around the corner to Leamy House and what is now the Frank McCourt Musuem.

Making our way through the always resplendent People’s Park and admiring some of the focal points along the way, our next stop was O’Connell’s Butchers on Little Catherine Street where we had a warm welcome from two of the team, Mary and Anton. Mary brought out a sample of their cooked meats to taste which included honey roast ham, roast beef and corned beef, while Anton gave us a rundown on the history of O’Connell’s, why it is divided into two shops – one a pork butchers traditionally, and the other for the rest of the meat offerings – and how it operates nowadays. Award-winning on a national and international level, the focus here is on serving local and quality products and there’s a reason it is one of the busiest butchers around. (You should see the queues here at Christmas time!)

The next visit was to M Cahill’s on Wickham Street, one of Limerick’s oldest shops. Historically a renowned tobacconist since 1870, as times have changed this business has responded and now sells over 100 specialty loose leaf teas in a quaint emporium that still also stocks some tobacco paraphernalia amid the tea pots and tea drinking accessories. Proprietor Eleanor Purcell hosted a tasting for our group of a select four, from tisanes (what most of us refer to as herbal teas) to familiar black and other interesting blends. The smells from the glass tea jars filled with colourful leaves are delicious and our warm host was filled with information about the world of ‘real tea’ which is enjoying a revival in Ireland as the growing passion for our food and drink culture makes us more and more curious about everything that passes our lips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Limerick Cycling Campaign are inviting Limerick cyclists, their friends and families to join Limerick’s first Critical Mass at 6pm on Friday 27th July at Arthur's Quay Park. All ages and abilities are encouraged to experience the city at a slow pace along with fellow Limerick cyclists. Participants just need to bring along their bike on the day or hop on a public bike scheme bicycle and meet outside Chez Le Fab Cafe at Arthur's Quay park.

Limerick’s Critical Mass is a celebration of the freedom of movement in the city. It provides an opportunity to promote cycling as a superior alternative to car culture and as an efficient and sociable way to navigate our city. Critical Mass is all about people coming together and creating a safe ,social space by cycling together in a group.

So come one and all and let's reclaim our city streets!

There's a gin fair on in House next weekend that may be of interest to some:

https://www.eventbrite.ie/e/the-great-gin-fair-tickets-47000808684

Join us for Limerick atheists in the pub at 7.30pm on on Wednesday August 8th at the Wickham Tap.

This month we will be having an informal meetup for Limerick atheists, meeting for a pint and chat. This is a great way to meet other atheists and free thinkers in the city. You don’t have to be a member of Atheist Ireland: just turn up and meet some like-minded people for an enjoyable evening. If it is your first time, just look out for the Atheist Ireland signs on the tables or DM me for more details. More info here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

panda100 wrote: »
    Join us for Limerick atheists in the pub at 7.30pm on on Wednesday August 8th at the Wickham Tap.

This month we will be having an informal meetup for Limerick atheists, meeting for a pint and chat. This is a great way to meet other atheists and free thinkers in the city. You don’t have to be a member of Atheist Ireland: just turn up and meet some like-minded people for an enjoyable evening. If it is your first time, just look out for the Atheist Ireland signs on the tables or DM me for more details. More info here

There is no extra information on that link or the links on that page.

( serious questions)
    What do atheists and free thinkers chat about that’s different to non atheists? Do you have to be an atheist to be a free thinker? What is a free thinker ?

(No so serious)
    What would a group of atheists do if they arrived and all their reserved table were occupied by non atheists???

There is no extra information on that link or the links on that page.

( serious questions)
    What do atheists and free thinkers chat about that’s different to non atheists? Do you have to be an atheist to be a free thinker? What is a free thinker ?

Well the evening is providing a space for like-minded people to talk about anything they want really but topics usually centre around different religions, education, separation of church and state, upcoming blasphemey referendum etc etc.

You don't have to be an atheist to be a free thinker imo but it's somebody that uses reason to question authority.

The Pigtown Festival that was on last year is on again in a couple of weeks:

http://pigtown.ie/event-listings/?platform=hootsuite

SwimableLimerick invite all individuals and groups that are interested in opposing the proposal by Irish Water to extract 330million litres of water daily from The Lower River Shannon to Dublin, to an open meeting at 7.30pm on Tuesday 11th September at Ormston House, Patrick Street,Limerick city.

Gerard Siney, Chair of the River Shannon Protection Alliance, will give an overview of the proposed scheme to date. All are welcome to attend to receive information on this proposed project and plan for any further actions that may be required. All welcome

Join Limerick Underground for a special Speakers Corner in the garden of The Hunt Museum, Limerick on Culture Night, Friday 21st September, from 7-8pm. If you have any thoughts, opinion, ideas or reflections on Limerick, Culture or anything at all, then now is your chance for the world to hear your thoughts. We invite all limerick citizens, young and old, to have the opportunity to stand up and speak about any issue that they feel is important.We will have some fun topics to choose from on the night for any kids that want to try out our speakers corner!

Limerick Speakers Corner is open to everyone and anyone who wants to get up on their soapbox and have their voice heard. Just turn up on the night and let Limerick hear your opinions, views, thoughts and musings. We encourage public discussion and debate for Limerick people to connect in a meaningful and thoughtful way.

lu_poster_september.jpg?w=212&h=300

Elemental Festival is on this weekend and usually has some really cool events. Brochure is here: https://www.elementalfestival.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭MilfordBud

Culture night tonight. Horseback Archery in the Castle. Zorbing on the river. Entrance to a few interesting buildings like the North Munster Masonic Centre. Hopefully the weather is good.

Great to see a Halloween festival in Limerick. Samhain looks really cool. I think the twilight parade on Nicholas Street sounds magical.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

Limerick OpenHouse this weekend http://www.openhouselimerick.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

As part of the Samhain: Limericks Halloween Festival, there will be a lantern parade on Saturday from City Hall. Great for kids and adults alike.
    Lantern Parade 6.40pm Sat Oct 27th City Hall
    "After sun down a lantern procession will makes it's way from City Hall through Nicholas St and over Thomond Bridge to Clancy's Strand where we set the lanterns along with wishes adrift on the river. Dress in your Halloween outfit and come line the streets of the Medieval quarter of Limerick to celebrate Samhain and cheer the spectacle on."

https://www.facebook.com/Samhain-Limericks-Halloween-Festival-326898524535219/?eid=ARCrxQZkxlyzkMygYH0XsRJdZAB58IcR8joWRkqFffzbil9VActXR0uj1xN5ESMD7-sYtRj69ypK649u

• Advertisement

As part of Limerick 'Light up your bike' campaign we will be giving out free bike lights to Limerick commuters this Wednesday from 4.30pm to 5.30pm at the bike parking at the Urban Garden on O'Connell Street.

We will also be using this opportunity to gather thoughts and ideas from the Limerick cycling community on how we can make Limerick a more cyclable city.

Remember! Bike lights aren’t just a nice accessory, they are a legal requirement. After dark you must have lights on your bike. If you are stopped by a Garda and have no lights you are liable to an on-the-spot fine of €40.

Thank you to the Road Saftey Authority and Limerick Smarter Travel for their assistance with this campaign. Please contact Elisa on elisaodonovan@gmail.com or 087-9120231 if you would like further details

https://www.facebook.com/events/337797307014663/?ti=as

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Anything going on in town tomorrow night for NYE? Fireworks or anything?

Anything going on in town tomorrow night for NYE? Fireworks or anything?

I always think the tradition of St.Marys ringing at midnight with marching band down Nicholas Street on New Years eve is a lovely one. I reckon if it was implemented and advertised right, a New Years eve parade on Nicholas Street with bells at midnight would really draw a crowd, and not with one expensive fireworks display required!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I always think the tradition of St.Marys ringing at midnight with marching band down Nicholas Street on New Years eve is a lovely one. I reckon if it was implemented and advertised right, a New Years eve parade on Nicholas Street with bells at midnight would really draw a crowd, and not with one expensive fireworks display required!

Marching band always draws a crowd in Dingle! The amount of illegal fireworks close to where I live were a disgrace, especially with young kids asleep.

Fancy setting yourself a challenge in 2019? How about signing up for Limerick Triathlon Club's first race of the year, The Limerick Duathlon. A duathlon is a perfect introduction to triathlon with a 3.8km run, 14km cycle, followed by a 3.8km run. Registration is now live here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

Another table quiz:
    Mid West Society - Table Quiz 2019 - Individual booking
    Summary
    Mid West Societies first ever table quiz will take place on Thursday 31st January in Bobby Byrne's Pub, O'Connell Avenue, Limerick. Starting at 7.30pm, €10 per person, teams of 4 ... Lots of prizes and post Christmas shenanigans !!!!!

Teams of 4

Date: Thursday 31st January 2019

Time: 7.30pm

Venue: Bobby Byrne's Pub, O'Connell Avenue, Limerick

Cost: €40 per team - €10 per person

Share this
    Venue details:
    Bobby Byrne's Pub, O Connell Avenue,
    Start date & time:
    31 January 2019 19:30
    End date & time:
    31 January 2019 23:30

What's the Mid-West societies?

What's the Mid-West societies?

Accountants or something. I was just cruising around online looking for quizzes!

• Advertisement

This is the website for that crowd, not sure why chartered accountants need to do fundraisers but a quiz is a quiz!

https://www.charteredaccountants.ie/Meetings/Meeting.aspx?ID=34581

Advertisement