Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many songs did Elvis write?

Options
  • 27-03-2005 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭

Have been trying to google this, but no good info. Wonder if anyone can tell me definitively, how many songs Elvis wrote or cowrote?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I don't think he wrote any of them.
    Not sure though.

Wasn't there another thread about this recently?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Elvis did'nt write any tunes he sung. But who knows, he may have writen stuff never recorded.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

As far as I remember he only co-wrote one tune which he recorded. He tried others I think also, but they were never recorded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Artist: Elvis Presley with The Jordanaires
    Title: All Shook Up (re-entry)
    Notes: The only no. 1 on which Elvis is given a writing credit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭JoeSchmoe

he also wrote the lyrics to "always on my mind" but not the melody, beyond that i don't think he wrote many of them

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

JoeSchmoe wrote:
    he also wrote the lyrics to "always on my mind" but not the melody, beyond that i don't think he wrote many of them

did he? was it not willie nelson?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Elvis did indeed co-write one song, and it's not just in the credit sense. Himself and two of his friends and members of the Memphis Mafia - Charlie Hodge, and Red West.

It's called 'You'll Be Gone'. Quite a good tune. Like most of the best stuff from the 60's, it was recorded in Nashville's (now famous) RCA Studio B, and bundled on to a film soundtrack along with the dodgy film songs.

Heartbreak hotel, he changed a few lyrics to, but the credit he received for it (presley, axton, durden) was more a publishing/royalties stunt than anything else.

Elvis was asked once "Do you write most of the lyrics to your tunes?", to which he replied - "No, I've never written a song.. I've never written a song in my life, I wish I could, I wish I was like some of my rivals, Carl Perkins, Gene Vincent, those guys, they're pretty good songwriters, but me.. I did good to get out of high school you know? I've never written a song.."

So there you have it.. :)

Kevin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

lordgoat wrote:
    did he? was it not willie nelson?

Common misconception.

Elvis was the first to record the song, in 1972. Willie Nelson then covered it sometime later, amongst others.
    Elvis did not write the lyrics to this song. It just happens to fit in well with what was going on with his life at the time. It was on the flipside to his single 'Seperate Ways'.. A truly uplifting 45.. ;)

K.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭JoeSchmoe

Common misconception.

Elvis was the first to record the song, in 1972. Willie Nelson then covered it sometime later, amongst others.
    Elvis did not write the lyrics to this song. It just happens to fit in well with what was going on with his life at the time. It was on the flipside to his single 'Seperate Ways'.. A truly uplifting 45.. ;)

K.

well thats me told then :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭mcguiver

If memory serves me correctly,Elvis was listed as a co-writer on a few tunes.
    This is a well used deal by record companies. Writer agrees to let singer be listed as co-writer...or else the song never gets used. Modern example... Robbie Williams, and various others who dont play instruments.

• Advertisement
Advertisement