Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

extra buses as needed?

• 27-03-2005 5:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭

Extra Dublin Bus services for northside DART upgrade

DART UPGRADE CONTINUES AT WEEKENDS ON NORTHSIDE

DART Upgrade works at weekends on the northside of Dublin have now resumed following the 2004 Christmas and New Year period, and will affect DART services between Pearse and Howth/Malahide on Saturdays and Sundays. The northside programme of works is expected to continue until mid 2005.

As a result, Dublin Bus is pleased to announce that additional Dublin Bus services will operate along routes adjacent to the DART line for the duration of the disruption. Extra departures will operate on Routes 29A, 31, 31B, 32, 32A, 32B, 42, 42A and 42B as and when required.

Northern Commuter Service
    A special bus service (operated by Irish Rail) will operate non-stop between Portmarnock Railway Station and City Centre (Tara St. / Georges Quay).

Longford/Maynooth Commuter Service
    Scheduled Dublin Bus services are available between Drumcondra Rail Station and City Centre. See Routes 3, 11, 11A, 13, 13A, 41A.

For further information on the DART upgrade please see the Irish Rail website.

so the lack of weekend darts for us northsiders continues.
    after the recent announcement that they were cutting weekend bus services on the 31/31b route it seems theyve deiced to announce that more buses will run as needed.

this seems like crap as most poeple suggest dublin bus dont have extra buses to provide and also arent giving any deifinite time of when the buses run.

anyone know how thye decide that a bus is needed?
    would 40 people waiting for 45 mins cover it?
    thats what i saw this morning at the bus stop acros the road.

any info would be appreciated on how to get these extra buses in operation.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

dublin bus has spare buses on weekends as they operate less buses sat/sun

the extra buses are provided and operate on the instructions of an inspector they are not timetabled the inspector in question slots them into the timetable as he sees fit

my suggestion to you would be to bring the number of clontarf bus depot with you if there is no sign of a bus ring them chew the b*****x of them and you should get one if there is one available

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

that sounds pointless.
    the only way theyll know if theres people waiting is if a bus goes by and sees them :/

the main problem seems to arise when one doesnt show, leaving everyone stranded till the next one, rougly 1 every 40 mins at the weekend,
    sure ly they could just move the time closer together rather than pretending to offer extra buses....

bah i think ill email them or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Iób

I don't believe any of this. Last Friday when the Darts were off, a friend of mine waited in Howth village for the 31 from 1700 when it was supposed to leave the summit. One appeared at about 1800. It was full before it left Howth and left people behind. God knows when a bus arrived to take people left waiting at Howth Dart Station etc.

I&#243 wrote: »
    I don't believe any of this. Last Friday when the Darts were off, a friend of mine waited in Howth village for the 31 from 1700 when it was supposed to leave the summit. One appeared at about 1800. It was full before it left Howth and left people behind. God knows when a bus arrived to take people left waiting at Howth Dart Station etc.

extra buses would not be provided on friday

sat and sun and bnk holidays

i suggest your friend should have rang clontarf and looked for an explanation i doubt anyone here is going to know what happened to the 1700 bus

Chalk wrote:
    that sounds pointless.
    the only way theyll know if theres people waiting is if a bus goes by and sees them :/

the main problem seems to arise when one doesnt show, leaving everyone stranded till the next one, rougly 1 every 40 mins at the weekend,
    sure ly they could just move the time closer together rather than pretending to offer extra buses....

bah i think ill email them or something.

how would they move the time closer together without extra buses

the company decided that rather than timetable the extra buses when they dont really know where the demand is going to be and they could end up with the extra buses running around with no one on that they slot them in as they see the need for them

but you should email them anyway

• Advertisement

cdebru wrote:
    the company decided that rather than timetable the extra buses when they dont really know where the demand is going to be and they could end up with the extra buses running around with no one on that they slot them in as they see the need for them

What extra buses? They have reduced the number of buses on the 31/31B routes at the weekends. Is this in order to have them sitting in Clontarf waiting for the scheduled buses to be full?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

thank you for your insight cdebru....

to me , living across the road from a bus stop its obvious that on saturday afternoons there are not enough buses,
    there are also a large number of buses which "go missing", at least 3 per day on this route do not show,
    perhaps they could use these "extra" ,non existent buses to replace those ones which have pulled a sicky or are gone for a pint.

What extra buses? They have reduced the number of buses on the 31/31B routes at the weekends. Is this in order to have them sitting in Clontarf waiting for the scheduled buses to be full?

they have reduced the number of departures as far as i am aware the same number of buses are operating

Chalk wrote:
    thank you for your insight cdebru....

to me , living across the road from a bus stop its obvious that on saturday afternoons there are not enough buses,
    there are also a large number of buses which "go missing", at least 3 per day on this route do not show,
    perhaps they could use these "extra" ,non existent buses to replace those ones which have pulled a sicky or are gone for a pint.

can i suggest when you notice a bus missing that you ring clontarf and ask for an explanation they will always be able to tell you why a bus did not operate rather than surmising reasons yourself

cdebru wrote:
    they have reduced the number of departures as far as i am aware the same number of buses are operating

That's interesting. So have they increased the number of buses during the week when they are maintaining about the same level of departures between the two routes?

• Advertisement

That's interesting. So have they increased the number of buses during the week when they are maintaining about the same level of departures between the two routes?

the 31b had a longer running time by reducing the number of departures on the 31b it allowed them to increase the running time on the 31 and keep nearly the same number of departures i would guess

they may also have added in buses refered to as universals that are not tied to one particular route

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭daymobrew

cdebru wrote:
    can i suggest when you notice a bus missing that you ring clontarf and ask for an explanation they will always be able to tell you why a bus did not operate rather than surmising reasons yourself
    While I've never thought to ring the garage at the time, I've often written to head office about a no show.

They have extensive records and will explain the problem.
    Contacting the garage is probably the quickest way to get answers because they deal directly with the drivers.

Please do provide feedback to Dublin Bus (and any other public body you have problems with) so that they know where the problems are. If any problems continue then you can reference earlier complaints.
    I don't work for DB/IR/CIE or anything like that, I just frequently provide feedback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Metrobest

The Aircoach has a wonderful new feature. On the website, you can check where the buses are in real-time. This means you needn't leave your house until the last moment, because you know where the bus is. On many of Dublin Bus's low-frequency routes, this would make passengers' lives a whole lot easier. With always-on broadband getting more widespread, it would be quite quite feasible for passengers to check where the bus is before heading down to the bus stop. Irregular buses are one thing, but going down to the bus stop to wait for an irregular bus that never comes is another kettle of fish entirely. Here is where the website would at least mean you didn't have to stand at the bus stop waiting for the bus that never comes, something with which many of us are familiar in Dublin! Let's hope Dublin Bus can introduce this technology for its buses and that the unions don't object.

Metrobest wrote:
    The Aircoach has a wonderful new feature. On the website, you can check where the buses are in real-time. This means you needn't leave your house until the last moment, because you know where the bus is. On many of Dublin Bus's low-frequency routes, this would make passengers' lives a whole lot easier. With always-on broadband getting more widespread, it would be quite quite feasible for passengers to check where the bus is before heading down to the bus stop. Irregular buses are one thing, but going down to the bus stop to wait for an irregular bus that never comes is another kettle of fish entirely. Here is where the website would at least mean you didn't have to stand at the bus stop waiting for the bus that never comes, something with which many of us are familiar in Dublin! Let's hope Dublin Bus can introduce this technology for its buses and that the unions don't object.

i know dublin bus have already introduced a similar tracking system on some routes and that they intend to introduce it across the network as the new ticket machines roll out it is part of the real time bus scheduling for bus stops where you get a time for the next bus at that stop
    the controller would have a gps tracking system so it would only be a matter of putting the information on a website it would already exist

daymobrew wrote:
    While I've never thought to ring the garage at the time, I've often written to head office about a no show.

They have extensive records and will explain the problem.
    Contacting the garage is probably the quickest way to get answers because they deal directly with the drivers.

Please do provide feedback to Dublin Bus (and any other public body you have problems with) so that they know where the problems are. If any problems continue then you can reference earlier complaints.
    I don't work for DB/IR/CIE or anything like that, I just frequently provide feedback.

if you phone the garage you are more likely to get an immediate response also they can inform you if the next bus is going to be there etc

also if it is a persistent problem the more people that complain directly to the depots or head office the more chance of it being fixed complaining to the driver of the next bus you get on to while it might might make you feel better for 10 seconds is a complete waste of time as they are not in a position to actually fix the problem

Advertisement