Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

pav or buttery

• 27-03-2005 7:11pm
    Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭

its the poll to end all polls.....

Pav or buttery 49 votes

pav
    0% 0 votes
    buttery
    42% 21 votes
    atari jaguar
    57% 28 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

The buttery (the bar area) really is crap.. always has been.

The pav has lost a lot of it's aesthetic character since it was made over to look like every other pub (cocktail bar?) in Dublin... But deep down it's still the same good ol' pav, with the same staff and same ol' bavaria!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

ApeXaviour wrote:
    with the same staff and same ol' bavaria!

Oh come on! That is soooo last year! Your average value conscious student is now tippling Tuborg - same price; better quality beer. Bavaria lost it when they started selling their beer *shock horror* on draught. They should have stayed true to their roots.

:cool: Listen ya little rapscallion.. Don't be tellin lies!

I'm sorry.. What price is tuborg in the buttery!?

In the pav bavaria is 4 for 7.50.. Last time I checked that's roughly around the same price as 3 cans of tuborg in the buttery so you can shove your "average value conscious student" BS up where the sun don't shine.. So they also started selling it on draught, so what? I didn't notice. You know the reason they did it though right? Diageo have the monopoly on draught beer.. this gets rid of that. Cheapest (and strongest) draught beer in the house. I'll stick to the cans myself however...

While tuborg is a nice tasting beer, have you ever tried to get drunk off it?? It's simply impossible.. I've drowned 12 cans of it before and it simply just doesn't do the job it's supposed to. Bavaria on the other hand would have me streaking magnificently across the cricket pitch after 12...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

its pretty much the same price - aside from a fraction of a percentage or two....

Don't you drink liquor Ape?!? :cool:

They should sell carlsberg elephant beer 7.2% and a nice taste......

Hackenbrau rocks! nice beer; 5%, 4 cans for a fiver.

• Advertisement

DrIndy wrote:
    Don't you drink liquor Ape?!? :cool:
    At heart I'm a beer man.. I only drink that stuff cos it costs me 5euro a litre to make. Hackenbrau is ok.
    If you really want to experience good beer though go to belgium. It's hard to pick from so many top quality beers but Duvel is certainly up there in the top 10..

Anyway back on topic.. Indy, you say a fraction of a percentage??? hardly.. Lets get this straight. Correct me if I'm wrong but since none of you are telling me, from my best recollection tuborg is 3 for 7 in the buttery. If this is correct then it's 25% more expensive than the bav in the pav.

I'm sorry the buttery bar sucks ass full stop. The atmosphere is non-existent, the staff are generally wa*kers, the booze is more expensive, you can't get drunk there, the layout is horrible, each table is too enclosed.

If I ever drink in the buttery.. it's in the main part of the dining hall when there is something on and otherwise we hijack one of the alcoves in the back and sneak our drink in..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Yuck, anytime I'm in the buttery, aside from the sheer lack of character or atmosphere, I'm reminded of the terrible, terrible food that I've had the misfortune of ingesting there in the past..not a good vibe when you're on the piss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭foxybrowne

Buttery, just cos I seem to end up there more often than Pav.

That's no reason! I end up eating kebabs more often after I get locked.. Doesn't mean they're healthy or taste nice!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭HomesickAlien

the buttery is better for the following reason:

you can buy tuborg at 6 cans for €7 in either M&S at stevens green or at centra on pearse street and they let you drink it at the buttery,
    "oh yeah, i... uhh... bought it here."

• Advertisement

Last time I was in the Buttery drinking was a good few weeks ago, they had some cool drum set in. Much prefer the inside of the buttery to the canteen place, but that night it was extremely busy and when I was there I was accosted by Mr. Indy trying to get me to homer-dance inside in the canteen place.

That was a good few weeks ago at this stage, and the place was electric that night. Some of the other nights the buttery are really good. Saying that, gimme the sun and the pav anyday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

I prefer the Buttery, normally more people I know there and more importantly the big screen for soccer matches is good. I was in the Pav the day of the Champions' League final last year and they only had it on one TV with no sound on while they had a Wales vs Argentina rugby match or something on with the sound on. Ridiculous.

That said I quite like the redone Pav and the marginally cheaper drink is good though I do also prefer Tuborg.

Myth wrote:
    when I was there I was accosted by Mr. Indy trying to get me to homer-dance inside in the canteen place.

:D

Homer Dance Homer Dance Homer Dance!

I prefer Tuborg, but the price of the pav cannot be beat.

Expect the mass buttery exodus to begin shortly as the weather warms and the Pav becomes Dublins biggest beer garden! You can be there in may and there are over a thousand people sitting on the grass! There have been known times when the worst of the worst came true - the Pav literally ran out of beer and the world came to an end until we went to Centra to top up.

Once they used to sell it straight out of the crate from a downstairs window to lessen the queue who were clogging up the main bar!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭HomesickAlien

DrIndy wrote:

I prefer Tuborg, but the price of the pav cannot be beat.

:eek: what?!! 6 tubie for €7 at centra cant beat the pav?!!

DrIndy wrote:
    There have been known times when the worst of the worst came true - the Pav literally ran out of beer and the world came to an end until we went to Centra to top up.

Think there was times last summer when we were jointly responsible for the Pav running out of beer! Of course, now that a certain Chris has returned home there shouldn't be as much problems this summer!

:eek: what?!! 6 tubie for €7 at centra cant beat the pav?!!
    They don't "let you".. Friends of mine have been kicked out before..

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭sleepingbeauty

The buttery does have the whole live music thing going on, but the pav's the pav. I know I'm totally biased but meh the pav rocks :)
    Cant wait to relax on the pitch on some nice summers evening next term :D

edit: i did originally say rugby pitch....it was on my mind :o lol (if you're wondering where kevs post came from.... :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

the rugby pitch? with all those country boyos playing ball? i prefer the dug thru mound that used to be the cricket thing. yeah i prefer the pav. to be honest, i'm not sure if i've even been in the buttery drinking til late if there wasnt a table quiz, gig or comedy night on. is it fun? the bar area has a really low ceiling and i'm always ducking my way tru thinking i'm going to hit my head even though i'm quite small. pav can be full of knobs thou and on a wet rainy night it's difficult to escape them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Pav has pear cider, so I'll actually drink there now. And its the cheapest pint of pear cider in the country as well @ 4.20.

that kopparberg is lovely. they sell it in pravda (sp?) too on liffet street

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭wayfarer

The layout of the Buttery doesnt encourage mixing with people outside the group you go with, which is why I choose the pav. The best nights are always the most random

that kopparberg is lovely. they sell it in pravda (sp?) too on liffet street

They sell it lots of places, usually at 5.50 a bottle.

name a few boston. i havent found it in any offos either. even seen golden cap on ur travels?

The front louge, porter house, the long stone pub. As for offie, the centra on camdon street does them for 2.50 a bottle, or so I was told.

thanks for that.i'll check those out so.

pear cider = swedish!

Its so scandinavian to drink pear cider, as is things like raspberry or redcurrant juice/wine........

kopparberg = swedish.

i've had cranberries, orange, strawberry actually lots. can i still call them ciders. well they;re ciders with apples swapped for orange as appropriate.

ritz, called perry is a pear cider, a dry pear cider, so it's disgusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Humblebee

Pear cider in Whelan's off license, Spar on Camden street, some shop in Drumcondra. It used to only be in bottles, but cans too now. Sine sells it, too...that's the first place i ever had it in ireland.

well i'm checking tomorrow you all better be telling the truth. or....a plague on both etc.

nothing gives me a hangover worse than cider, any ideas why indy? all the sugars?

• Advertisement

quantity mate, quantity........ :D

Cider is that little bit stronger than beer 4.5% V 5.5% and so it does more damage. Pace out your drinking with a pint of water in between or 2 pints beer and 1 pint water.

Never drink alcohol when you physically feel thirsty - makes for a bad day the next day - drink water and after you are no longer thirsty, then drink beer.

Eat before boozing and have a big breakfast the next day.

Disprin

ask a generic question get a generic answer. better than a geriatric answer i suppose. what u think of the usi indy?

I work for USI this year!

http://www.hea.ie/index.cfm/page/sub/id/881

This is my project - the Working Group on Undergraduate Medical Education and Training.

We are currently reviewing all aspects of medical education, including entry, funding and structure. We publish in a few weeks.........

USI from my perspective is a highly effective organisation, but most of the work is behind the scenes and distant from everyday student life. Hence, it seems aloof and mysterious.......

Image066.jpg

i'd like to just confirm that both spar and whelan's off license on wexford street sell, apple, pear and mixed fruit kopparbergs.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

i've only started drinking larger since i started college.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 princess happy

...i like kebabs.

• Advertisement

...i like kebabs.

Viva.

My personal preference is Turkish or Palestinian/Lebanese Kebabs......

But egyptian ones suffice!

Zaytoon on George's Street does the best kebab in town!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

how much is guiness in the respected bars? if its not too pricey, i might go back to drinking that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

As far as i remember, Guinness is 3.40 in the buttery. Never get one in the pav though, you need a seat if you're drinking guinness.

• Advertisement

As far as i remember, Guinness is 3.40 in the buttery. Never get one in the pav though, you need a seat if you're drinking guinness.

Could have sworn I was charged 3.60 on Thursday in the Buttery.

Myth wrote:
    Could have sworn I was charged 3.60 on Thursday in the Buttery.

I could be wrong, but 3.60 still aint bad

4.50 in doyles isn't it?

4.50 in doyles isn't it?

Sounds about right, although i no longer frequent doyle's (long story i'm not gonna get into).
    I've been charged up to and including a fiver for a pint in some places (though i can't remember where due to inebrity.)

go on we like long storys. doyles is quite good but there was a very strong smell of p1ss in there on friday night. disgusting.

i remember the first pint of guiness i bought was £2.10.

go on we like long storys.

It involves the boucers picking on my mate for no reason at all when they were emptying the place and throwing him about the place resulting in his arm breaking. The bouncer has since been fired (we were told) but i haven't been back in since to see. Plus the place is really only good if you're too pissed to notice how much of a dive it is.
    i remember the first pint of guiness i bought was £2.10.

Ah the days of proper monies, that made real noise when they jingled in your pocket. Stupid plastic emus.

I could be wrong, but 3.60 still aint bad

Ah yeah, well proper. And I think it's 4 euro before 12 in doyle's, 4.50 after 12.

€3.55 in Club Chonradh na Gaeilge on Harcourt Street, but seeing as its a private club, most of you won't be getting in, nyah!

foxybrowne wrote:
    most of you won't be getting in, nyah!

I will, nyah!

tá fhios agam sin, yeow, an praghas is fearr sa gcathair!

• Advertisement
Advertisement