Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

West Ham Players

• 27-03-2005 8:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭

I've been thinking about this for a bit now, how many quality players came out of the West Ham youth academy?

Rio Ferdinand
    Frank Lampard
    Joe Cole

Is there anyone else?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,655 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

smiaras wrote:

Glen Johnson not the best example

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Cole
    Ferdinand
    A. ferdinand
    Lampard
    Carrick
    Johnson
    Defoe
    Bywater
    there are more but im lazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

You have somehow managed to omit Gary Breen from your list.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Slash/ED wrote:
    You have somehow managed to omit Gary Breen from your list.

ROFL!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Di Canio

They had a great squad a few years ago . Like Forest I don't know how they got relegated, well I do but you know what I mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Thats just crazy like,

United's best crop of players produced

Butt - Premiership Class
    Giggs - World Class
    Beckham - World Class
    Scholes - World Class
    Neville - World Class
    P Neville- Premiership Class

A Cole - World Class almost :)
    Lampard - World Class
    Ferdinand - World Class
    A. ferdinand- Premiership Class
    Carrick - Good player
    Johnson- Premiership Class
    Defoe- Premiership Class
    Bywater - No idea :)

Thats 3 world class players, and three solid premiehsip players.
    Why oh why did they sell them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭case n basket

PHB wrote:
    Thats just crazy like,

Butt - Premiership Class
    Giggs - World Class
    Beckham - World Class
    Scholes - World Class
    Neville - World Class

Lampard - World Class
    Ferdinand - World Class
    Carrick - Good player
    Defoe- Premiership Class

Eh, Joe Cole, not Ashley Cole...

Some of those classifications are... interesting :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

PHB wrote:
    Thats just crazy like,

Butt - Premiership Class
    Giggs - World Class
    Beckham - World Class
    Scholes - World Class
    Neville - World Class

Lampard - World Class
    Ferdinand - World Class
    Carrick - Good player
    Defoe- Premiership Class

Glad that you brought this thread which was completely unrelated to united back around to them.

When did Ashley cole play for West Ham ?

Also I may be a bit out of it but I cannot remember Di Canio playing for West Ham youths.

46 mil received by west ham for Rio Ferdinand (plus whatever they got from his sale to united), Frank Lampard, Joe Cole, Jermaine Defoe, Glen Johnson and Michael Carrick, not a bad haul.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭case n basket

46 mil received by west ham for Rio Ferdinand (plus whatever they got from his sale to united), Frank Lampard, Joe Cole, Jermaine Defoe, Glen Johnson and Michael Carrick, not a bad haul.
    IIRC they got 18 for Ferdinand, 11 for Lampard, 6 for Cole, 7 for Defoe, 6 for Johnson and 3 for Carrick... 51 mill?

A cole was just a copy and paste, it wsa meant to be Joe Cole.

My point is Uniteds success was build around their youth team, and West Ham had the same standerd haul but somehow are now challenging for promotion.
    Thats just crazy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,655 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

joe cole has improved so much this season

luck for him robben is out for 2 more weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

Dont forget Frederic Kanouté(well,hes not from the youth,but he came out of West Ham.....). He's pretty quality,too.

Also I may be a bit out of it but I cannot remember Di Canio playing for West Ham youths.

Of Course he didn't , I was just expanding on the quality squad West Ham had and still got relegated. I had forgottenr Kanout was there at the time as well. Why did they get rid of harry? I think that was a big mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

smiaras wrote:

he is English.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

Frank Lampard fell out with the management and the fans got on his back a lot. 11 million for him was a great deal at the time.
    The Rio Ferdinand money bought a stand apparently. They also got some from a sell on clause i think. It was just too much to turn down at the time.
    Joe Cole and Glen Johnson left because the club were relegated and were stuck for cash. Both wanted to improve their chances of playing for england. Understandable from Cole but GJ had only played something like 11 games at the time. What was amazing was that Chelsea paid the same money for both (give or take a few hundred grand). I think the original deal was that GJ was going to be loaned straight back to west ham for a season or two bt when Ranieri saw him in training he said something like "this lad is too good, we'll keep him here". Joey Cole was also going to be loaned out to Spartak Moscow (i think - maybe CSKA) straight after signing but he kicked up a huge fuss about it and eventually he stayed.
    Defoe scored a load of goals on loan in the 2nd div, then came back to west ham and scored 9 or 10 the season they were relegated. Put in a transfer request the same day they were finally relegated. Bit of a mercenary as he left charlton as well to go to west ham so he could 'play with his mates' or something.
    Anton Ferdinand is very raw at the moment. Not premiership class yet. He also hasnt played that many games (about 20-25 i think) and has played more as a right back than as a central defender. He is the spit of Rio though and supposedly was a better player at his age than Rio was.
    Michael Carrick had been threatening to leave for years. He was an excellent player for WHU, especially after Lampard left. He was cracking in the goals until he changed his style of play to a more defensive role. He will do the buisiness for spurs and will be an england player again soon.
    Bywater was actually bought from Rochdale in 98. He looks like he could be a good keeper but tends to make a few mistakes.

A lot of west ham fans that i know blame Terry Brown (the chairman) for West Hams problems. The amazing thing is that despite all the money they made from the sales of the family silverware, they are still in debt. They regularly have crowds of 25000-30000 so that isnt the problem. A lot of money was wasted on crap imports by Harry & co also - Radociou, Boogers, Abou (must have eaten a dodgy missionary), Dani, etc. Saying that though, Harry saved them a couple of times with players like Hartson & Kitson.

When they appointed Glenn Roeder though, they went from bad to worse. Especially when he and the board fell out with DiCanio. That ruined squad morale and even when mr popular (Trevor Brooking) came in, he couldnt save them.
    PHB wrote:
    My point is Uniteds success was build around their youth team, and West Ham had the same standerd haul but somehow are now challenging for promotion.
    West Ham won the FA Youth cup and most of those players werent even in it. They just couldnt kick on from it. Also a thing to remember is that ManU are considered a big club, not too many would try (or succeed) at poaching their youngsters. The same couldnt be said for west ham. And about the only thing West Ham are challenging for at the moment is 6th place. They are doing terribly - AND the premiership parachute money stops for them this year. They have to do it now or maybe never....

To finish, a quote from Harry: "Even when they had Moore, Hurst and Peters, West Ham's average finish was about 17th. It just shows how crap the other 8 of us were"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

LOL !!! Rio and quality in the same sentance, very funny. Rios an over rated ball watcher, just ask Crespo :)

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

BolBill wrote:
    LOL !!! Rio and quality in the same sentance, very funny. Rios an over rated ball watcher, just ask Crespo :)
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

BolBill wrote:

Very informative contribution. You were missed in your absence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

The Muppet wrote:
    Very informative contribution. You were missed in your absence.

Yeah sorry, just cant stand Rio, think its funny that everyone rates him.

Had to take some time off, glad you missed me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Emmo

In all fairness Rio is a very good centre back and does a great job for United. He should be partnered with someone who attacks the ball in the air and will break people up via fair tackles instead of The baked Bean or Sivestre.

I would personally love to see Rio and Jamie Carragher as Liverpool's centre backs.

I think Rio would compliment Jamie perfectly, speedy and good at sweeping up while Jamie man marks and tough tackles.

Only issue would be Jamie's height against expirements in vertical nonsense like Peter Crouch, that said he wouldnt get a free header and I think Jamie would do enough to make sure that any header won would be off target.

Crespo should never have got a free header against United, poor from Rio but also poor from the rest of the team.

Emmo

If Rio is **** please explain this statistic:

Man United's goals concedded
    With Rio in the team: 11 in 24
    Without Rio in the team: 6 in 6
    An average of one per game to an average of below a half a game, what does that tell you about him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Emmo

statistics can be made to say anything you want, I hate when people bring stupid statistics like this into play. You need to qualify that statistic with a few caveats please.

1st who did they play without him and who did they play with him

2nd where they home or away games?

3rd who played with him, ie his team!

4rth how many mins did he play in those games

This is the same as the Liverpool win more games without Steven Gerrard statistic.

Bottom line, I dont know any Liverpool fan that wouldnt want Gerrard in the team and yet people still try to say we win more without him.

Rio is a good player, at times he looks sloppy and can ball watch when the ball is whipped in from wide but along the deck there is no one better at sweeping at the moment, IMO.

He needs to improve his concetration on highballs and in man to man situations (corners, free kicks etc etc) but I would rather have him on my team that against my team.

Emmo

Advertisement