Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Setanta cup: Cork v Shels

• 27-03-2005 8:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭

Pretty big game this, if it isn't 'must win' for Shels than it's definitely 'must not lose' and the same goes for Cork. I fully expect Cork to take minimum 4 points off Portadown but more than likely 6, as they will be in full swing when it comes around to playing them and Portadown will have one eye on their league, so if Shels lose this one than they're pretty much out of the tournament already. The village ;) are due a win over us at this stage, christ how long has it been!? but lets hope it's not tomorrow. If it's a draw than Shels must beat Portadown away from home, not easy, and beat Cork at home. It's doable, but difficult. If it's a win than it's made a hell of alot easier for us, though going to Portadown to get a win will be very difficult.

For Cork, if they win, it's between them and Portadown to see who makes the final really. A loss and they'll have to do the double over Portadown, not exactly easy, and goto Tolka and get a result. So it's going to be a pretty tense affair, there's alot at stake in the competition and of course pride as well. I'll be there anyway, lets hope it's a good game.

Shels apparently are likely to start with the team that beat Rovers if Crawford can prove his fitness, but he's a major doubt. If he's out, a few things could happen. Hoolahan in as a direct replacement in mid field (Which is the team I'd start with no matter how fit Crawford is), Hoolahan in and on the left with Moore moving to the middle or Cahill (A massive favourite with the Corkie faithful...) in and on the left, Moore moving to the middle. Ryan, Ndo and Fitzpatrick are all definitely out, other than those four we've no doubts afaik.

For Cork, O'Flynn is struggling with injury for a change and is looking like he wont be fit but Doyle is back from U21 duty and can play, I think that apart from that they've a fully fit squad to choose from.

COME ON SHELS!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Should be a good game. Both teams have alot to prove, and a win for either team could go a long way to paving the path to the final.

City will be up for this, the Shels hoodoo has been going on for almost 3 years now, and tomorrow night is as good a night as any to end it.

Crowd wise, Im not sure how many will be there, as the tedium levels of the 2nd half against Bray on Friday were through the roof.

Are you travelling Slash???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

I am yeah, I'm going on one of the supporters buses. And you're right about the Shels hoodoo, the fact we've such a good record against you is what's worrying me the most, it has to end soon :(

I'd rather it was in the league as we've pretty much no way back into this if we lose tomorrow.

Cool. How many buses ye have coming down? If I remember correctly, last year on Easter monday ye brough 2 or 3?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

Big game alright. Shels have gotten off to a disapointing start to the Sentanta Cup, the team not coming together etc. Well it looks a bit better now, more cohesive if thats the word. Baker is on fire.

Hopefully we can get a win out of this. its not going to be easy at all. I expect the trip to Cork to be very difficult and it probably will be a sell out game going by Corks gate attendences.

Forza Shels :D!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

gimmick wrote:
    Cool. How many buses ye have coming down? If I remember correctly, last year on Easter monday ye brough 2 or 3?

I haven't a clue, the bloke on the phone didn't say and I think we buy our tickets when we get there like a normal league game. I'd imagine it'll be pretty much the same as the last Easter monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Im really looking forward to this one. WE haven't beaten Shels in 9 games so hopefully tomorrow will change that statistic. The games have been pretty tight in recent times with the luck going Shels way so I expect the same again tomorrow.

There should be good crowd there and hopefully the match can live up to its hype.

PS. Ollie (the crow) Cahill will get another great reception from the Shed & Corner boys don't worry about that. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Id be looking forward to this one................but I don't have Setanta so :(:(:( .I hope most of the big games this year in the league and cup are on TG4 and RTÉ because im really getting into the Eircom League and don't want to miss much .

Can TV3 show highlights of the Setanta Cup on their monday show ?

I doubt it. Setanta must make it exclusive for their viewers I'd say. It might be on in the local though. If its not, tell them to change the channel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Feck it.

Was out on the gargle last night, and only got up at half four, no chance of getting to the game now. :mad:

We have to win this one to keep our chances in the competition alive.

I hope Alan Moore doesn't play, and Ollie Cahill starts on the left wing for Shels.

FORZA SHELS

• Advertisement

By the way Big Ears, you can get live match updates here. Click on the ""Live Updates" link in the "Matchzone" section. Might be a bit biased, but at least you'll be able to follow the game.

********THIS POST HAS THE SCORE IN IT*************

Half time. 0-0

Decent enough game, with defences on top. Pitch is in dire condition, not helped by the rain.

Cork had a couple of chances, and should have scored from a well delivered free kick, but their player couldn't do the business.

Jason Byrne had Shels' best chance, but volleyed wide from the corner of the box.

The ref is giving some very strange decisions to say the least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

pssst sean anyone with larger than 800x600 desktop will see the score at the same time as the THIS POST HAS SCORE IN IT message ;)

ehh come on cork lesser of 2 evils i suppose.

kdjac

nice one seansouth ! Come on shels , we need to win this.

FORZA SHELS :D

***EDIT :

that link on shels web doesnt work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

FT: 1-0 Cork. Behan (I think).

Two red cards. Gamble for Cork, tho we didn't see why. Crawley for Shelbourne as he and O'Callaghan went to headbutt each other at the same time. No punishment for O'C tho, but still, stupid move by Crawley.

Pretty bad game tbh. Shels realistically out of Setanta cup IMO.

You bleedin scumbag Gerogie Boy O'Callaghan, that was worse than Rivaldo at the world cup, you complete scumbag, diving fúcker, he never went near you.

I don't know why Gamble walked, but Crawley never deserved to go.

I don't know why that second goal was disallowed either, but still, the villagers show how scummy they really are. O'Callaghan should be banned for the rest of the competition for that disgraceful act of cowardice.

Scum.

Loving listening to Dolan, no longer a part of CCFC yet his tongue must be sandpaper brown at this point. He really needs to at least give fair judgement. Complete with how TERRIBLE the commentators are, (Pronounce Fenlon "Fenton" and can't shut up about this wonderful Setanta cup cup tie, headwrecking!) made for not very enjoyable watching tbh.

dreadful result. very disapointed in with fenlon this season. I think were almost out of the Sentanta Cup already !!

Pat Dolan is a sad man perplexed by Shelbourne.

That commentator who kept saying "Fenton" was a bit of a fool alright, and it was annoying. Not as annoying as the presenter guy saying Shel-born.

O'Callaghan is a cheat.

My what a "sityeashun". :mad:

• Advertisement

It was funny, just after Gamble was sent off and Rico was going mad, Fenlon was just standing there laughing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Can't believe O'Callaghan. He went into this match with a superb reputation and was the best player on the pitch but has to ruin all that with a Rivaldo. He won't get banned, no doubt about that but Crawley's card will be overturned (as should Gamble's but I wouldn't be too sure). Good thing Fenlon had a few minutes chat with Collins after the match. I can only imagine what he would have said on camera if he was first in to the press. :D

Only really seen the second half but it was some goal by Behan. Second goal should have stood from what I seen. What is the average age of the Cork team btw? Doyle, Kearney, O'Flynn, O'Callaghan, Gamble, Behan...

Have to say too, the 4th official was better than anything you'd get in England. Tried to calm the coaches down which is better than sending them to the stand. If they haven't learned to calm themselves down at this stage in their life they never will and referee's will just have to accept that they will get emotional.

seansouth wrote:

the villagers show how scummy they really are. O'Callaghan should be banned for the rest of the competition for that disgraceful act of cowardice.

Scum.

Best post you have ever made Seasouth. It has me in tears of ironic laughter. A Shels fan saying another team are scummy? A fan of the team who have intimidated refs on the pitch, bullied officials off it. Any team who has a player like Owen Heary in it (and Im not taking from his ability here), cannot call any other team scummy, with accusations of pot, kettle and black.

Wasn't at the game, so havent seen the incident, so wont comment. Great result, but
    Einst&#252 wrote: »
    Shels realistically out of Setanta cup IMO.
    a comment like that I dont understand, if Shels beat City in Tolka, its back to square one.l Its results Vs Portadown, who I am NOT writing off, will determine who goes through.
    What is the average age of the Cork team btw?

Mick Devine is 30, Billy Woods is 31(maybe 32?), George is 25, the rest are under 24. Behan is 21, as is Doyle. Kearney 20, J O Flynn and Dan Murphy 22 and Gamble, Murray, Bennet 23. Very young side. Bodes well for the future.

A win against Portadown and City that results in +5 goal difference from those two games and Shels would be very incredibly strong favourites .

That most likely isn't going to happen but the statement that Shels are gone is untrue .

I wasn't having a go at the team or club gimmick, rather O'Callaghan. You have seen the comments :
    eirebhoy wrote:
    Can't believe O'Callaghan. He went into this match with a superb reputation and was the best player on the pitch but has to ruin all that with a Rivaldo
    he quite simply went down like he had been shot, when Crawley didn't even go near him. Fair enough, you haven't seen it so you can't comment, but I most certainly was not having a go at the club, and I take my comment
    seansouth wrote:
    the villagers show how scummy they really are
    back. It wasn't the club I intended to have a go at at all, just O'Callaghan. Apologies on that one.

I'm still at a loss as to why Gamble was sent off though, Rico went ape.

As for our chances of progessing in this tournament go, I don't hold out much hope, even if we beat your lot in Tolka, I think you will beat Portadown twice, they weren't any great shakes, and it was only dire defending on our part that let them in for two, if not three of their goals.

Behan scored a cracker tonight, but our defence stood off, especially Davey Scouse. I want him out of the side, and Harris back in at centre half.

Off Topic : Big Ears,you need to change your prediction for this seasons eL

Sean ive told you already , all predictions will be changed in May to coicide with the Premiership season , lucky for me this leaves me to precit the leaders of the Eircom league as the winners makeing me look like I actually know something :p .

I can see Cork only getting a draw away to Portadown and thats why I have started to talk about goal difference , I really feel it will be important .

I was wondering how the groups are decided in the event of teams having the same points.
    Tournament format
    The six clubs shall be divided into two groups of three clubs. No group shall contain the three representatives of one Association. Each team shall play the other two teams in the group on a home and away league basis. Three points shall be awarded for a win and one point for a draw. The club that accrues the most points in each group shall qualify for the final. In the event of equality of points to determine which club qualifies for the final from a group, the following procedures to separate the clubs shall be implemented in sequence until a winner is determined:

Greater goal difference.
    Most goals scored.
    Direct match result(s).
    Best fair play record (1 point for each yellow card and 3 points for each red card received by players). :eek:
    Draw of lots.

Bloody hell, Eircom league weekly is already on. TV3. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Ha ha, referee and linesmen were a joke. Disallowed a perfectly good cork goal, and two stupid red cards that both times should have been a yellow the other way. Also gave yellows for little or nothing six times. By the second red i couldn't stop laughing. Thought it was a joke, and the real game was on after this scit...but it wasn't. Gutted we lost, but to be fair Cork deserved the win and should have won by more. Hard to see shells getting out of the group now :/
    Shells better start to gel quick, or we could have a difficult season ahead of us. Setanta and Europe already don't look good on this form.

• Advertisement

DubGuy22 wrote:
    l quick, or we could have a difficult season ahead of us. Setanta and Europe already don't look good on this form.

But you have already won the league and qualified for the Champions league group stages.

Why worry?

kdjac

eirebhoy wrote:
    Bloody hell, Eircom league weekly is already on. TV3. :mad:
    Thanks for that, catching the second half now. Sigh, damn tv3!!

As for my comments on Shels and the Setanta cup, I firmly believe that Shels have not gelled properly as a team, and are not playing well at all at the moment. Wether or not we are in form by the next two games may change my mind, but at the moment I would be pesemistic.

DubGuy22 wrote:
    Shells
    Shels.

We don't play at the seaside (yet)

Incidentally, I've not watched the TV3 show yet this season. Who is on the Panel with Kinger now that Rico is off down in the village?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

seansouth wrote:
    he quite simply went down like he had been shot, when Crawley didn't even go near him.

haha, ah now. Thats not exactly how it went.

They went in shoulder to shoulder and OC made a complete meal of it, it shocking i agree. But to he didnt even go near him is a bit of a understatement.

Sure enough, they went shoulder to shoulder.

But O'Callaghan was completely at fault for what he did, and nothing can convince me otherwise.

Crawley could have fallen down like he had just taken a snipers bullet too, but he didn't. The difference? Honesty. Simple as. O'Callaghan cheated, he cheated Crawley, he cheated Shelbourne FC, he cheated the referee, he cheated his manager, he cheated fans of football, he cheated the people who paid in to the match, he cheated his team mates, he cheated himself.

O'Callaghan is a diving cheat.

• Advertisement

seansouth wrote:
    Crawley could have fallen down like he had just taken a snipers bullet too, but he didn't. The difference? Honesty. Simple as. O'Callaghan cheated, he cheated Crawley, he cheated Shelbourne FC, he cheated the referee, he cheated his manager, he cheated fans of football, he cheated the people who paid in to the match, he cheated his team mates, he cheated himself.

Thanks you for that i swear i wet myself laughing and thats my new sig too.

kdjac

:D

If you're going to quote me, you could at least include my name!

seansouth wrote:
    Sure enough, they went shoulder to shoulder.

But O'Callaghan was completely at fault for what he did, and nothing can convince me otherwise.

O'Callaghan is a diving cheat.

if one of your players dives to get a peno that lets you qualify for the champions league group stages, something tells me you wont be going off on a rant about that.

if one of your players dives to get a peno that lets you qualify for the champions league group stages, something tells me you wont be going off on a rant about that.
    That hasn't happened, so ssshhh. No point making accusations about fictional events here!

I think you are missing my point.

There was no need for O'Callaghan to act like a coward tonight. The match was practically over, his team gained zero advantage from his actions.

Look, I accept this type of thing is par for the course in football, I'm not living in some dreamland, but come on, to do something like that is reprehensible. There is a difference between winning your team a penalty in an important match, we'd all do it, and going down like a depraved whore in the last minute of a match, at a time when the match is over, your team is winning and the other team haven't even created one shot on target all game.

• Advertisement

i bet he was thinking "heres my chances to even up the player count" and he took it. I bet he regrets it now though.

he gonna get some abuse for it.

I'm just back from the match. Great 2nd half.

We watched the post match analysis in the pub and George did dive. Crawley should get that card rescinded. By the same token I think Joe Gamble did not deserve to get his red card.

I thought the match was very tight and there is very little between the 2 sides. I though Shels were excellent in the 1st half and really dominated.
    But, the second half belonged to City. Gamble, Georgie, Kearney and Doyle really turned up the tempo and should have really punished Shels more.

Pity about the crowd - only 4000 id say. If it wasnt raining there would have been another 2000 there at least.

WE HAVE TO COVER THE ST. ANNES END

I forgot to say, what a goal from Behan. WoW.

I keep missing Eircom League weekly , what a **** timeslot to have it on at though , thats one of the main reasons I miss it .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

O' Callaghan was man-of-the-match by an absolute mile until he went and spoiled it all by that ridiculous dive. There isn't another word for it other than cheat.

Shels have been VERY poor so far this season, and Dave Rogers is a massive liability at centre half. He gave the ball away extremely softly for the goal and the misunderstandings at the back were shocking. Colin Hawkins played well, but he was just about the only decent Shels performer on the night. Glen Crowe only seems to be getting balls in about a foot over his head with his back to goal, about 35 yards from goal.

Big tactical changes needed Pat.

Cork definitely deserved the win.

You are letting me down people. Rivaldo got an absolute slating by the media and everyone in football after what he did. O'C deserves the same. At least don't try to back him up.

I'm not

While Ill never condone cheating, George has been on the short end of it all too often in his City career, most notably when Shels own Honker Hwwkins (when playing for Bohs), did pretty much the exact same thing a few seasons back. George walked, Honker walked away with a grin.

As for Gambles sending off, it was supposedly for retaliation, but the TV camera simply showed him throwing a shoulder as he got up. That pretty much happens after every foul. Though the reports say he threw a head butt. if it was the latter, he deserved to walk, but Gamble isnt that type of player.

I would imagine both will be rescinded. I wonder wil there be repurcusions for George though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Crawley led with his head last night. What did he expect? I know George made a meal of it but hey, that's football.. You simply cannot compare it to what Rivaldo did.

Anyway, it was an entertaining game, City had the better of the play. Some major surgery needs to be done on that shels team, jason byrne and glen crowe just dont work together, and it looks like crowe is justthere for the paypacket.

Denis Behan's goal was a cracker, a better goal you're not likely to see all season to be honest.

As for Joe Gambles sending off, it puzzled me. Mainly cause A) The referee had blown up for a city free kick after harris had fouled him, yet after gamble got sent off Shels took the free.. WTF?? and B) Gamble just got up and appeared like he was just walking away.. In all fairness Gamble's about 5'7 and harris is about 14 foot tall, where'd he headbutt him, the armpit? it seemed unbelieveably harsh.

After watching the game again in the pub afterwards and seeing Fenlon's smug fcuking grin as gamble was walking off and Damien Richardson was remonstrating with the 4th official, I was thrilled Crawly got sent off.. Fenlon almost popped a blood vessal in his head shouting and screaming, mainly cause our goalkeeping Coach Phil Harrington was winding him up as well! Biscuits ya legend.. And he went straight fort Georgie after the game as well, I'm no lip reader but i think Georgie just told him to fcuk off..

Poor crowd due to the weather, only about 4 thousand (still twice as much as your average shels gate though, if not more)..

Still though, great night..

Roar wrote:
    Crawley led with his head last night. What did he expect? I know George made a meal of it but hey, that's football.. You simply cannot compare it to what Rivaldo did.
    But if it was reversed and it was Crawley going to the ground I bet you could compare it to Rivaldo. :) Nothing touched O'Callaghan's head. The same way the ball didn't touch Rivaldo's face. I really don't see how you can distinguish the two.

• Advertisement
Advertisement