Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lyrid meteor shower peaking April 22nd

Options
  • 27-03-2005 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭

I have heard about certain groups of meteors showers through out the year from certain constellations. Ok, I'm going to try find watch this one from Lyra. Sadly it seems that it only gets a rating of 10/hour. Knowing how fast these disappear you could easily miss half of them... are these worth watching? For the Lyrids... it seems 2am-5am is the best time...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Thats not entirely true about the ZHR (Zenith Hourly Rate) hamster! many years go by when a burst in excess of 40 meteors an hour are seen on the night of maximum!
    And yes, after midnight from a dark site, li back, wrap up warm, sip your soup, and watch the stars fall!

Seanie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

I'll keep my gloved-up fingers crossed then... and thankfully the 22nd is a Friday night. :) Actually you remind me.. Occasionally I see the odd one. One last week out of the corner of my eye... a v.short lived nice yellow streak. No idea but from memory it seemed the burn crossed about 2-3 degrees of the sky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭albertw

Seanie M wrote:
    Thats not entirely true about the ZHR (Zenith Hourly Rate)

Though the ZHR means just that, the rate if the radiant was directly above. Lyra is fairly low down at this time of year...

Cheers,
    ~Al

Advertisement