Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Second-hand outboards - where?

• 27-03-2005 10:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a couple of second-hand outboards.

In particular, a 4 or 5 hp and a 30hp+

Four-stroke would be great, especially for the 30hp but I'd consider 2-stroke.

Also, if there were free, that'd be great too icon12.gif

Any ideas - Dublin or Galway area.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

I've got a 6 horse johnson I'm selling. Long shaft, pull start, runs VERY smooth. Spent a few days over the winter fine tuning it and it seemed to be time well spent. Right now it's being annoying and being hard to start. I'm gonna fix this and sell it. I'm looking for what I paid for it ~450 ono. I'm looking for a 20-30 horse to upgrade too (wanna turn my speedboat into an actual speedboat since it's a 'slowboat' now). You're welcome to see it going. I'm keeping it in Carrick at the moment, if you wanna see it run and test drive we can arrange something, or to see it in a tank in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 944 ✭✭✭SwampThing

Thanks Wez, but I'll look a little longer. I might be back though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Burke

wez

u know u can't just upgrade a engine to a boat. u've to make sure (1)it doesn't effect the balance of the boat and (2)that the transom can take the pressure.

just in case u didn't know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Felstorm

yeah there was a funny case in our club a while back where one of the junior instructers gunned the outboard on the back of the (very) old committee boat a bit too much and put a nice semi circle hole where the bracket is. Very amusing to watch as i sailed past.

Yeh Burke, I know all about that. The biggest my boat can take is a 50 hp. I'd be seriously worried about what Felstorm saw happening to me.

• Advertisement

it could. by the look of ur boat it doesn't look like a 50hp could. doesn't look like the transom could take the pressure! i could be wrong though!

Well, I'm planning on only getting around a 30 then I'll sell it and buy a bigger maybe newer one. I have some fibreglass that I could use to support the transom a bit. If it's built to take a 50, it shouldn't take much work to make sure it'll do it safely. The guy I bought my boat off has had a few of the same one. He's the one that said 50, and he seems to know what he's talking about..

Wez wrote:
    The guy I bought my boat off has had a few of the same one. He's the one that said 50, and he seems to know what he's talking about..

Well he will say that to sell it to you!

It was after I'd bought it, met him at a music festival on the shannon and he was talking about how good it looked after I did some work on it. He seemed like the kinda guy that wouldn't care if he sold it or not. He wasn't actually selling it, I just offered to buy it.

alright that's cool! just be sensible about it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Felstorm

A good idea (what they did after the incident) was to put a big metal plate all around the hole to support it and it hasnt failed yet.

Advertisement