Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Television above fireplace safe?

Options
  • 28-03-2005 4:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭

Our sitting room is being done up at the moment. It will be plastered shortly so if I want to get things done I have to do them now.

Basically I was wondering if it's safe to put a LCD above a fireplace?

We have a stove thing rather than a fireplace a bit like:

6325082.jpg

built into where the fireplace was so it come out further than the original fire.

The wall above dosen't seem to get too hot though. Apart from the heat, the fact that it would be bolted onto the chimney space might cause problems too I'm guessing. Has anyone experienced anything similar?

Would be nice to have the cables hidden in the wall.

I wanted to put in surround sound cabling but when my parents heard "5 speakers" they was a very quick NO!!

It just seems like the best and only chance there'd be to run cables round the room. How easy is it to run "cable holding tube things" :o around a room?

Appreciate any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Wouldnt normally be recommended with the heat issues, but if you dont think itll be a problem i'd say go for it. The only problem I could see arising is the viewing angle. How high exaclty is the stove? Obviously the normal viewing angle is straight on due to the height of most tv's and furniture. But if the LCD is going to end up four or five feet off the ground its going to be a fairly harsh angle to be watching tv at. You'll be looking up at the tv which might end up being akward.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

I wouldn't do it.... I'm sure the heat wouldn't be great from the plastic, and the liquid might get more liquidy with heat causing display issues. I may be wrong.

John

Advertisement