Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Casillas to Utd?

• 28-03-2005 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭

BBC covers it here

Could be very good news for Utd fans. And the beeb seem to be reporting it very confidently. If I was a Man U fan this would be the happiest news all season. I'm not though. So I hope he stays the hell out of England! :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I saw it this morning, heard about it on redissue yesterday, its just ****ing fantastic news.
    However it hasn't been helped by Buffon saying he wants to stay in Italy, ****er :/
    He better moev, then Casillas can move :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Doesn't sound all that promising to be honest. Sounds to me like he's having a poke at Real Madrid about renewing his contract more than anything else. Plus, since Fergie openly admits that he blew this year's transfer budget on Wayne Rooney last September, I'd be surprised if he has the money to go after a big name like Casillas unless there's been a radical change in Uniteds financial policy.

Gill has stated about 20 times that there will be money availible for a new keeper since both Caroll and Ricardo are leaving.
    He isn't stupid, and sees the fact we've went out of the CL for two years in a row partly or entirly due to a keeper error.

I also think he might be having a poke at Real Madrid renewing his contract, but he knows how good he is, and I would imagine he is having issue at Raul getting twice his wages and whathave.
    Real have also declared their intention to bring in new names int he summer, with Buffon being a suggested target.
    http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.asp?hlid=265430&CPID=21&CLID=&lid=8&title=Buffon+not+interested+in+Real&channel=Italy
    Buffon however has said he wants to stay in Italy :/

I think Casillas wants to get paid the same amount as the top players, and if he doesn't united will pay it to him. Also the fact that Real Madrid are looking quite **** this year would probably help him want to move, especially since he is behind a **** defense, somethign that no keeper likes i'd imagine.

He also added to that interview, not put in by BBC
    "There are a lot of questions to be answered before I could leave Madrid but I like The Premiership and United is one of the few clubs that I would go to if I were to leave Spain.

"That is because of its history, tradition, supporters and the way they treat their players.

"I've spoken with (United boss) Sir Alex Ferguson several times after matches and I know that he likes me."

I remain hopeful :)
    Either way, there are a series of keepers who seem to be strongly linked with United, Toldo and Frey would also be welcome.

Summer signings of Casillas and Essien, and maybe some unknown dutch/spanish whizkid winger would make me quite happy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Real Madrid would be stupid to sell him, he has been their best player by a mile this season.

edit - read the article and I see his contract is up next season. I wouldn't be surprised to see him resign tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

United are claiming they dont have the cash because they dont want their transfers getting highjacked.

If Casillas was available Im sure they could get the funds available to buy him. As was the case with Rooney, if such an opportunity comes along, you take it. Casillas is only 24, so he has another ten years in him, even if they had to pay 20M it would only be two million a year.

• Advertisement

Add to that, since it will be only one year lfet on his contract, he won't go for full price, more about 75% since Real Madrid will know they could loose him for nothing the year after, and if they don't sign a replacement before then, theres no way they could drop him to punish him.
    IMO the only way he isn't moving out is if Real Madrid cough up the money for a super contract, and convince him to stay.
    I'm really hoping that doesn't happen, that they sign Buffon, and we get one of the best keepers in the world :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Casillas is in contract talks and then linked with Man utd :eek:

Wow theres somfin new, i wonder if he will sign again for real but get 4m a year wages. Utd are a great club to be linked with in contract talks with your club.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

No doubt Unitet are interested and will find the money is he decides to sign However there is the possibility that he is just trying to get an improved new contract for himself. That said Real do not like spending big on defence,{ they let Makellel go } the question is will they make the same mistake twice. I hope so but I doubt they will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭David19

Sounds like someone wants a big new deal at Real. I doubt Real would be stupid enough to let him go. He's the best keeper in the world and is only 24. Real are a bigger club and he'd make more money there. Can't see it happening tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Makaveli wrote:
    Real Madrid would be stupid to sell him, he has been their best player by a mile this season.

edit - read the article and I see his contract is up next season. I wouldn't be surprised to see him resign tbh.
    :eek:

I read that as "resign". You know, stop playing, and I thought that would be a bit Machiavelian wouldn't it.

But then I re-read it. Did you mean re-sign? As in sign again for Real?

Good news for United if true, but I doubt it.

• Advertisement

Even if it doesn't materialise, its a goos sign because its a sign of intent from Fergie to buy a top top quality goalie.
    We’ll very likely find out this summer, as United are expected to make a £12m bid, although sceptics will say that he is only hinting at the possibility of the move to get a better contract offer from Real. The Madrid keeper had this to say over the weekend, "For a long time Manchester United have been interested in me. An offer has been put to my agent but, for me, money is not everything in life. There are a lot of questions to be answered before I could leave Madrid but I like the Premiership and United is one of the few clubs that I would go to if I were to leave Spain.

"That is because of its history, tradition, supporters and the way they treat their players. I've spoken with Sir Alex Ferguson several times after matches and I know that he likes me."

His contract is up at the end of next season, and he has already decided that if he leaves Madrid he will be going abroad, "there is no way that I would go to another Spanish club".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

perhaps those rumours a few weeks ago about carroll to madrid weren't all that daft.

although its unlikely madrid would swap one of their biggest assets and best keepers in the world for carroll, it could be a sweetener.

12m would be about right, he'd be worth 15-18m id say. 12m + out of contract carroll (who lets be honest isnt a rubbish keeper an has good experience) could well tempt madrid, if of course casillas doesnt want to renew his contract.

Now thats getting ludicrous :)
    That said, isn't the Real Madrid backup goalie looking to leave for somewhere? I can't think of his name, but i'm sure liverpool or someone was after him?
    THen again, why would Carolll go from number 2 at united to number 2 in real madrid if he wants to play first team football ;)

I must emphasise, there are only two ways this deal will happen:
    Casillas decides he wants to leave Real Madrid, due to either lack of wages or some sort of ambition thing
    Real Madrid buy Buffon and thus Casillas leave

Even after that, United will face compo to get him.
    That said, I've been hurt before, with Solari :/

smemon wrote:
    12m + out of contract carroll (.

you cant really offer out of contract players in deals, it kinda defeats the purpose of being out of contract.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

seansouth wrote:
    :eek:

I read that as "resign". You know, stop playing, and I thought that would be a bit Machiavelian wouldn't it.

But then I re-read it. Did you mean re-sign? As in sign again for Real?

Good news for United if true, but I doubt it.

Re-sign indeed, ah the follies of the English language eh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

ziggy67 wrote:
    I to beat the best you have to buy the best and Utd would be getting Madrids cast-offs.

All i can say is LOLOLOLOLOLOOLOLOLOLOLOL

kdjac

ziggy67 wrote:
    I glad i amused you ;) but look at it this way, if this Buffon thing is happening (which i seriously doubt) then Madrid are going after probably the worlds best goalie. Why aren't Utd going for him too?

Casillias is the worlds best goalie, there is no question of that. He is using Utd to get a bigger contract if it backfires he can go to Utd and get the bigger contract. He is Real Madrids number 1 keeper and Spains and if you watch Real they really need him, hes their most influential player. And hes only 24 :eek:

Madrid cast off hehehhehehe

Some times players are sold for reasons other than skill, Makele for one wanted 60k a week same as other midfielders (he was on 20k.

kdjac

Thats just blain old stupid ziggy :)
    By that logic, United shouldn't buy anybody at all whatsoever from the top clubs, because that would mean they are buying cast offs :rolleyes:

Casillas is arguably the best keeper in the world, defo in the top 3.
    Its more to do with Real Madrid's stupidity that they can't see where there problem lies that they want to buy Buffon, rather than United PLC lack of ambition.

And even if it was the case, I think you would find nobody else in the entire world who doesnt think buying Casillas wouldn't improve our chances of winning the CL

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Regardless, Casillas is still a hell of a lot better than Carroll or Howard... it would still be an improvement for United. I wouldn't see him as a panacea (sorry guys, I know its a big word :p) for United's problems though - they've been pretty solid at the back all season.

Methinks the whole "Buffon to Real" is the club doing the same thing though. If you can follow my logic for a second...
    1) Real offer new contract.
    2) Casillas asks for substantially more money.
    3) Real declare interest in Buffon. (i.e. Casillas is not irreplacable and therefore not worth as much to them.)
    4) Casillas says United are interested in signing him and he'd like to go there "because they treat their players so well".
    5) Both sides agree that the other has a stong position. They compromise. Deal done.

Yeah, thats what most people read into it, and I tend to agree :)
    I remain hopeful however :) Especially since BUffon told em to **** off :)

--

United can't compete with Madrid or Chelsea because they are a PLC.
    That said, United's finance ensure that they will be here in 50 years, while Chelsea's Ambrovimich will be long gone. TBH i'd rather it my way for the long run ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

i cant imagine him leaving real/spain. alot of players talk up moving when negotiating a deal ala keane/celtic.

i read during the week that sebastian frey was interested in joining utd.

just say buffon or casillas came to utd, how does everybody think they would do. i.e is it possible that they might be flops? all it takes is just one or two mistakes and the end up like howard.

given is the keeper i would most like to see at utd.

All keepers make mistakes just if its in a 4-1 win or 1-0 loss in the knockout stages that seperates them.

I mean look at Villas keepers vs Birmingham :d

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

PHB wrote:
    Also the fact that Real Madrid are looking quite **** this year would probably help him want to move

about as "sh*t" as united are though.

be very suprised if he did leave. Madrid would be stupid to not up his wages.

Thats very true, but if you think of it from my biased point of view.
    United lost this year and last year in the CL due to a keeper mistake, obvioulsy there were more reasons in relation to milan, but the mistake step them off the wrong way.
    United with a decent keeper wouldn't have had that problem.
    Real Madrid had the keeper and still couldnt do it :)

Also just because your team is doing badly doesnt mean you wont join a team doing 'badly' aswell, especially when thye look on the up.
    Cause you're in it for the long haul, thats why say Vieira would consider joining Real Madrid, because he thinks with him in it, they could be amazing, better than Arsenal are with him now.
    Its kinda an ego thing
    Madrid would be stupid to not up his wages.
    cough its Madrid, 3 managers in a year, president is a nutjob, and they let Makelele go becaues a defensive player can't be a galactico or something :)
    Buying Buffon when you have a world class goalie to 'solve' your defensive problems is exactly the sort of logic that Perez has ;)

But PHB being a typical Man utd fan and needing someone to blame would it not be the fact you didnt actually score any goals as the reason you were knocked out.

Regardless of keeper mistakes to win games you must score , playing lone 19 year old strikers vs best defence in world at home then an unfit striker away surely was the reason Utd were knocked out and not a mistake by a keeper.

kdjac

• Advertisement

I totally agree, hence why I didn't go into it since I've already had this discussion in the thread on it. The point is still the same of why players join teams which might be worse than them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

PHB wrote:
    I totally agree, hence why I didn't go into it since I've already had this discussion in the thread on it. The point is still the same of why players join teams which might be worse than them.

i was just pointing out the fact you seemed to be using the fact real where poor as a reason he might join united, which isnt the case.

I know your hoping if you wish for it hard enough it will come true, but unlikely. ;)

PHB wrote:
    The point is still the same of why players join teams which might be worse than them.

Large wads of cash usually sweeten the deal.

kdjac

i was just pointing out the fact you seemed to be using the fact real where poor as a reason he might join united, which isnt the case.

No you see it is :) United are gona come back and win the quadruple next year, and he knows it, so he figures join now when he has the chance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Why do United set themselves such a ridiculous and implausible target like Casillas? Shay Given is an outstanding keeper at his peak, not only that but he must be dying for some sucess at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭David19

Casillas' agent denied the reports linking him with United. He just wants a new contract.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/4387289.stm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Actually I'd say Cech is the best goalie in the world atm.

Not because of his amazing amount of clean sheets - the Chelsea defence is to be credited with that - but for the absolutely sublime form he has been in this year. He has been imense in the Chelsea net any time the defence does happen to be opened. His control over messy situations and amazing level headedness not to mention arial presence in crosses etc has been sensational. There are only a few that I feel are giving him the credit he actually deserves I reckon.

And he's 22! I mean Christ!

John Toshack is maybe one that does. He bleats about him at every opportunity. I would have said that buying another keeper when you already have Cudicini is madness but this guy has proved me very wrong indeed.

Anyway .... back on topic ... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Unfortunatly for United fans(including me) Casillias' agent has denied any reports linking him with a move to Man United(Source:Sky Sports News)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I knew it all along...

It was a story started by the ****ing Daily Mail!

I posted it in the transfer rumour thread...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

ah well, we can still dream.

casillas has never had a decent defence in front of him in his life, yet still manages to be called of of the best keepers in the world. now imo thats some achievement when your in an all out attacking side like madrid.

utd have a good defence, and midfield helps out too so they dont concede as many. with an acmilan, even chelsea im sure casillias would be the best keeper in the world. cech is good, but its his 1st season, casillas has been no1 at madrid for years, as a teenager, and he's still only 24.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Ye he is a great player.

• Advertisement
Advertisement