Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Getting an old BMW

Options
  • 28-03-2005 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭

While I only bought my current car a couple of months ago, Im toying with the idea of getting an old BMW towards the end of the year. Various reasons like a wage increase and a years driving experience under my own policy are contributing to this.

Im just wondering what price would I be looking at for a 92-96 316? There are tonnes in the B&S ranging from as little as 1000, but what should I be looking at as regards mileage etc? And could I depend on the engine if it was over 10 years old? How greedy would they be on the juice? Is there any particular things I should be looking out for?

I will be 24 if I do decide to buy one, what ballpark figure would I be looking at for insurance (full licence and named 4 years, 1 year on my own policy)?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Dont worry about mileage bmw's regularly go over 200,000 miles with just regular things failing... clutch/fuel pump.

As well as that the timing chains in them never need to be replaced. At about 150,000 miles the chains can tend to rattle though at low revs, this can be rectified by changing the timing chain tensioner.

Not too hard on juice really, my 318is get about 420 to a full tank (60litres)

Once you buy one you will never go back.

Spare parts are very easy to find and are very very cheap
    see here

Chief.

Advertisement