Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless BB setup

• 28-03-2005 4:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I've just recently signed up for esat bb. I have two machines in my house to connect to the net. One is downstairs beside a phone line and the other (my machine) is upstairs.

I bought a wireless router and pci card.

So far I have got the setup to the stage where the downstairs pc is connected to the router (lan cable) and the pc upstairs is connected via wireless. I am able to ping the router and the downstairs pc form my machine and vice versa.

The thing is that I dont seem to be able to ping the modem let alone connect to the net. Now, I do have the downstairs pc connected to the modem through the usb port and I can connect to the net that way. However, this is just a temporary connection until I can get the router connected properly to the modem.

(Hope I'm making sense here!)

Whenever I connect to the router I have the option to set up the wan connection. I select PPPoE (?) as it seems to match the description of the connection.

It then brings me to a screen where I can set the user name and password. I enter the relevent info but it never works!

Also, just to clarify. All the machines have their gateway ip set to the router's ip. When I use the usb to connect straight to the modem I dont specify an ip, just let windows do it.

I should also mention that I cant connect to the modems config page (html page) throught the wireless router, only through the usb.

So does anyone have any idea about how to connect the wireless router (through the wan port!?) to the modem?

I have a friend who has the same problem with a similar setup so Im guessing its something simple that I havent tried.

Still, its doing my head in! :eek:

(any help would be greatly appreciated :) )

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

Okay, Ive had a little poke about on the web and I think that what might need to be done is to set the wireless router to be like a straight through sort of connection so that it can connect to the modem?

Am I on the right track? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Also, just to clarify. All the machines have their gateway ip set to the router's ip. When I use the usb to connect straight to the modem I dont specify an ip, just let windows do it.
    You need to set the gateway = IP of the modem.

Example config:

1. router (192.168.1.1, gateway=192.168.1.254)
    2. modem (LANIP: 192.168.1.254, WANIP: ISP assigned)
    3. PC1 (192.168.1.2, gateway=192.168.1.254)
    4. PC2 (192.168.1.3, gateway=192.168.1.254)

JoyPad wrote:
    You need to set the gateway = IP of the modem.

Example config:

1. router (192.168.1.1, gateway=192.168.1.254)
    2. modem (LANIP: 192.168.1.254, WANIP: ISP assigned)
    3. PC1 (192.168.1.2, gateway=192.168.1.254)
    4. PC2 (192.168.1.3, gateway=192.168.1.254)
    Excellent. Thanks a million. I'll try it later on and post the result :)

[edit] So obvious when ye think about it! [/edit]

So obvious but not working. When I set up the router and modem like that I can ping everything on both pc's but no internet.

The only way I can connect to the net is use the usb connection and have it set to dhcp. It sets itself up as having an ip of 192.168.1.33

Also, I have to disconnect the lan connection to the router. Once I get the net connection if I reconnect the lan to the router I can no longer ping the other pc or the router. I can still ping the modem but all the activity happens through the usb connection.

When I go to the other pc (wirelessly connected) I can still ping everything!

So I cant get a connection to the net using the method mentioned even though I can ping everything (so they are all connected).

What the hell is going on!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭JoyPad

When you say "no internet", do you mean "no browsing"?
    I forgot to say: you need to specify the DNS server as well, also set to the modem's IP (by default, the modem will be setup to do DNS forwarding).

So, go back to the setup where you were able to ping everything, but add DNS.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reply. I will try this later tonight. I was trying to get the setup going last night and I made a rather shocking discovery. One of the pc's had blaster. I downloaded a fix from microsoft and a removal tool from semantec so it should be okay. I reckon I might reformat anyways. That machine is most likely riddled anyways! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

this sounds like the problem im having but i dont know what pinging etc is. im also not sure how to change all the settings that i need to which have been suggested to me by you kind people! any ideas?
    thanks

Pinging is just a way of confirming that you can send a message to a particular IP address. The way that you ping (on a windows machine anyway) is to open the command prompt (start -> programs -> asseccories -> command prompt) and then type ping followed by the IP address that you wish to ping. If the ping is successful it will say that the reply took 'x' amount of time.

Google is your friend! :)

thanks gobby for the help.
    i type ping192.168.1.xxx in that format?
    it didnt work for me saying it was an unrecognised command????irritating

You need a space. ie: "ping 192.168.2.xxx"

• Advertisement

ok,i figured it out-the pinging that is. they wont ping. apparently "the operation timed out." I tried it from the lappy to the pc and vica versa...ugh

JoyPad wrote:
    When you say "no internet", do you mean "no browsing"?
    I forgot to say: you need to specify the DNS server as well, also set to the modem's IP (by default, the modem will be setup to do DNS forwarding).

So, go back to the setup where you were able to ping everything, but add DNS.
    What DNS addy should I use?

besty wrote:
    ok,i figured it out-the pinging that is. they wont ping. apparently "the operation timed out." I tried it from the lappy to the pc and vica versa...ugh
    When it doesnt work it will say that the operation timed out or some other error. How exactly are you configuring your IP addresses??

ive been investing some more time with this and can now tell you
    - that my laptop is still showing up the full strength signal

- i have located a DCHP assigned IP address, subnet mask and default gateway (dont be fooled, i dont undertstand this) on the laptop. i think this is a good sign...

- there are 2 network connections showing up on the pc. i think this is good because one is the "WAN Network Driver" which i think is the router and the "Cayman Netopia Eircom Connection".

- The PC "WAN Network Driver" as above has no Default Gateway in its status and has an "Automatic Private Address" as opposed to a DHCP one on my laptop.

- The Eircom PC Cayman connection has a DHCP assigned address, an IP address, subnet mask and default gateway

I hope this information can help someone who understands these things tell me what i'm doing wrong as i'm actually about to crack up!

Well dont let it get to you. Ive been trying to get my wireless setup going for over a week and Im sure its gonna take a few more before its going properly.

I can tell you this: DHCP is where IP addresses are assigned automatically. So, for example, your modem would decide to use a certain IP address to connect to your pc or whatever.

You cant be sure about whats going on if you use DHCP. Best thing is to know what the IP addresses should be and to assign them yourself.

From your description Im not sure whats going on. You will probably have to be more specific!

Crud, Im off to the pub so no more help from me till tomorrow... Sorry! :)

i know,its just very frustrating. i dont know what i should be more specific about? thats pretty much all i know. is there anything i can find out which can help you understand the problem? i dont know how to manually change/assign the ip addresses to be honest

besty wrote:
    i know,its just very frustrating. i dont know what i should be more specific about? thats pretty much all i know. is there anything i can find out which can help you understand the problem? i dont know how to manually change/assign the ip addresses to be honest
    Changing the IP address is easy enough. Im assuming you are using a recent edition of windows (xp or 2000). They are all very similar anyways.

To manually assign an IP you need to open up the network (and dial up) connections from the control panel. (start -> settings -> control panel -> network and dial up connections).

In here there should be an item for every network connection that you have on the machine. So if you have a LAN connection it would appear here. As would a wireless connection, dial up connection etc.

Each connection should have its own IP address. So when you click on say Local Area Connection (LAN) you will get a little window that has a little bit of information about the connection. There you can click properties which should bring up a little window that has the various aspects of the connections settings in it. You want the TCP/IP one. Highlight it and click properties. This will bring up another window where you can either set the connection to automatically assign an IP or you can manually set the IP, the subnet mask and the default gateway.

Dont forget to google

Hope this helps! :)

hi gobby, thanks a million for the help. i would be completly lost without the good folk at boards.
    i have disabled dhcp for my laptop. im just not sure what to do about arranging all the ip addresses. i.e. for the pc and the router. i think thats what i have to do anyway?

any ideas?
    ill check google but i just get lost in a sea of stuff to be honest

thanks again

Well, the way I had mine set up was as JoyPad mentioned.

As long as you set all the IP's to be in a similar range (every number the same except the last one) and set the default gateway to be the modems IP for every connection you should be okay.

Having said that it isnt really working out too well for me! Have a read of the rest of this post and you will see good examples for the IP addresses.

Sorry I cant be of more help but I'm really busy at the mo. Final year project due in tomorrow. :eek:

• Advertisement

ok, ill keep fiddling around and hopefully it comes good.

best of luck with the project tomoroow and thanks again for the help

i have set it up as best as i can but still cant ping the computers.ugh

all that seems to be wrong is that i cant connect to the internet on the laptop despite the excellent signal and me being able to connect to the router's web interface

so frustrating

Are you using a seperate modem and (wireless) router?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 hollyville

To Gobby,

Your DSL modem is really a modem/router and therefore you must configure it as a "bridge" (see the manual for your particular modem) before you connect it to your wireless router. When you do this you will have no problems!

hollyville wrote:
    To Gobby,

Your DSL modem is really a modem/router and therefore you must configure it as a "bridge" (see the manual for your particular modem) before you connect it to your wireless router. When you do this you will have no problems!
    I seen that option alright and I was wondering about it. Its funny cos I was onto esat there a week or so ago (password wasnt being accepted) and I mentioned how I was trying to connect everything but of course the helpfull customer service team wasnt helpfull at all. They never mentioned anything about using the modem as a bridge.

Cr*p b*stards. :mad:

Okay, so I tried to set the modem as a bridge and then using the wan port on the wireless router. No joy :mad:

It would be such a handy thing to have working right now too. Have a load of stuff to be working on for college including my final year project report.

Anyone got any more suggestions??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Just check one thing.

I think you said you had the desktop pc connected to the modem by way of the USB cable and the router by way of cat5 cable.

I am pretty sure you cannot have both in. You should set up the modem by connecting to the LAN port of the modem. Then i think you can substitute the cable from the router to the modem.

My understanding is that the Modem does not work as a 2 port modem ( 1 USB 1 LAN)

Anyway give it a try.

Shane

Just check one thing.

I think you said you had the desktop pc connected to the modem by way of the USB cable and the router by way of cat5 cable.

I am pretty sure you cannot have both in. You should set up the modem by connecting to the LAN port of the modem. Then i think you can substitute the cable from the router to the modem.

My understanding is that the Modem does not work as a 2 port modem ( 1 USB 1 LAN)

Anyway give it a try.

Shane
    I think that you are probably right there. But I have tried to connect to the modem using only the ethernet connection. Ive tried it with DHCP and without. The only way that I seem to be able to connect to the modem is by using the usb connection. Im going to post a seperate thread in the broadband forum regarding this.

Thanks all the same :)

And thanks to anyone who has posted to this thread :D:D

Advertisement