Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

.pst read only problem

• 28-03-2005 5:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭

I have a backed up .PST file that was on a CD, I took it off the CD and turned off the read only attributes. When I try to import the .pst file outlook says the files is not a personal folder file.
    I am working with outlook 2003 and windows 2000. I am not certain what version of outlook the .pst comes from.
    I have also tried opening it in the PST repair tool and it wont recognise the file either.
    There are 2 files in exactly the same condition so I dont believe they are corrupted.
    Any ideas.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

Can you reproduce this issue on a different computer (given that you have access to one)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭JDxtra

pat kenny wrote:
    When I try to import the .pst file outlook says the files is not a personal folder file.

When adding a personal folder (or archive file) to Outlook you should not need to import it. From Outlook 2003 it's 'File > Open > Outlook Data File'.

Failing that, could you have backed up an .OST file instead - or is it definitly a .PST?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭pat kenny

It's deffinitly a .PST file and I am opening it in the way you said t just fails to recognise the file as a .PST I have searched the net and found other experiencing a similer problem but no answers.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Don't forget that Outlook 2003 uses a different format to previous versions of outlook.

File - data file management - add - choose a 97-2002 file format.
    then dump emails into it..

Good point Midnight but still dosent recognise them, I'll have to start looking into the fact that they may be corrupted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Have you tried opening the file rather than importing it? i.e. File -> Open -> Outlook Data File.

I have to be sure to be sure but still no joy.
    I feel the .pst is evil so I'm going to burn the hard-drive or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭tech

this has happend me before, what happens is when you burn the .pst to cds it changes attributes to read only, all you have to do is copy this to a hard disk and change its properties :) happy days

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

tech wrote:
    :) happy days
    Re-read the first line of the first post again..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

pat kenny wrote:
    I have to be sure to be sure but still no joy.
    I feel the .pst is evil so I'm going to burn the hard-drive or something.

Have you tried opening it with a previous version of Outlook - this will enable you determine whether the file is corrupt or whether it is a format issue.

You could also try running the inbox repair tool against the file.

• Advertisement
Advertisement