Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Cap for Eircom Home starter plus

• 28-03-2005 8:52pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've already posted that my DSL has been upgradeded to 2048KB-128KB so I've just checked the DSL stats for my account and it's now saying my download allowance is 16384 MB. Still not great especially since I downloaded the entire 2.4 gig fedora DVD iso in under 3 hours.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,961 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Cap still appears the same here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭paddy

what was your cap before this? (I'm not with Eircom for broadband)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

paddy wrote:
    what was your cap before this? (I'm not with Eircom for broadband)
    i'd imagine it was 8gig's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I'm on the Home Starter kit and still have my 4GB cap. Mind you, there has been no increase in speed either, so hopefully...

Home Starter was 4GB Download, 1GB Upload
    Home Plus was 8GB Download, Unlimited Upload

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Optikus

Are these caps being enforced! Are people now actually getting charged for downloading more than they are allowed?

LoGiE wrote:
    I've already posted that my DSL has been upgradeded to 2048KB-128KB so I've just checked the DSL stats for my account and it's now saying my download allowance is 16384 MB. Still not great especially since I downloaded the entire 2.4 gig fedora DVD iso in under 3 hours.
    Send in a screencap to prove it mate!
    optikus wrote:
    Are these caps being enforced! Are people now actually getting charged for downloading more than they are allowed?
    I feckin' hope not!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭paddy

Optikus wrote:

Utv have been enforcing it for age's now, 1.5c+Vat per Megabyte when you go over 8 or 16 GB cap.

When i last had BB with Eircom i was milking 20 - 30Gb a month without ever been charged a penny more. I hope i will be able to continuing doing this as i have moved into a new apartment, have the phone line and am just waiting to get the line tested. What BB ISP do you alot recommend i should get?, in other words which ones are not charging for breaking the cap.

paddy wrote:
    Utv have been enforcing it for age's now, 1.5c+Vat per Megabyte when you go over 8 or 16 GB cap.

they're off the list then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Willymuncher

Interesting, post back with some screenshots if you can, it almost seems too good to be true....even though i am a iolbb customer, i doubt we'll have our cap upped otherwise they would have announced something by now

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

I've attached a Picture of new stats and my download speed for a doubting basquille. I've sprayed out my username from the picture

dslcap.JPG

Thats good news, thanks for the screenie.....i just hope its not an error on their part now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

A 2 meg service is going to eat up 16 gigs :(

Cheers mate! Good news all round! I'm on the 8GB Home Plus so hopefully i'm in for a large increase.

I wasn't particularly doubting you but we've had a couple of people claiming they've been charged by Eircom for going over cap etc.

It's hard to know who's telling the truth anymore!

PS - and thanks for the measure of speed using DUMeter!

dlofnep wrote:
    A 2 meg service is going to eat up 16 gigs :(

It would have eaten 8 gigs up A LOT faster, i'd be happy if i were an eircom customer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭APM

Logie which exchange are you on?

basquille wrote:
    Cheers mate! Good news all round! I'm on the 8GB Home Plus so hopefully i'm in for a large increase.

You'll be increased to 16 gig.

It would have eaten 8 gigs up A LOT faster, i'd be happy if i were an eircom customer

Well.. I'm expecting Esat will have a 32gig cap. I don't want to sound like I'm moaning but seriously, 16 gigs is not enough for a 2meg service. It will be eaten up and then there will be the enforced caps and the massive bills by people.. Imagine some parent finding out their Eircom bill has doubled because their kid went over the cap a little by playing games or something? It will happen very often. I can bet on it.

dlofnep wrote:
    Well.. I'm expecting Esat will have a 32gig cap. I don't want to sound like I'm moaning but seriously, 16 gigs is not enough for a 2meg service. It will be eaten up and then there will be the enforced caps and the massive bills by people.. Imagine some parent finding out their Eircom bill has doubled because their kid went over the cap a little by playing games or something? It will happen very often. I can bet on it.

I wouldn't be so sure on esat, wrote sales an email and they said that they could confirm the cap was staying the same, i know sales can be full of ****...but i've heard that story from many others aswell...nonetheless, i hope they do up it too, god i'd cream my keyboard if they do :eek: i'd agree on 16gig not being enough for 2mb...but i guess an increase is better than nothing, i wasn't expecting eircom to move the cap at all

• Advertisement

Yeah it's better than nothing.. I'd say you'll be upgraded to 32gigs on esat though. Eircom said their cap wasn't increasing earlier here on the phone to someone so there ya go with sales people ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

APM wrote:
    Logie which exchange are you on?

I'm on the Malahide exchange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Well, thats good i suppose. Any increase is a good increase. Hopefully Esat will continue as they have been doing, and double eircoms 16gb. Then caps would begin to approach realistic levels. A 30gig cap would be the min i'd expect from a modern isp. That gives a gig a day, which is plenty for most people.

Lets live in hope!

In fairness though, for ANY person who downloads, the upgrade to 2meg would have been useless without an increase in cap, so it was bound to happen. Otherwise eircom might as well have offered a 10mbit connection for everyone, and kept the 4/8 gig cap :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Esat have to reply to this! Their service will be cheaper by a few € yes but it would be worst then €ircons (they have an upload cap €ircon don't!). It has to be increased to 32GB. I can see myself being happy with 32Gb.......2Mpbs though :):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

When I started with BB I must admit that I thought 8 gigs would be used up fairly quickly. I would have classed myself as a high usage user... I am on IOL BB and I barely use 8 gigs a month. At the moment i'm on 4 gigs for this month. The vast majority just don't use BB enough to warrant bigger caps. I feel almost ashamed that I'm on 4 gigs.

Please can someone suggest some things to download? Preferably useful and legal (private message the illegals to me ;))

I have downloaded Linux mandrake which was a couple of gigs I think.

X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

If you're a music fan, try these two sites: www.thetradersden.org and www.easytree.org

You can get live performances (dvd's and flac's (lossless audio)) of your favourite bands there. All 100% legal. Of course, a single DVD image would break a 4 gig cap... which i means anyone on that low a cap can't avail of that site whatsoever. Which is why a cap that low is just rediculous for broadband.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Wait....when did Eircom's home DSL move from 512k to 2mb?!?

Is this at the same cost as it was at 512k?
    As an esat customer there's not much I cna do about it but surely esat have to follow suit (on the speed increase)...

You on Mars these day, Wertz!?

It was announced a couple of weeks back that existing Eircom customers (and a couple of other ISP's as well) were upgrading from 512KB to 2MB.

Same cost... and according to this thread, the caps will seemingly be doubled!

Happy days! 16GB cap on Eircom isn't bad.. but am i alone in wanting more than that? Considering Esat have been offering that up until now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

but in that picture it looks like you had 16gb cap from sept 2004?

• Advertisement

CyberGhost wrote:
    but in that picture it looks like you had 16gb cap from sept 2004?
    I assume when they updated the cap.. they showed previous months records in respect to that newly enforced cap.

Seriously, would you stick to around the 8-11GB mark each month if you had 16GB to use?

Will keep an eye on my own DSL Stats and let you know if it changes!

Advertisement