Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Cap for Eircom Home starter plus

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

CyberGhost wrote:
    but in that picture it looks like you had 16gb cap from sept 2004?
    In their server, i'd say they had one global "cap" value stored somewhere, and all they did was change that value from 8gb to 16gb. Basically, this means that all old months will end up being recalculated at the new cap allowance. That would be the easiest way to code it, and i'd be very surprised if they coded it a different way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

I might not be on eircom's package anymore (Thank God) but at 16GB I can see that cap falling behind pretty quickly within a few month and everyone will be back to square one again. At least with the possible 32GB cap on esats package your looking at a more reasonable and better package.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,961 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Definantly agree with you there, Infini!

Eircom will always be the runners-up regarding their Broadband service (caps, etc)... in fact, they're probably not only the runner's up but they're always in last place!

I made the stupid mistake of buying that Eircom Wireless Router off them just as my contract was ending... so i think i'm bound to another 12 month contract with the f*ckers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,212 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Much nicer/more detailed meter than what we've got on IOL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

It'd be nice to have a stat monitor like that on IOL too. Much nicer. I wonder though have Esat upped the limits without telling anyone. My current usage is
    dsl8oq.jpg
    and that's sine I was connected on the 15th. So I'm using a little over 1G a day but have had no warning about the possibility of exceeding the cap, which they normall do. I will be over the 16G limit by 1.5G at the end of the month, in 3 days, if my current usage keeps up.

Here's hoping that it has gone up, or been removed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

so we wont be getting a realistic cap on eircom?
    whats new tbh...

on the plus side :D 7 gigs to download in the next 48hrs wheeee

so many "linus isos"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

I just discovered I'm using about 300MB's a month...time to downgrade methinks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

like I said previously, I think they do increase caps, but don't tell public, unless asked about it, if no one asks, let them think it's still the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

NoelRock wrote:

Wow, that's only 10MB a day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

NoelRock wrote:

well if your with eircom you can find a link on there site to downgrade from home starter plus to home starter .

but i'm trying to upgrade from home starter to home starter plus ( the 2 meg down is worth the extra €30 per bill imo) and can't find a link to do it on there site and i rang there broadband sales and was on hold for about 20 mins :mad: .

• Advertisement

Clover wrote:
    well if your with eircom you can find a link on there site to downgrade from home starter plus to home starter .

but i'm trying to upgrade from home starter to home starter plus ( the 2 meg down is worth the extra €30 per bill imo) and can't find a link to do it on there site and i rang there broadband sales and was on hold for about 20 mins :mad: .

I have the exact same problem! I could only find the link for downgrading. Rang them up, was put on hold for half an hour, so I hung up. Does anyone know if they charge you anything for upgrading/downgrading?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,961 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Kenny007 wrote:
    I have the exact same problem! I could only find the link for downgrading. Rang them up, was put on hold for half an hour, so I hung up. Does anyone know if they charge you anything for upgrading/downgrading?
    Yeah, actually i think they brought it a charge for downgrading.

basquille wrote:
    Yeah, actually i think they brought it a charge for downgrading.

Any idea if they charge for upgrading?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭diarmo

Back in November '04 there was no charge for upgrading.

Unsure what their current policy is but it should be gratis to upgrade and thus give them more money anyway!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

here lads an lassies how does one check how much of their cap they've used AFAIK i've an 8GB cap but i'd be curious to see how much of that i've used up in the last month

_raptor_,

Telling us your ISP would be the BIGGEST help....it really would you know?!?!

BTW.
    iolBB/esatBT
    http://broadband.iol.ie/cgi-bin/sec/dsl
    http://broadband.iol.ie/cgi-bin/sec/dslhistory

_raptor_ wrote:
    here lads an lassies how does one check how much of their cap they've used AFAIK i've an 8GB cap but i'd be curious to see how much of that i've used up in the last month

Well if you're on Eircom, check here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Kenny007 wrote:
    Well if you're on Eircom, check here
    The conveluted IP being replaceable with dslstats.eircom.net

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

yeah that wuda been a big help (doh) im on eircom and got it sorted thanks guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Infini wrote:
    At least with the possible 32GB cap on esats package your looking at a more reasonable and better package.
    "possible" being the important word there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

It should be able to accomodate 32 gb quite easily if it handles 16 now. The maximum backhaul bandwidth is being increased by a factor of 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭oneweb

Eircom
    Home Starter goes from...
    Speed 512/128 to 1024/128
    Download 4 GB to 8G
    Support number 1530 to 1890
    Modem Combi to WIFI

Home Plus...
    Speed 512/128 to 2048/128
    Download 8GB to 16GB
    Modem 4 Port to WIFI

Business packages have similar upgrades,
    Business Starter...
    Speed 512-2048
    Download 8-20GB

Business Plus
    Speed 1024-3072
    Download 12-40GB

Enhanced
    Speed 2048-4096

Migrations overnight 2nd April, downtime 20 seconds to 2 minutes.
    Mailings going out 31st, 1st and 4th
    :)

It is what it's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

busineess starter going to 20gig cap?
    i thought it was the same package as home plus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

Nice one, oneweb. So we should have our upgrades on Sunday.

Surely the other ISPs which give 16GB caps will be upping theirs to at least 20GB? Judging by how much eircon are increasing theirs by anyway.

I hope EsatBt up their current 16GB cap to a nice round 30!!!

Because if they dont...shock/horror...they WILL loose out on customers as Eircom have no broadband connection charge...whereas esatBt have a €80/90 charge depending on your broadband service!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Tech Pete

looks like esat wont touch their caps... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Tech Pete wrote:
    looks like esat wont touch their caps... :(
    looks like i'm fooked then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

Eircom
    Home Starter goes from...
    Speed 512/128 to 1024/128
    Download 4 GB to 8G
    Support number 1530 to 1890
    Modem Combi to WIFI

Home Plus...
    Speed 512/128 to 2048/128
    Download 8GB to 16GB
    Modem 4 Port to WIFI

Business packages have similar upgrades,
    Business Starter...
    Speed 512-2048
    Download 8-20GB

Business Plus
    Speed 1024-3072
    Download 12-40GB

Enhanced
    Speed 2048-4096

Migrations overnight 2nd April, downtime 20 seconds to 2 minutes.
    Mailings going out 31st, 1st and 4th

Got my letter today.........:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Basquille wrote:
    You on Mars these day, Wertz!?

It was announced a couple of weeks back that existing Eircom customers (and a couple of other ISP's as well) were upgrading from 512KB to 2MB.

Same cost... and according to this thread, the caps will seemingly be doubled!

Happy days! 16GB cap on Eircom isn't bad.. but am i alone in wanting more than that? Considering Esat have been offering that up until now.

Ah. I'm so contented in my haze of torrents that I've not been keeping up with things. Last I heard Smart was gonna pwn the whole DSL market with 2mb lines for tuppence per decade or something...

Now can anyone tell me (or link me) about Esat's next move here? Is my 512k about to go supersonic? If so, that 16gigs isn't gonna last pissing time. If Smart f**k up in my area I may be *shock horror* forced to retrun to the crafty clutches of our fabulous ex-semi-state telecoms provider...
    Strange times indeed

• Advertisement

The way I view the download cap is that:

A GByte on wholesale is only a couple of cent and it only takes a couple of software modifications on the ISP's side to change a CAP of 8GB to 16GB or 16GB to 32GB.

Such modifications can be done with 1 days notice.

So come on EsatBT.....wake up and respond in kind to eircom!!!

Advertisement