Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Keane rallies Ireland :)

• 28-03-2005 9:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭

Keane rallies Ireland
    28/03/2005 - 08:39:15
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/2005/03/28/story195522.html

Roy Keane sounded a positive rallying cry despite the Republic of Ireland suffering a setback on the road to the World Cup finals.

Keane, along with many of the Ireland players, conceded Saturday’s 1-1 draw in Israel felt more like a defeat after Abas Suan’s late goal denied them three precious points in a tight Group Four.

“It was a disappointing result because it was such a big game,” said the Manchester United skipper, who will miss Israel’s visit to Dublin in early June - along with right-back Stephen Carr – after picking up his second caution of the campaign.

“In any qualifying group there is going to be ups and downs, and although we are down at the moment, we will be up again.

“It is not as simple as just winning every match. We have to remember we have had one or two positive away results, and there is still a long way to go.

“We just have to accept what has happened, get on with it and be positive, and that is what we will do.”

Suan’s 25-yard strike just two seconds into injury time has put a different slant on Ireland’s hopes of playing in Germany next summer.

However, the dejection felt at the final whistle in Tel Aviv was tempered two hours later when France were held to yet another goalless home draw, this time by Switzerland.

The results ensured the status quo was preserved in the group, with the Republic out in front on goal difference from the French and Israelis, with the Swiss three points adrift but with a game in hand.

There was an air of disquiet, though, at the seemingly negative approach adopted by Ireland after Clinton Morrison had silenced the raucous home crowd just 186 seconds into the match.

“It was an ideal start for us,” said Keane.

“But being the home team they were always going to come at us, particularly in the second half when they made a lot of substitutions.

“In saying that, we should still have killed the game off. We could have done more in the second half in terms of possession and testing their goalkeeper.

“But football is a cruel game at times, and at 1-0 there is always a danger the other team will score, no matter what level you are at and so it proved.

“It is just a pity their goal came so late because there was no time to come back, but as I say, we will be okay.”

Suan’s drive was perfect, and goalkeeper Shay Given concedes there was little he could do to prevent such a late heartbreaker.

“We feel as if we have lost the game,” expressed a disappointed Given.

“We felt as if we had the game won, but then they get that late goal and it’s a kick in the teeth. The heads are down.

“Perhaps you could say we were a bit conservative, but then hindsight is a great thing. You think ‘do we push forward for another goal or sit tight and defend what we have?’

“Looking at it we should have tried to get another goal, and overall we are disappointed we have dropped two big points in the group.”

But Given, like Keane feels Ireland are still in control of their own destiny, even if they will be deposed at the top of the table on Wednesday when Israel host France, regardless of the result.

“I am sure Israel will be boosted by their late goal and their spirits will be up,” added Given.

“But there is a lot of football still to play in the group and we feel we can still do it.”

Football Association of Ireland president Milo Corcoran, meanwhile, is expected to return to Dublin today after being detained overnight at a Tel Aviv hospital.

Corcoran was taken ill just as the plane carrying players, team officials, media and supporters was due to take off from Ben Gurion International Airport.

It is not known whether Corcoran will be fit to resume his duties for tomorrow’s Lansdowne Road friendly against China.

Great to see Roy coming out like this and rallying behind Ireland. Hopefully we can learn from this and we will produce the goods in the next 5 WCQ's. :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Great to see Roy coming out like this and rallying behind Ireland. Hopefully we can learn from this and we will produce the goods in the next 5 WCQ's. :)

Roy seems to be so level headed nowdays and looks to have matured , maybe he will make a very good manager .

Its not really a rally though he's just given his view of events .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

well perhaps it is a rally. Roy Keane knows this is his last chance at the world cup and im sure he wants to get there. i'd assume he'd be "rallying" all the younger players whenever possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

The_B_Man wrote:
    well perhaps it is a rally. Roy Keane knows this is his last chance at the world cup and im sure he wants to get there. i'd assume he'd be "rallying" all the younger players whenever possible.
    Plus Germany shouldn't be so far away as to give him jet-lag and also there isn't any tropical island en-route :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

p.pete wrote:
    Plus Germany shouldn't be so far away as to give him jet-lag and also there isn't any tropical island en-route :D

and hopefully the manager will not concoct some stupid argument so that he can send him home. :p

I,ll have to resurrect my old sig if you keep that up p pete ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

We'll be ok in that game. It's not the first time we've had to do without him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

The Muppet wrote:
    and hopefully the manager will not concoct some stupid argument so that he can send him home. :p

I,ll have to resurrect my old sig if you keep that up p pete ;)
    What was the sig? you have my curiosity now... something profound I'm sure :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

p.pete wrote:
    What was the sig? you have my curiosity now... something profound I'm sure :p

It was a picture of teh bold roy with a link to sound clip of his account of events in Saipan. It didn't go down too well here when I had it , I dont't want to give poor old Gandalf nightmares by bringing it back.

Signature Picture

Which was linked to this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Emmo

Perhaps Roy, as a player, and not the captain any more should do his rallying behind doors and on the pitch.

He is so good and dictating the pace of the game he should have driven is on a little more against the Israelies (sp???) and not invited the pressure upon ourselves.

He could offer so much more I felt a little cheated after the game, the said he was miles better than any of the French team.

Emmo

Advertisement