Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I the only person who hates "post modern" jokes in books?

Options
  • 28-03-2005 10:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭

These aren't funny, period. Really. I don't think you're being witty by mentioning that Windows 2095 on your Pentium XXX PC crashed.

Grand, there are those nice little ones that work. These are rare gems, that subtley get the joke accross without bludgeoning you over the head with post modernism (Warren Ellis please take note).

A good one a in the novel where I got my sig (Singularity Sky)-the replicator device that caused the collapse of the modern political system is referred to briefly as the "Free Hardware Foundation GNU Couturier."

On the other end of the spectrum you have the full page in Century Rain devoted to pointing out that the "Slasher" faction, who helped wipe out all life on Earth, are actually descended from Slashdot.org.

/rant

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Some of them are truly awful, particularly if its some vague reference to a piece of tech that's inner workings/ functionality have been poorly explained, however some of the subtle jokes in Star Trek and Farscape make me grin :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭David Stewart

Have you read the sequel, Iron Sunrise? - David

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Not yet, I've been meaning to though.

Advertisement