Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rant

Options
  • 28-03-2005 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭

[rant]

I just want to go on a ****ing rant here. I am sick and ****ing tired of how people in this country think that they are better than the rest of the world! People seem to think that anybody Asian is a moron, anybody black is a horrible person, anybody north of the liffey is a scumbag etc.

This absolutely ****ing sickens me! I don't give a **** what your race colour or creed is because you could be a nice person you could be a dick just as someone who is "posh" could be sound or could be a ****ing dick

We as a country are very ****ing lacking! We have the worst rate of a lcohol abuse in Europe. We have a horrendus litter problem we a re over priced. All this time we think that because we are white and Irish that we are the best that there is too offfer and it bloody ****ing sickens me.

I wa son a different forum and because i called someone a racist and defended this guy from some gimp i was classified as a black northsider! What the ****i is wrong with this country! It makes me want to emmergrate

[/rant]

I apologise for any spelling, grammer etc mistakes becaus ei was typing in a pissed off mood.

Thank you muchly,
    Matthew

Discuss

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

I'd like to see this in After Hours just so it's given more attention

I'd also like a link to the forum. I assume it happened recently which made you post.

Yeah, a good few people have this problem because of the massive opportunities most Irish people are afforded from birth.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Personally i think this topic has been discussed to death on after hours and will just die, but if theres a concensus there i might move it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

I was just pissed off so i posted. also i think it should stay here. this place needs a proper debate since all the older members are complaining about it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

By "all the older members" I guess you mean Podge?
    Could you stick up a link to the thread you were talking about, I couldn't find it on After Hours (was probably looking in the wrong place, knowing me)
    I am actually quite disgusted at the attitudes people here have to people of other races. I don't understand where such ignorance and hatred comes from. I mean, I do find it a bit irritating sometimes when you're in a shop trying to buy something and the person behind the counter is Asian and doesn't understand you, but that's not because I hate Asians, it's just that I'm impatient. And I fully appreciate that it's not that they're stupid, it's just that that particular person is probably relatively new to Ireland and hasn'tgot perfect English yet.
    As for all northsiders being scumbags, you sure get a lot of skangers on the southside too...
    It's all just ignorance Matt. I know its really annoying though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

You're right there. I used to work in a pub, and while they were overflowing with workers during the summer cos of the amount of students, once everyone went back to school/college there was such a shortage of people. I stayed until December and was one of the only Irish floor staff working there. Loads of the workers were Chinese and some of them couldn't speak particularly good English, but the pub had no choice because they couldn't get anyone else. We were all working ridiculously long hours and we were always run off our feet.
    People complain about foreigners coming in and taking our jobs. Well how many people want to work as floor staff in pubs, or in petrol stations, in fast food restaurants or in cafes? Students, that's pretty much it. It's the ****ty, low paid jobs that foreigners are taking so why do people complain about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

well.. the northside tends to be a little bit worse, there's very few places on the southside i wouldnt gladly stroll around at 3am, but on the northside?...
    the thing 'bout crappy preconceptions is, they all start somewhere... im not talking about the point-blank prejudice of racism which is sorta a different topic, but general ideas surrounding areas and classes etc tend to be a bit more accurate you know?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Fishie wrote:
    By "all the older members" I guess you mean Podge?

I'm not plural thank you very much.

What is the actual "debate" here? I wouldn't call it a debate personally, and I've never asked for more/better "debate" here.

I think everyone who has posted here so far has quite readily agreed that racism is wrong and I'm not going to be any different. Shocking stuff to read in the initial post. I'm sure it's not all to uncommon but it's still terrible stuff.

Unfortunately this country is still in the dark ages when it comes to tollerence. It's hard for gay people to be completely open for example. San Francisco is a prime example of how it can be done and of how tollerent people can be - yes I shamelessly plug that city. <<fanboy>>

Something needs to change, somewhere. There's no need to fear what we don't know and what's different. Of course preeching to the choir and various other appropriate phrases...

Now if only I could still see the screen and have any idea what I've written.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭HeyYou

Is the problem really that bad? Do Irish people really consider themselves better than everyone else? People of our generation are a bit above that kind of nonsense, or at least I would have thought so. Am I wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

The entire topic is laden with pitfalls in every direction, and the pitfalls are full of fresh bull****, straight from the cow.

A common argument against what Matt has said is that it's only a minority of people who are intolerant. Maybe in (a very simplified) theory, this is the case, but because of human nature if a single charismatic person stands in the way of a change in favour of tolerance, hundreds of blind sheep will follow, and that's enough to destroy the life of one kid who wears nike traksuit bottoms when he's hanging with the rockers, an immigrant who's working on a garage forecourt or a well-established foreign doctor.

And of course preconceptios start somewhere, I know that there areas where I go to school that I wouldn't walk through during the day, but don't be a ****ing slave to human nature, rise above our psychology and see people for people's sake. Just because you live in a ****ty housing estate doesn't make you a scumbag.

Rise above the bull**** and make yourself better than it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭the_only_Ali

Maybe our generation have risen above the "Irish are better than everyone else" mentality. I think our country is finally escaping the De Valera school of thought. Probably the sooner the better. I like Irish people, I like Ireland, but then again I have lived here all my life, I AM Irish and so are most of my friends. I'd feel the exact same about any other country if I lived there. Come to think of it, when I was in Austria I couldn't stop wishing I lived there, considering how beautiful and clean the streets are and how well-run everything seems to be. And they have Sachertorte.

Unfortunately the problems of littering and racial intolerance span all social classes in Ireland. Its not limited to the northsde, or the jocks on the southside, its everywhere. I suppose all we can do is try to rise above it, we can't "educate" or convert people- anti litter and racial tolerance campaigns can only do so much. There are some people who you just can't get through to, no matter what. Being racially tolerant and not littering is more common sense than anything else- do you HAVE to be told not to be rude to people because of their nationality, or not to throw crap on the ground? People KNOW, they just don't CARE.
    So I'm going to move to Austria and eat cake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭mentalimplosion

i can't wait to finish college, move abroad and then reluctantly return to ireland to raise children.

my two cents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭TalkISCheap

...but in the blind sheep model the people we "just can't change" will be dragged along by the majority when they stop creating preconceptions as fast as they are being destroyed. And it's not that much of an over-simplified model....

Also, those same 'racist/ageist/sexist/everything else-ist' people are (realises that he's diving straight into another preconception but decides to continue regardless... :rolleyes: ) generally not greatly educated, and will do pretty much what tv, the guys next door and the Irish Sun (we love it!) tell them. get the rest of the nation (the 80% or so of decent people) on-side and the other muppets will follow. Metinks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Bazookatone

Fishie wrote:
    People complain about foreigners coming in and taking our jobs. Well how many people want to work as floor staff in pubs, or in petrol stations, in fast food restaurants or in cafes? Students, that's pretty much it. It's the ****ty, low paid jobs that foreigners are taking so why do people complain about it?

I love sounding like the reasonable one!!!!

Everyone remember, the vast majority of people feel like you do, the problem is that the ignorant and intolerant people (many of whom cannot sort out their own problems and are looking for someone to blame) complain loudly about this stuff, and they seem to be given plenty of airtime on TV and Radio. Secondly, because we hear so often about the number of foriegners entering Ireland, we inevitably get the (innaccurate) idea that this country is being swamped with immigrants and that they're all here to sponge off the state. In reality, we get only a small number of immigrants compared to bigger countries, and almost all of them come here to work, and work very hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭jono087

i abhor predjudice...

that is all"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

[comic relief] all prejudiced people are evil[/comic relief]

But when you try to change people, they say you're destroying traditions, and hate Ireland, and whinge about Ireland's cultural identity.

<Gives self award for Gratuitous sweeping statement)

Advertisement