Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

POLL: Best 'Lord Of The Rings' film?

• 29-03-2005 1:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭

OK... i'd be pretty much positive that this has been asked before but your opinion may change in time after seeing them.

Just saw an ad there on Channel 4 which showed that 'Fellowship Of The Ring' was coming soon, which prompted me to post the poll.

So, which of the 3 films were the best, in your opinion? And if you didn't like them, vote 'Atari Jaguar'

It's actually a difficult enough question. I loved all 3 films but in my opinion, FOTR would win for sheer rewatchability. TTT would win for the Battle at Helm's Deep alone. And ROTK would win for the effects.

In my opinion, i'd judge them as one film but if you were to judge each film individually, which would be your favourite?

Anyways.. quite a tough one to answer so think about it!

Best 'Lord Of The Rings' film? 49 votes

The Fellowship Of The Ring
    0% 0 votes
    The Two Towers
    34% 17 votes
    Return Of The King
    26% 13 votes
    Atari Jaguar!
    38% 19 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

It's one single narrative, so you can't judge them seperatly. Which did you prefer, the beggining, middle or end?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yeah.. i know. It is very difficult to judge as three seperate pieces of work!

But the poll is basically: if you had to, which would you choose as your favourite?

I'd probably choose 'Return Of The King' for it's mix of amazing effects, great acting all round and in my opinion, a great ending! Although some people would disagree with me based on an what most people think of as an overlong display of many loose ends tied up in the last 30 minutes

You should read my journal, I fairly ripped into Return Of The King a while back. Might be an interesting read for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

You should read my journal, I fairly ripped into Return Of The King a while back. Might be an interesting read for you.
    Will give it a look! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

Yeah Like ROTK, went to see it with the g/f in the cinemas.
    thought the battle scenes were better than TTT. Loved the soundtrack too.
    Stand out scenes : Obviously the battle at Gondor. Really Thought highly of the scenes where Pippin sings for the Greedy lord while his son Faramir rides to defeat, Gandalfs vision of heaven to Pippin when Gondor is about to be overrun.
    And the ending. Class film.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I don't know about anyone else, but if I was a Gondorian, I'd be a little apprehensive if some stranger just strolled into town with his Elven squeeze, a 'bling bling' sword, and was suddenly coronated by a mysterious wizard just after the Steward caught fire under suspicious circumstances.

Classic Karl Hungus funnay, tbh. Brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I thought the first one was great, the second one good, and the third one not as great (But, of course, entirely watchable)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

It's too bad that the FOTR's atmosphere didn't cross over to the other two films...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

ha ha doodle_sketch, that made me laugh..

as for my favourite, think it's the fellowship.. easiest to watch I reckon.

BTW who's watched all the extended editions back to back in a single sitting?

I tried on my day off from work a few weeks ago and fell asleep half way through the first disc of the fellowship! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

ROTK was the only one I managed to stay awake with while watching it a second time.
    voted for that one aswell.
    story was best in the first part though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭Bacchus

FOTR is the easiest to watch on it's own. It sets up the whole story, it has the most linear plot and has the best balance between action, special effects and drama of the trilogy. After that, I'd pick ROTK. TTT was great too, but it's just the filler movie (albeit an excellent filler movie) before the good stuff really happens. Maybe if they had left Shelob in TTT it'd be better but then ROTK wouldn't have been as good.

I watched all three extended editions back to back in one sitting over the xmas holidays. Fellowship is definetly a breed apart from TTT and ROTK. For 3+ hours, you're following 1 linear story, you know all the main players in the movie, everything is neat and simple. Then you have TTT and ROTK, three plots running side by side, big battles, loads of new characters etc. Not that any of that is bad (in fact it's great). TTT and ROTK blend into each other seemlessly so it's harder to make a distinction there. They play like one long movie.
    Anyway, enough rambling. Fellowship gets my vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

If your talking about the origional release's, probably ROTK, but if its the extennded ones, TTT was simply too good to be true, they really added so much more to TTT, the extended one is twice the film the origional was no bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭Buck Owens

ROTK,mainly because it made the first 6 hours so worthwhile and brought it too such an amazing conlusion.

It had the best scenes, The beacons of Gondor, Charge of the Rohan etc.

Two Towers is the best EE though, but I have to agree with Peter jackson and the Writers on their commentary, it sort of felt the most neglected of the 3.

Roar wrote:
    ha ha doodle_sketch, that made me laugh..

I'd just like to point out that doodle_sketch was quoting ME there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I'd just like to point out that doodle_sketch was quoting ME there.
    As I thought I had pointed out... :confused:

Well, seemingly someone didn't pick up on that so it needed clarification.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I LOVE The Fellowship of the Ring! I think it has a great atmosphere or something, and didn't the Black Riders have way more presence when they were on horses rather than when they were on those big stupid flying things?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭mwnger

For me, the strengths of each part of the LOTR trilogy sort of matched up with the corresponding film of the Star Wars trilogy (episodes 4-6).

The Fellowship was the best in terms of plot

The Two Towers in terms of character development, in particular Aragorn and Gollum.

The Return Of The King in terms of action sequences.

(likewise, Ep.4 for plot, Ep.5 for characterisation, and Ep.6 for action)

Overall, The Fellowship gets my vote (and it did).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭case n basket

Enjoyed the first one, was bored to tears by the never ending waffle in the second, loved the third.

Doubt i'll rewatch any of them again though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

The ghosts in return of the king really really piss me off....seriously. They look like they are skooby doo.

• Advertisement
Advertisement