Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

House of flying daggers

• 29-03-2005 7:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭

After just watching this, all I can say is that im utterly blown away.

Everything in this movie was immense, a MASTERPIECE.

Any one else feel the same

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭ronano

I really enjoyed hero but i could not stomach this and was bored and left after an hour. I may try and give it another go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

It is a cracking film, very well shot, beautiful scenery, a good storyline and lots of twists!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭c0y0te

/me is waiting patiently for it to arrive in my letterbox :)

I ordered three DVDS from amazon.com at the same time, all to be posted in one batch and that's the last of the three. Should arrive any day now!!!

c0y0te

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭subbed

Having seen it last week i thought it was a load of tripe. The 1st 45 minutes were passable only because of some impressive fight sequences. The male actor's were laughable, (You'd expect to see better in a Daz commercial), and the storyline boring. As the end approached (not quickly enough), the quite obvious "twists" unfolded leaving you feeling empty having wasted 2hours of you life making some movie company a few quid richer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Tbh, i loved Hero, one of my fave films, but i still am determined to see this movie, am hoping it's really good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭bbbbb

saw it on Fri, excellent cinematography and fight sequences, but it didn't do it for me overall I'm afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Thought it was a load of old cobblers.

Talk about melodramatic, cliche ridden, overacted rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭elvis2002

its not Hero, nuff said.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 244 ✭✭tails2

jesus. what a bunch of typical european/american viewers of foreign films. come on would you. you see one chinese film and compare everything similar to it to that first film you saw. and to whoever it was that said the actors could have been better in a daz comercial... what a gob****e. tony leung is one of the most highly rated actors in china... and i know what you are going to say..... something stupid like'well that doesnt say much for the rest of them'...

this film was excellent. the story was unique and it held great to the history. the cinematography was better than most ive seen from the usa and the effects where oin point. id give this 9/10 with no hesitation. as for people saying this was not good cos hero was better... hero was ****e. the effects and cinematography where excellent but the overall film was not the best. ask any real asian cinema lover and they will tell you the same. in fact ask amy chinese person on the strett. 90% will agree. it was made for you tossers(non-asian) where as house of flying daggers was made more for asia.

enough said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

The action was good, the cinematography was good, the whole film looked very nice; but the story didn't grab me much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

tails2 wrote:

this film was excellent. the story was unique and it held great to the history. the cinematography was better than most ive seen from the usa and the effects where oin point. id give this 9/10 with no hesitation. as for people saying this was not good cos hero was better... hero was ****e. the effects and cinematography where excellent but the overall film was not the best. ask any real asian cinema lover and they will tell you the same. in fact ask amy chinese person on the strett. 90% will agree. it was made for you tossers(non-asian) where as house of flying daggers was made more for asia.

enough said

Jeez relax. Effects and cinematography do not a great film make. The story was cliched. The acting was wooden. To argue otherwise is like saying that Fair City is made for people who live in Dublin, whereas most people I know who live here think its a load of ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 milkzzang

Crucifix wrote:
    The action was good, the cinematography was good, the whole film looked very nice; but the story didn't grab me much.

I completely agree. Still a fantastic film however - its nice to see such brilliantly made films.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Juggalo

It was an okay movie, got ridiculous near the end. The CGI was very poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

tails2 wrote:
    and to whoever it was that said the actors could have been better in a daz comercial... what a gob****e. tony leung is one of the most highly rated actors in china...
    Dude relax...it's only a movie and they're only people's opinions and tony leung wasn't in HOFD. They're dissing Andy Lau :)

edit: actually, they could be talking about the Japanese actor who plays the main lead. If he looks familiar it's cause he's the actor they used to model the hero in the game Onimusha 1 and 3...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭Rcuomo

tails you should relax i think,
    just because asian people think an asian film is good doesnt make it so...i thought crouching tiger hidden dragon was superior to both but i've been told by some chinese people (you're not the only one who knows asian people) that cthd is not liked in china because it is too western.

what i thought made hofd good were the excellent fight scenes and that it was really well shot, not the great acting or the story 'cos it was v. cliched

and as for you saying hofd was made more for asian cinema-goers i'd have to disagree b'cos i've read a number of interviews with the director saying he's making them (hero & hofd) with a worldwide audience in mind & since hofd was made after hero id reckon he's perfected his world audience film-making with hofd more so than hero....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭elvis2002

tails2 wrote:
    saw. and to whoever it was that said the actors could have been better in a daz comercial... what a gob****e. tony leung is one of the most highly rated actors in china..

Tony Leung is in HOFD? Its actually Andy Lau :mad: Personally though I think zhang ziyi is more suited to Daz commercials, xiaogongli as she is known in China is only in the epic movies because she had an affair zhangyimou.
    tails2 wrote:
    in fact ask amy chinese person on the strett. 90% will agree. it was made for you tossers(non-asian) where as house of flying daggers was made more for asia.
    enough said

haha, your wrong there mate. My girl friend of 3 yrs is chinese, i have loads of chinese friends, over 30 at least, none of them like HOFD, they all agree it's an utter piece of crap. HOFD was made for western audiences to try and gain something with the popularity Hero had. Hero was made for Chinese audiences, alas why it was cut by miramAXE to make it 'easier' to view for western audiences. Hero is an amazing movie which is loved in China.

Try and learn how to type a little better next time too when you go on a rant !!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 244 ✭✭tails2

sorry for ranting last time. i had just read 101 reviews(not literally0 on chinese films that have come out recently and nearly every single one of them had been saying the same thing. as for a few things like...
    elvis2002 wrote:
    Tony Leung is in HOFD? Its actually Andy Lau

i was actually talking about tony leung in hero. after re reading his post i realised he was talking about hofd and not hero when he was talking about the bad acting. so i made a mistake... but as for

elvis2002 wrote:
    My girl friend of 3 yrs is chinese, i have loads of chinese friends, over 30 at least, none of them like HOFD, they all agree it's an utter piece of crap

i never said they liked it mate. read my post again. i was saying they hated hero

also i said
    tails2 wrote:
    house of flying daggers was made more for asia.

i didnt say china i said asia. as it was made for asia.

anyway i apologize for jumpin down your necks. everyones got their own opinions.

oh and one last thing
    elvis2002 wrote:
    My girl friend of 3 yrs is chinese, i have loads of chinese friends, over 30 at least

is that supposed to be a big thing mate? you aint the only one. my gf is also chinese. i have been going out with her for several years and have alot of chinese friends too. in fact not just chinese. korean too. loads in fact. and i can speak a lot of chinese and am learning korean. it aint a big thing. just you aint the only one. anyway once again apologies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Personally I thought the fight scenes were pretty shít in House of the Flying daggers, rest of the film was great, though. But all I really took away from it was the desire to rewatch Crouching tiger, again.

Ok, finally managed to watch Hero, and all I can say is, what a giant pile of ****.
    Pointless, pointless story. I mean seriously, who could possibly like that?
    The fight sequences were nice and I especially like the way they managed to show pretty much every possible combination of fights, but without some kind of credible storyline to hold it all together, what we're left with is... WWE Raw.

Avoid.
    [edit]
    Just to add, who gives a **** what other (chinese) people think, I'm never listening to boards people again.
    [/edit]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Hero is a spectacular film to look at. Glorious use of colour and good choreography. But other than that, the story is overly-long and the whole film could be easily 1/2 hour shorter.

HOTFD is a similarly beautiful film to watch and I thought that Zhang was particularly good in the first part of the film, but that was about it. After that, it descended into a cliched, predictable film. The final scene in the snow had me in tears of laughter.

I feel a little let down by these two films, as I had looked forward to both.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Dooid

HOFD is a more and a tad sentimental and the love stories are preposterous but regardless the romantic in me still enjoyed it, some good action but I thought he drained the action scenes of energy by over using slow motion, I don't think he's a natural action director at all but nevertheless it's a film I'd recommend. Besides I could watch your wan do her thing all day, she's sexy when she's mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

When I first saw Hero I thought it was one of the most amazing films I had ever seen.But after seeing it now three times I've changed my mind.It looks really really good but that's about it,the story is weak and there's no connection with the characters. Also I thought the director was trying far too hard."Oh what shall we do now,well we need a fight scene in Water,a fight scene in a desert and of course in the forest with leaves and Zhang Ziyi's hair blowing in the wind.The story for HOFD was a stronger but the ending was comical. But both had Zhang Ziyi in them and anything with her in it is fine by me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭curliq

:confused: i dunno which i like best!! methinks its HOFD tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I walked away from HoFD feeling somewhat .... cheated. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it wasn't like watching CTHD (I've not watched Hero yet). I wont say the film was crap because it had its moments, but it was quite weak moreover than not.

Lemming wrote:
    I walked away from HoFD feeling somewhat .... cheated. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it wasn't like watching CTHD (I've not watched Hero yet). I wont say the film was crap because it had its moments, but it was quite weak moreover than not.
    I know exactly what you mean. All of the things I like about those kind of films were there, but I still didnt like it as much as I should. Can't quite figure out why. I will say, avoid Hero like the plague that it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

CodeMonkey wrote:
    Dude relax...it's only a movie and they're only people's opinions and tony leung wasn't in HOFD. They're dissing Andy Lau :)

edit: actually, they could be talking about the Japanese actor who plays the main lead. If he looks familiar it's cause he's the actor they used to model the hero in the game Onimusha 1 and 3...

I KNEW id seen that dude somewhere before!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭cellulite_sally

After purchasing this last night and watching it again I can only say that the cinematography is outstandingly breathtaking, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a film that’s as pleasing on the eye as this.

Fair enough, the acting is a little too over zealous, the fight scenes were excellent IMO. (“The scene where he is running with his bow in the field taking them out one by one”) Okay they were not on par with cthd but not many are. Try and look at the film as an individual piece. All in all I thought it was great.

One last thing that springs to mind is, I don’t see why the MAJORITY of you people feel the need to slate a movie just because it does not match up to another movie in the same genre, for instance the similarities and or lack of in this case with regards to cthd, they are different films enjoyable on both fronts. Try and watch the film without comparing every scene to something else, you may just enjoy it.

Peace out a TOWN: D

Advertisement