Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blocked drain

• 29-03-2005 9:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

Anybody tell me what product I can use to clear a blockage in a drain outside the house that takes away the water from the downpipe from the roof rain water?

I've used MrMuscle Drain and Plughole Unblocker inside the house before on the shower but not sure if it would be strong enough for outside.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭kaiphas

Its probably blocked with leaves, grit, bits of tile, twigs and sundry other crud. Happened to me a few weeks ago. I don't think any amount of cleaner will dissolve the blockage, lift the shore cover and physically remove the sh1te (I used a childs plastic spade), this should get everything flowing again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Lex,

Try not to laugh when asking for this product in your local hardware or diy superstore :)

It's called "The Gully Gobbler" it is like a spoon in the end of a long handle, A great tool for cleaning out gully traps because it's strong enough to scrape the bottom and lifts the dirt clear without much effort.

Silt is usually the biggest problem in the bottom of the gully trap especially on new builds, all the excess small grains of sand get carried down the drain pipes and can fill higher than the outlet side causing a blockage.

Have fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I'll have a look down the drain for any crap that fell in. Now that I think of it we had an extension done a year or so back and no doubt some sand, etc fell in. My wife has been going on at me for a long while now to clear it, but I only am getting the finger out now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Yeah and if you have a wire coat hanger its not too bad also for having a poke down the drain.

My drain blocks sometimes when theres a very heavy rain fall.The moss off the roof tiles goes down the rain pipe and settles on the grill.Dont you just love those jobs.Couple weeks back sewerage blocked twice and i was caked in it.Two old bits of broken cast iron pipe were the guilty party.Would prefer to clean the other drain anytime all the same. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi mad m,

I thought I was the only one who got those interesting jobs :), maybe we should start a club LOL.

• Advertisement

Dont talk to me Pete,my sewerage system is the old clay type with the swans neck type sewerage.Can be real pain in the arse.Thank god for trap holes and lucky i suggested it to carpenter when the decking was going down,because i dont think he was thinking of doing any.

Anyway lex goodluck mate.Oh lex could you pm me with what you do again in your gargen as i cleared your pm by accident.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

hi guys
    the "swan neck" bend in old clay system is either a "broads" or "bukan" trap. An absolute nightmare, especially when close to house wall. A couple of sewer rods and 4" rubber disc as plunger usually gets job done. If really unfortunate a product called "dambuster" (now re-naimed, but smallmans will know) is the man . It comes in plastic bottle, double-sealed again in plastic. € 30 a gal. takes a few days to burn through obstruction
    t

tapest wrote:
    hi guys
    the "swan neck" bend in old clay system is either a "broads" or "bukan" trap. An absolute nightmare, especially when close to house wall. A couple of sewer rods and 4" rubber disc as plunger usually gets job done. If really unfortunate a product called "dambuster" (now re-naimed, but smallmans will know) is the man . It comes in plastic bottle, double-sealed again in plastic. € 30 a gal. takes a few days to burn through obstruction
    t

Yup tapest thats the one "Bukan Trap".Well mine is id say is about 6ft away from outside wall,but the run down to the bukan trap is all clay(3inch wide) as well going into the replaced cast iron pipe with the the normal plastic 4inch pipe with the convertor.Heard these old Traps are a nightmare and with my experience they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 fhopec

hi have a bigger problem , chimney brush stuck in 4 ins wavin . gone down 2 ft or more stuck past the bend ,can any help please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

abb wrote: »
    Blocked Drains

Try getting a contractor in to do some Drain Jetting.

This should clear most blockages using high pressure jets and just water!

Avoids the necessity to dig up your garden to solve the problem. The high pressure water will drive the blockage back or forward along the pipe depending on situation.

CCTV Drain Survey would also allow you to see the blockage without digging to investigate.

Try J F Henehan & Sons - jfh.ie for more details

i dont think jetting is going to get his chimney brush free .
    anyway seeing as he posted that 6months ago id say he got it out of the drain , or are you just advertising your company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭gorwanvfr

sullzz wrote: »
    i dont think jetting is going to get his chimney brush free .
    anyway seeing as he posted that 6months ago id say he got it out of the drain , or are you just advertising your company.
    you got there before me :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

only by 3 mins :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭privateBeavis

Had a blockage in/around the gully trap outside the house and just sorted it with a drain cleaning coil which worked a treat, would recommed it for the job!
    Something similar to this "Tools 4 Drain Cleaning Coil" from B&Q was only about €6

Advertisement