Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Performance Problems

• 29-03-2005 10:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭

I'm running a Dell P4 machine here in work that has 256Mb of memory. Recently it's performance has taken a nosedive and I'm struggling to figure out what's causing it. I've cleaned out the registry using CCleaner, Defragged the hard-drive after clearing up what space I could (disk is about three quarters free), I've run Adaware, Spybot - Search & Destroy and Virus Scanners on it, removed unnecessary programs, there's nothing in my startup folder, sounds are disabled, I've reduced the display options to 16 bit High Colour (down from 32 Bit Real)

All to no effect. Any other ideas as to what could be causing my problems?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

what OS do you have?

running XP Pro with 256 MB Ra ould be a bottle neck.
    could be that the HDD is dying, could be tons of things.

what programs are running in the background?
    AV Clients, etc

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

use procexp on www.sysinternals.com to see what's running
    also look at autoruns on the same site to see what's loading

try safe mode / logging on as a different user to rule out profile etc.
    check my network places for junk - links here can take up to 20 seconds to timeout.

slow is hard to diag - no errors to lookup
    what in particular is slow ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Was any program installed/updated before you noticed the slowdown. Any network settings changed?

Advertisement