Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Active Directory power management.

• 29-03-2005 10:57am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Is there any way in active directory I can change power management settings.
    the most important one is to disable the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power. button on network cards. Also being able to change the system standby timeouts in control panel would be nice.

Yes I can do this with reg hacks or powercfg.exe but one of the problems is that AD seems to be ticking the boxes again and then it's causing problems with mapping drives and running a logon script that would re-map drives or change power settings.

[rant]Windows PRO and Active directory can only be used in a network environment and you've paid for CAL's and the extra over HOME , so why oh why, does it insist on disabling network functionality.[/rant]

Plan B
    Power settings: HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\PowerCfg\ etc.
    How to set up a batch file to change reg settings etc on first logon:
    http://www.msfn.org/board/lofiversion/index.php/t11672.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭osmethod

Might be of some help...
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q324347

Not a hundred percent sure i'm interpreting your "Plan B".... Not to insult your intelligence...

In a login script add the line...

regedit /s power.reg

where power.reg contains the registry entries concerned.

If you know them and where they are I'd export them with parameters and open the ascii file and amend accordingly.

osmethod

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Plan B is to do it with scripts, but at that stage you are more or bypassing active directory policies so you might as well take a tiny step further and use Windows 98 / HOME, all you'd have to do is just add a one line batch file to the startup folder on the local PC... If exist \\server\logon\logon.bat \\server\logon\logon.bat

Actually the aggressive power management settings might have to do with Xp SP2 - not 100% sure - but it makes remote management virtually impossible since it seems to be reticking the power down option - madness in an OS whose only reason for existing is to fleece network users of another €80 per client.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

capt'n midnight

Just do your batch file then just deploy it across the network and have it read it on recieve.

Theres something in the server 2003 (i presume your running it) manual about deploying files across networks

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Blitz wrote:
    Just do your batch file then just deploy it across the network and have it read it on recieve.
    The point is I don't want to do this, and I shouldn't have to.

If I start down this road I might as well chuck active directory and go back to using XP Home. I could setup a batch file on each machine that looks at a folder for a batch file, runs it and then deletes it and waits 5 minutes before looking again. That's how I used to have to remote manage NT 3.51 (neither today nor yesterday) because VNC couldn't unlock the screensaver password.

I'm fairly cheesed off with the constant changes in user interface and management tools, especially when you constantly have to re-invent the wheel to have the functinality of the previous version /RANT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

The point is I don't want to do this, and I shouldn't have to.

If I start down this road I might as well chuck active directory and go back to using XP Home. I could setup a batch file on each machine that looks at a folder for a batch file, runs it and then deletes it and waits 5 minutes before looking again. That's how I used to have to remote manage NT 3.51 (neither today nor yesterday) because VNC couldn't unlock the screensaver password.

I'm fairly cheesed off with the constant changes in user interface and management tools, especially when you constantly have to re-invent the wheel to have the functinality of the previous version /RANT

I would agree that the constant change in the UI is a bit of a pain in the butt, however i didnt mean delploy it as in you walk aroudn to all the machines and do it manually, i ment Use the "Deployment" tools in windows server 2003 :P

Example: Cushy mr network admin is in the server room just fiddleing with a few things, he gets a note saying that the computers keep crashing going on standby, on a network of size he knows that its a very simple process, he walks over to the server does up his batch file and deploys it to all the computers, just as he did when installing Symantec Anti-Virus Corp. Edition.

I dont know the proper microsoft way of doing that stuff atm..

• Advertisement
Advertisement