Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to Poker... some advice?

Options
  • 29-03-2005 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, I'm a poker newbie, newly registered on PaddyPowerPoker.

First up I've a good idea of my hands, and got a reasonable bluff.

My problem is that often in the $3 games, I'm getting to the last 3, usually as chip leader, sometimes not, depends. I get sucked into the large calls, pre-flop, with high blinds (400/800). The biggest problem I have is that I'll usually fold anything less than a J9 suited. I'll run a bluff with TT, or any royals, until the flop, if nothing comes up, I'll usually check it and see if he raises, often he does it's a lure, maybe 800, then a 4 7 9 unsuited flop. I'll be holding a pair (TT or greater) so I often push all-in, he'll call it and then it all comes down to the luck of the next two (often me losing out). Less than a TT pair, with nothing on the flop, I'll fold.

I'm quite unlucky on the river, can't tell you how many great hands have been spoilt.

I recovered from 2000 vs 16000 to nearly the exact reverse, eventually the game levelled out to about 9000 each. I was holding QQ, preflop, and had been bullying via all ins, I pushed. He called it, holdin AK. Flop came down.

QKA4A

I just lack that killer edge, or is it all down to luck?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

In a STT, when it's 3 players left you should either raise or fold, never just call. If you raise with 72o to steal blinds then fold if someone comes over the top.

If you raise and get a callers then if you miss the flop, bet it if you are first, if he checks it to you bet it. It's all about agression.
    Depending on the players you're up against any hand is playable. raise with crap, if you get called sometimes you hit a crap flop.

You shouldn't have strict rules about what hands to play at any stage in a STT, just practice and google for tips on being successful at STT's.

The forums at www.twoplustwo.com if you go to the STT board there's a very good FAQ there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Poker is 80% luck 20% knowhow. Having QQ preflop is pretty good so i would always bet on that. Learn to be a good bluffer to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭BigDragon

Poker is 80% luck 20% knowhow. Having QQ preflop is pretty good so i would always bet on that. Learn to be a good bluffer to.

Bullox. Nobody told me about this. What am I to do? Do I get a four leaf clover? Lucky pants?

Dumbass.

Luck plays a part. However, it is randomness rather than luck. How you play will win you tournaments. Luck has nothing to do with playing style, aggressiveness, position, bluffing, re-raising, laydowns, pot odds or many other parts to the game that are learned.

Please bring your lucky game to my table.

Blasphemy. Blasphemy.

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭NickyOD

OMG! That post just made my day. :rolleyes:

Tapping aquarium is verboten.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Must be a banning offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

So should I only play with QQ or are there other lucky hands? Will I fold all other hands? Is AA any good or how about 72, I hear thats a good hand

VERBOTEN!!!1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭NickyOD

bohsman wrote:
    So should I only play with QQ or are there other lucky hands? Will I fold all other hands? Is AA any good or how about 72, I hear thats a good hand

Personlally I think J-3 (The Camel Ball Licker) and Q-3 (The gay waiter) should be group 1 hands. :p

Hand #81264687
    The Diamond posts the small blind of $0.10
    rjt1468 posts the big blind of $0.25
    SNDK posts $0.25
    You have been dealt [3d Jc]
    warner2403 calls $0.25
    TeknoPhil calls $0.25
    freakin-idiot folds
    cblfish22 folds
    SNDK checks
    k2snwboarder calls $0.25
    mikis007 folds
    The Diamond calls $0.15
    rjt1468 checks
    The flop is [9h 5s 3h]
    The Diamond checks
    rjt1468 checks
    warner2403 checks
    TeknoPhil bets $0.25
    SNDK folds
    k2snwboarder calls $0.25
    The Diamond calls $0.25
    rjt1468 calls $0.25
    warner2403 calls $0.25
    The turn is [Js]
    The Diamond bets $3
    rjt1468 has 15 seconds left to act
    rjt1468 calls $3
    warner2403 calls $3
    TeknoPhil folds
    k2snwboarder folds
    The river is [3s]
    The Diamond bets $8
    rjt1468 calls $6.65, and is all in
    warner2403 raises to $26.40, and is all in
    The Diamond calls $13.25, and is all in
    Uncalled bet of $5.15 returned to warner2403
    warner2403 shows a flush, Ace high
    The Diamond shows a full house, Threes full of Jacks
    The Diamond wins the side pot ($27.75) with a full house, Threes full of Jacks
    Dealer: rjt1468 mucks
    Dealer: The Diamond wins the main pot ($30.15) with a full house, Threes full of Jacks

Advertisement