Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Areas to buy in

• 29-03-2005 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭

My wife and I are looking to buy our first house soon and we have a budget of approx €275k.

We both work in Dublin so we are looking mainly at places on the train line.

Areas that we have narrowed it down to are

Gormanston
    Balbriggan
    Rush
    Celbridge
    Newbridge
    Leixlip
    Clonsilla
    Coolmine/Carpenterstown
    Cabra/Broombridge

Any advice on which of these areas are recommended would be welcome as I'm not a local and unfamiliar with all of them.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Hi,

I'm afraid I can't give you too much info on many of the places, but you have got the right idea - in particular the likes of Leixlip Celbridge - although technically Kildare, not Dublin, they are on the train line and the commute into Dublin city centre should be under an hour. I think the buses are also quite good.

Clonee & Clonsilla are on the same train line as above and also nice areas, however there are possibly neighbouring areas to these you may wish to stay away from - I will leave it to someone else who knows the area to elaborate on this as I don't wish to offend anyone.

The whole Dublin 15 area is really being built up and you will have no end of facilities if you do end up out that neck of the woods.

Eoin_S.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

I've recently moved into a house in Lusk and to be honest, I'm more happier there than I thought I would have been as the travelling in the morning is a hell of a lot easier than I thought.

From my house, it's a 5 minute drive to the train station (need to be there for between 7.35-7.40 or you can kiss godbye to any chance you have of parking) and then a 30 minute train journey to the IFSC for myself and my girlfriend gets to Pearse 5-7 minutes later and both of us are comfortably at our desks for 9am.

Alternatively, the train station is at max 20-25 minutes walk frokm any of the new estates in Lusk (Chapel Farm, Lusk Village, Gleann Ribh although Dun Emer would probably add another 10 minutes to that).

Best of luck with the house hunting and feel free to get in touch with me if you require any further information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

If you need to travel to Dublin to work get a house as close as possible. History proves one thing, traffic just gets worse. What maybe 40min drive now will be an hour in a year or two and just keep getting longer. There will be an additionanal 500 dwellings added to Beaumount within a 2 year period on one patch of land. If you reason out the distance between Lexlip and Dublin the population will just increase between them and you will have to compete with them on the road. House prices closer to Dublin increase at a higher rate too. You can always move out later if you want but and the higher price will give you a better option. Cabra while not a great area will give you more oprtunity to increase the value on the house. Donnycarney has just jumped up in value in the last year €285k to €320K this. Cabra is a similar ex-corp area more or less the same but hasn't jumped yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭landser

Donnycarney has just jumped up in value in the last year €285k to €320K this. Cabra is a similar ex-corp area more or less the same but hasn't jumped yet.

i can vouch for this, as i just bought a place here for €330k and that's cheap... some are going for 340K plus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭branners69

Hi DerryRed,

I am currently selling a property in Balbriggan within your budget. Its a four bed detached in a quiet estate called Bremore Castle.

You can find out more about it here:

http://www2.myhome.ie/search/property.asp?id=222942&p=4&rt=search&searchlist=

In relation to Balbriggan, I have to say its a really nice spot with loads of facilities on hand, great pubs and food!! The nicest Indian in Dublin is to be had in a pub called O'Sheas on the harbour!!

Its approx 45 mins out on the train and its also on the Dublin Bus route. They run a handy night service which means you dont have to rely on the NiteLink.

Theres some lovely walks to be done along the beach which is 10 mins away as is the train station!!

My sister is out in Balbriggan aswell, she has 2 kids so knows more about the schools/creches and stuff.

If you have any queries pm me and I'll try to answer them or if I cant I'm sure my sister can!!

Cheers

Ian

PS In case your wondering why I am moving its cos of elderly parents!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭TheMurrinator

Id move to Dublin 4 :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Check out all the new houses going up around Baldoyle....its on the Dart line and close to the city.

Here is a link.
    http://www.capitalnorth.ie/home.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

around dorset street/NCR- its bound to be made nice any day now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

@branners69 did you value your house??? 275k for a 4 bed detached is nuts!!! I would have thought it would be a lot more.,.. its still Dublin after all and its a lovely area too!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 imelda lusk in

:cool:
    dcr22B wrote:
    I've recently moved into a house in Lusk and to be honest, I'm more happier there than I thought I would have been as the travelling in the morning is a hell of a lot easier than I thought.

From my house, it's a 5 minute drive to the train station (need to be there for between 7.35-7.40 or you can kiss godbye to any chance you have of parking) and then a 30 minute train journey to the IFSC for myself and my girlfriend gets to Pearse 5-7 minutes later and both of us are comfortably at our desks for 9am.

Alternatively, the train station is at max 20-25 minutes walk frokm any of the new estates in Lusk (Chapel Farm, Lusk Village, Gleann Ribh although Dun Emer would probably add another 10 minutes to that).

Best of luck with the house hunting and feel free to get in touch with me if you require any further information.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 imelda lusk in

only getting used to using this goin to look in lusk today , anyway out there receiving me?
    imelda

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Sorry Imelda, I only have the Internet in work so it's kind of dificult to track me. Where have you been looking? I've been living in Gleann Ribh for the past two months and it's a really nice quiet estate (due to the fact that only about 10 out of the 50-60 units are being lived in). The estate is really starting to take shape now that they're working on the courtyard for all of the duplex apartments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Gormanston is nice if not a little too far out if you work in Dublin, can be a bit of a nightmare to get in and out and from what I remember there isn't much in the way of amenities.

Avoid Balbriggan like the plague though. I am originally from there and I would tell anybody even enemies not to live there. It's nice to visit but not to live. Too many scumbags who would sooner stab you than look at you. It is full of drugs and arms caches so not an ideal area to raise a family. Just avoid it.

Out of the other places you listed I would recommend these: Rush, Celbridge, Newbridge, Leixlip, Clonsilla. Some very nice areas altogether. I'm actually moving to Clonsilla shortly myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭minkey

In answer to MorningStar and Landser we just bought 2 bed in Cabra for 320 so the ex corpo houses in that area have already jumped way up since the stamp duty for first time buyers was changed.
    Unfortunately it seems the best option for a budget of 275 is either to get an apartment or move a bit futher out of the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭rainglow

I was just going to say the same thing - you won't get too many houses for 275k in the Dublin 15 area - 3 bed semi-detached, pretty run down in Castleknock just went for 660k and the same in Carpenterstown are going for around 420k. Even a run down old kip on my granny's street in Rialto went for over 400k despite bordering on Fatima Mansions just because of the proximity to the city centre.

For that money, if you have your heart set on a house as opposed to a 2-bed townhouse or an apartment, you'll have to look on the outskirts of Dublin in commuter towns or in less desirable areas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

minkey wrote:
    In answer to MorningStar and Landser we just bought 2 bed in Cabra for 320 so the ex corpo houses in that area have already jumped way up since the stamp duty for first time buyers was changed.
    Unfortunately it seems the best option for a budget of 275 is either to get an apartment or move a bit futher out of the city.
    Donnycarney has jgone up again the same house I was talking about selling for €320K is now on the market again after work for €345 and the estate agent says there is €350k offer on the table.
    rainglow wrote:
    I was just going to say the same thing - you won't get too many houses for 275k in the Dublin 15 area - 3 bed semi-detached

I was just looking at property in Clonsila (dub 15) and there were quite a few houses for under €240k. Some guy was selling his 2 bed appartment out there for that amount and it seemed high to me so I had a look.

http://www1.myhome.ie/search/property.asp?id=233593&p=2

I don't know the area but that seems like a decent price. €50k would mean you could afford great furntiure or even an extention.

I would still vote for as close to Dublin as possible. I always think of Swords as closer than Clonsilla and it is also better serviced as far as I can tell. €275 will get you there too.

Advertisement