Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HDD recorder

Options
  • 29-03-2005 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭

Have had a bit of a root around the net, but can't seem to find what i'm looking for - possibly as it may not exist.

I'm looking for a HDD recorder with nothing else, no bells and whistles etc.

Basically, I want to get rid of my VCR, and I reckon a HDD recorder is the way to go. No I know you can get the DVD rewriter/HDD combos, but I have a perfectly good DVD player already, and have no use for writing DVDs. I'm with NTL, and they don't look like they are going to give us Sky+ type functionality any time soon.

So basically, have any of you guys ever come across anything like this, or am i taking out of my bee-hind?.

Cheers!

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

You're looking for a TiVo or something similar. TiVo was never available in RoI. It was in UK but got a poor sales and is no longer in production. Dunno if a TiVo unit would've worked in RoI (taking VHFband into consideration)

http://www.radioandtelly.co.uk/tivo.html

I reckon you're better getting the DVDR/PVR combo unit. Easier got and handy for backing up the odd film you might wanna keep or offer to your relatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

ArthurG wrote:
    Have had a bit of a root around the net, but can't seem to find what i'm looking for - possibly as it may not exist.

I'm looking for a HDD recorder with nothing else, no bells and whistles etc.

Basically, I want to get rid of my VCR, and I reckon a HDD recorder is the way to go. No I know you can get the DVD rewriter/HDD combos, but I have a perfectly good DVD player already, and have no use for writing DVDs. I'm with NTL, and they don't look like they are going to give us Sky+ type functionality any time soon.

So basically, have any of you guys ever come across anything like this, or am i taking out of my bee-hind?.

Cheers!

an old pc, or lidl this thursday, 120gb recorder for 450euro. i know it has a dvd burner but u wont get one cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

lomb wrote:
    an old pc, or lidl this thursday, 120gb recorder for 450euro. i know it has a dvd burner but u wont get one cheaper.
    I got a 160Gig HDD/DVD Recorder in the UK for £300

John

(That's Cheaper)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Thanks guys.

when u think of it it needs a harddisk as well as a dvd burner/drive as data that needs saving ie programs can be dubbed accross to the dvd from the harddisk for permanent backup. so there is no way of having a harddisk recorder without a dvd drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

lomb wrote:
    when u think of it it needs a harddisk as well as a dvd burner/drive as data that needs saving ie programs can be dubbed accross to the dvd from the harddisk for permanent backup. so there is no way of having a harddisk recorder without a dvd drive.

Isn't that what Sky+ is?. I have no desire to record anything to DVD, just want something i can record TV progs on and forget about after.

ArthurG wrote:
    Isn't that what Sky+ is?. I have no desire to record anything to DVD, just want something i can record TV progs on and forget about after.

beats me but i have a pana dvd harddisk recorder and was dubbing across 2 films from the HDD to DVD media. top notch, but then it was 1400 euro. i cant see how u are going to get rid of ur video if u want to archive programs. anyway to each their own, u could buy a dvd recorder that burns ram disks only, this would keep prices down and they are just like a hard disk with time slip etc except they store about 6 hours each of programs. but they are cheap and can be rewritten 100000 times. u cant beat panasonic machines imo. ive heard bad things about phillips. not sure of the targa tbh.

Advertisement