Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dj lessons . . .

• 29-03-2005 1:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭

Ok, im totally new to dj-ing!

Is there anyone out there who teaches all the basics -beatmatching, basic scratching etc.?

Im on the southside!

Cheers

:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭tel922001

im in lucan i can help u whatever way u want no problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

This might come across as arrogant or preachy...but there's a lot to be said in keeping your money and working things out yourself. It's seriously rewarding and you won't really forget it. I found it a great incentive and really gave me a proper understanding of what I was doing. Also, if you literally NEED lessons it doesn't bode well for your future career/hobby!

That's just my 2cs - have some patience and practice a lot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭tel922001

BRI is right the best way is to make your own mistakes and get the hand of it yourself but if that doesnt work give us a shout

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I 100% agree with that too. It really is best to play around and figure it out. Get a few tips on beat matching and take it from there. Do a search on google etc for beat matching and there will be plenty of results. You will be suprised how quickly you will get the hang of it and it is so rewarding when it clicks. Then the fun really starts and you can start to experiment.

I'm sure plenty will give you tips here too. Just ask the questions and we can all throw in our thoughts and answers.

Thanks guys :D

First few selective googles came up with this:
    http://www.recess.co.uk/beginning.html
    http://www.dj-tips-and-tricks.com/Technics-turntable.html
    http://www.djvibe.com/learn/mix/
    http://www.djsource.co.uk/tutorials/
    http://www.discjockey101.com/mixing.html
    http://directory.google.com/Top/Arts/Music/DJs/Education/

To be quite honest if your not prepared to read a few of these guides or stick it out on your own, DJing might not be your cup of tea. To get good (and crap DJing is a crime against humanity) you wanna enjoy putting in the effort.

But as said above, feel free to ask any specifics in here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

some handy links there Bri

this one looks like a decent guide to me. (apart from the part about adjusting a 135bpm track to 130bpm... avoid minus pitch as much as possible)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Drum boy

Ok lads cheers, i'll stick at it myself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kingsize

concentrate on the "programming" this is the real skill to djing most of the so called "legendary" djs were actually less concerned with beatmatching.
    its not just a similar tempo which makes songs work well together
    practice the beatmatching cos its definitley worthwhile & grat when you get it to work but its no good if the 2 tunes you blend together are shyte together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Drum boy

What do you mean programming?

I assume in programming its the tracks suitability to work together in a mix. The so called legendary DJs would already have the base of beat matching so naturally it would not have been a concern. The base or starting point of mixing in my opinion starts with beat matching. Once you have a feel for that you move on to what works together.

• Advertisement

Felixdhc wrote:
    I assume in programming its the tracks suitability to work together in a mix. The so called legendary DJs would already have the base of beat matching so naturally it would not have been a concern. The base or starting point of mixing in my opinion starts with beat matching. Once you have a feel for that you move on to what works together.

Indeed.

Basically if your a complete beginner don't worry about other stuff...You wanna learn had to make two records play over each other in time so the average pleb won't notice...from doing that you'll begin to understand what makes records blend perfectly and how not to crash vocals on top of each other etc.

If you learn to do that confidently and under time pressure then start exploring where you wanna go.

That's my view anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I don't know what music you're into, but one of the best examples of 'programming' that I've ever come across is Northern Exposure II - Cd 1 (the Sasha mix). In some places it's difficult to tell where the tune starts and end as they blend together so well.

Well worth listening to for an idea of what the lads are talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 362 ✭✭theone

tman wrote:

this one looks like a decent guide to me. (apart from the part about adjusting a 135bpm track to 130bpm... avoid minus pitch as much as possible)

I can understand why you wouldn't adjust by 5 bpm but why avoid the minus pitch that seems a bit strange to me?,most turntables don't have it but key lock on a cd player can get around that pretty easily.
    I don't normally go +-3 either way though.
    recess is a great site for getting a grasp of the basics.

theone wrote:
    I can understand why you wouldn't adjust by 5 bpm but why avoid the minus pitch that seems a bit strange to me?,most turntables don't have it but key lock on a cd player can get around that pretty easily.
    I don't normally go +-3 either way though.
    recess is a great site for getting a grasp of the basics.
    i guess it all depends on the style of music you play...
    but setting the pitch to minus figures normally sounds crap to me

SuprSi wrote:
    I don't know what music you're into, but one of the best examples of 'programming' that I've ever come across is Northern Exposure II - Cd 1 (the Sasha mix). In some places it's difficult to tell where the tune starts and end as they blend together so well.
    Well worth listening to for an idea of what the lads are talking about.

great cd,I think your mixing up programming though when two tracks blend together it's more to do with the compatibility of the keys
    mixing in key
    Programming is the order of the tracks in which they are played ie. taking the listener on a journey usually through peaks and troughs in the music.
    keymixing and programming are two seperate things imo programming is alot more important than mixing.

tman wrote:
    i guess it all depends on the style of music you play...
    but setting the pitch to minus figures normally sounds crap to me
    fair enough never noticed that meself ,but it would sound crap aswell if you go too far either way, not just into the minus figures.

pffft!

+16 all the way :p

tman wrote:
    pffft!

+16 all the way :p
    always liked the chipmunks meself :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kingsize

"taking the listener on a journey usually through peaks and troughs in the music"
    Thats exactly what i meant by programming & thats the most important thing for me.
    If you can beatmatch perfectly it doesnt mean that your set wont sound like one long boring tune even if it has significant tempo changes.
    It helps to Know whats in your dj box inside out but a really skilled dj could probaby instinctively build a great set from a box of random records /cds thrown at him/her.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 mawgs

I found this site 'cause i was looking to see if there was any Djs or places willing to share their decks and show some basic techniques. I absolutely agree that teaching yourself and getting our own mixes is very satisfying, but for the poor people that can't afford there own turntables, it would be class if there was facilities out there...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Drum boy wrote: »
    Ok, im totally new to dj-ing!

Is there anyone out there who teaches all the basics -beatmatching, basic scratching etc.?

Im on the southside!

Cheers

:D

I'm no expert but ill teach you the basics mate, i assume your only young and getting into the whole scene?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

tman wrote: »

avoid minus pitch as much as possible)

:confused::confused::confused:

jonny68 wrote: »
    I'm no expert but ill teach you the basics mate, i assume your only young and getting into the whole scene?

Well he is 3 years older now, this is a very old thread - probably a pro now with residency somewhere in Ibiza :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I dunno, I'm totally self taught, I've never had anyone show me how to do anything, but man it has taken me a long time to get to where I am now! A mate of mine started DJing recently and I've been teaching him a little and am amazed at how far he has come so quick. I wish I had someone to teach me a few basic (and also more advanced) techniques back then, I would have advanced far more quickly...

I think a beginner should at least get a few pointers here and there when possible, better mixing makes for more enjoyable Dj'ing - less frustrating if you are making fewer mistakes etc. Also I hate to hear someone who think they are brilliant but in fact they are ****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,583 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Felixdhc wrote: »
    Well he is 3 years older now, this is a very old thread - probably a pro now with residency somewhere in Ibiza :D

Good point, hadnt noticed the start date of this thread.

please avoid dragging up ancient threads mawgs

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement