Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alcopops Vs Laws of Physics

Options
  • 29-03-2005 1:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭

As somebody who has passed his prime for going out on the town I just don't do it as much as I once did. I used to work as a barman as the alcopops entered the market. There were a ton of varieties all trying the new market. Anyway out recently and watched many youngsters drink things like fat frogs etc... I asked why pay so much for a drink? Was told because it gets you drunk really fast etc..
    This makes no sense take an average beer and average alcopop are both 5%.
    a Pint is say 525ml@ 5% for €4.50 that 26.25ml alcohol at 17cent per
    Alcopop is say 330ml@ 5% for €5.30 that 16.5ml alcohol at 32cent per.
    if you take two bottles of 330 @ 5% and mix then you get
    660m @5% (it stays at 5%!)for €10.60 that's still 33ml alchol at 32cent per.

I was broke when I was younger and I don't get why people who have little money would want to spend there money so baddly. I get if you like the taste but that's not why they were drinking the combinations it was the drunk factor. The extra sugar might help but not close to double that effect. :eek:

We used to drink Witches Blood (basically a black current Snake Bite and a shot of Pernoid added). :p
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭stagolee

they tend to throw the fat frogs down them, they wouldnt do that with a pint.
    also novelty :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Using your examples, I speak from personal experience when I say the effect is very different!!

Only tried fat frogs once, had 5 of them, i was leg-less, puking my ring up soon after, I've often drank 10pints and been nowhere near that drunk.

As stagolee was saying the difference is I threw back the fat frogs, takes me a good 15mins to drink a pint ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

OK a get you can drink them quickly but it costs so much more. If it's just the ease at knocking them back fair enough. Is it just that? I would actually credit youngsters with more cop when it comes to value to money. If you are 25 and working fair enough but if you are 18 in college or school I would have thought you just wouldn't have the money to spend.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Well when you're that age the point is generally to get drunk quick, so ya skip a few meals, put off getting a book or two... and get drunk! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

OK a get you can drink them quickly but it costs so much more. If it's just the ease at knocking them back fair enough. Is it just that? I would actually credit youngsters with more cop when it comes to value to money. If you are 25 and working fair enough but if you are 18 in college or school I would have thought you just wouldn't have the money to spend.

But these days, you do....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I guess its the sugar and alcohol combination- and the fact that kids may not have developed a taste for beers/Guinness. Alcopops give the kids a kick- they're drinking something that looks and tastes like a kiddies drink, but is alcoholic......
    The money equation really doesn't enter into it.

Personally, I think alcopops are quite disgusting. All that sugar...... bleurghhhh!
    Much rather a nice whiskey or even a nice beer, but thats just me, everyone for themselves.

Money doesn't seem to enter the equation for kids anymore- its not a problem when its easily earned. When I was in college- we nearly murdered each other for any jobs that were going- I remember over 40 of us applying for a few hours work in the bookshop at minimum wage- there simply were not jobs available. Its totally different these days- the only impediment to getting a job, is an ability to speak half coherent English, and even that is not necessarily a problem.

Times they are a changin'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 jimmy rodgers

we had our own alcopops back in the day...........remember 20/20? thunderbird?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,238 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I remember my older cousins used to get just as drunk (and I got pukingly drunk) when I was younger slamming back pint bottles of cider.

Though Fat Frogs do taste fantastic. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Azezil same thing happened to me from drinking bottles of alcopops(same thing as a fat frog but different flavour) mainly cos i drank em so fast, if i spread them out like i do beer i woulda been fine

We worked out in chemistry that the OP is right, beer gets ya much more drunk.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Sleepy wrote:
    I remember my older cousins used to get just as drunk (and I got pukingly drunk) when I was younger slamming back pint bottles of cider.

Though Fat Frogs do taste fantastic. :)

OK, I'm showing my age- the only Fat Frogs I knew of were the icepops......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

smccarrick wrote:

lol. Having been off "the scene" for a while myself I'd only heard about these alcopop cocktails from the younger fellas at work. Eventually tried one at a house party at xmas and I thought it was pretty disgusting; gimme a VnRB any day :D (as foul as they smell).

Oh and slightly off topic; I could never understand the attraction of paying through the nose for Smirnoff Ice or Bacardi Breezers when all they are is less than a short of vodka/rum added to Club Lemon/Orange etc...
    Just go buy a short 'n' a mixer FFS!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

shorts and a mixture can cost up to 7.70 in some places. 4odd for vodka + 3/4euro for the mixture... ripoff. You can get bottles of alcopop fors 5-6euro, mainly 6... also ripoff

Drink pints and smuggle in a naggin if you're ina rush to fall down... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

smccarrick wrote:
    These were the business on a hot summer's day! Cool ad's too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Knifey_Spoony

Personally I havent drank fat frogs or alcopops in general since i found out the amount calories they have because of all the sugar. its crazy. One bottle of blue wicked has 3 weightwatchers points in it (sorry, im a point fiend). That means a pint of fat frog is about 4.5pts me thinks. Wine is only 1.5 per glass and i get way drunker (yes its a word) on that for far less money and it tastes much better too :)

Advertisement