Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSP US launch

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Rozie wrote:
    The DS is something new at least. The graphics aren't ****-your-pants cool, but a lot of the gameplay sure is. It's a shame people write it off as a gimmick. It wasn't even fully intended to replace the GBA initially.

The few games I have played on the DS have made the touch screen feel just like a gimmick. It has alot of potential that is not being tapped into now.
    Rozie wrote:
    I don't want PS2 games on my handheld right now. I want them on my PS2 where the batteries don't run down after 3 hours (5+ hours is bull****, all those tests do is play Lumine, the first batch of games aren't going to be as taxing as the ones about to come).

Why does everyone just write off the PSP as nothing more than PS2 ports. :rolleyes: The maority of games out for it are orignial. Bullshit, I have got nearly 5 hours out of the battery when playing Ridge Racers.
    Rozie wrote:
    PS2 games I like to sit a down and concentrate on. Whereas Nintendo make a lot of games that would be fun portable. Mario 64 is hard to control (IMO the touch screen works marveously if you use it right though), but at least it's simple, fun, and therefore suitable to a handheld.

Another generalisation. Your complaing PS2 would not work well on portable console. Hence the reason developers are making simple games that are fast to get into for the PSP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 plague

Hahaha! N fanboy! :rolleyes:

Hate to tell you, the DS is nothing new either! Touch screen you say? Well, there are those things called palms, which have had touchscreen for quite a while.
    Two screens you say? Hmmm...there was I thinking Nintendo was innovative 15 years ago with 2 screens on their Donkey Kong/Mario handhelds!

So is 15 year old technology coupled with palm technology innovative? And it was brought in to compete against the PSP, hastily brought in too. But don't worry, when the bring out the real replacement to the GBA it'll all be ok.

And of course you have to bash the PSP on principles! Cos there's feck all games out for the DS! And how long has it been out? Compare DS games to those on the PSP, and the PSP has far more excellent games out! Just look at any gaming site to see!

And you don't want PS2 games on a handheld? But N64 games are sooo much better on a handheld! And you obviously don't have to concentrate on using the stylus, sure who could anyone have a problem holding the console in one hand and using the stylus in the other? Opps...bus just hit a bump, mario's dead...

God, then there's the total sales figures - cos they were released everywhere at the same time, NOT! And the battery life thrown in there too...obviously you don't read gaming sites, maybe it's time you did. Plus the latest try at an insult to anyone who might own a PS in any form - 'chav'. If you even have a DS, you don't deserve it! It's losers like you who are 'chav' incarnate. Don't have an original idea of your own.

At the very least competition is a good thing. 2D gaming won't die once companies keep making them, and making good games too. The PSP and DS can co-exist, great games will be released on both and anyone who owns either will be happy. Apart from people like you that is...you're never happy with anything.

And I ain't a Sony fanboy, but it annoys me when something is bashed like that, unfairly and totally one-sided. I'd be in the DS's corner if some Sony fanboy came on and did the whole 'mine's better then yours' with their PSP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

plague wrote:
    Hahaha! N fanboy! :rolleyes:

Hate to tell you, the DS is nothing new either! Touch screen you say? Well, there are those things called palms, which have had touchscreen for quite a while.
    Two screens you say? Hmmm...there was I thinking Nintendo was innovative 15 years ago with 2 screens on their Donkey Kong/Mario handhelds!

So is 15 year old technology coupled with palm technology innovative? And it was brought in to compete against the PSP, hastily brought in too. But don't worry, when the bring out the real replacement to the GBA it'll all be ok.

And of course you have to bash the PSP on principles! Cos there's feck all games out for the DS! And how long has it been out? Compare DS games to those on the PSP, and the PSP has far more excellent games out! Just look at any gaming site to see!

And you don't want PS2 games on a handheld? But N64 games are sooo much better on a handheld! And you obviously don't have to concentrate on using the stylus, sure who could anyone have a problem holding the console in one hand and using the stylus in the other? Opps...bus just hit a bump, mario's dead...

God, then there's the total sales figures - cos they were released everywhere at the same time, NOT! And the battery life thrown in there too...obviously you don't read gaming sites, maybe it's time you did. Plus the latest try at an insult to anyone who might own a PS in any form - 'chav'. If you even have a DS, you don't deserve it! It's losers like you who are 'chav' incarnate. Don't have an original idea of your own.

At the very least competition is a good thing. 2D gaming won't die once companies keep making them, and making good games too. The PSP and DS can co-exist, great games will be released on both and anyone who owns either will be happy. Apart from people like you that is...you're never happy with anything.

And I ain't a Sony fanboy, but it annoys me when something is bashed like that, unfairly and totally one-sided. I'd be in the DS's corner if some Sony fanboy came on and did the whole 'mine's better then yours' with their PSP.

I meant PS2 *type* games rather than PS2 ports. Apart from Lumiés, they'll all be epic 3rd person adventures anf complicated racers and stuff, whereas Nintendo has a more quick fix pick up and play approach.

And I'd like to see the PSP and DS do about equally well, but it looks like the DS could be wiped out for no good reason at all. If the PSP and DS do equally well, I'll be happy, and might even pick up a PSP when they go cheap.

And I own and like a PS2, so don't type cast me. I'm just annoyed that the DS is a piece of **** all of a suddeny when it was praised quite a lot for being surprisingly good in the beginning.

As for 15 year old technology... the DS is NOT 15 year old technology. Looking at it that why, why the **** are you using a washing machine with a Spectrum ZX processor in it? Or a phone that couldn't beat my Megadrive? The same technology doesn't apply to everything. Handhelds are a little different.

Plus, it's trying something innovative, and that isn't something that's been done before. The only console like it was the Game.com which didn't really work touchscreen into gameplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,119 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

lads dont turn the thread in psp v ds

its suppose to be only about psp as the title suggest

Are you complaining that games that might be made will just be **** ports? :confused:

Since when is the DS "a piece of ****"? IMO the mainstream will go for the PSP. Its all about the image of the machine. Look at the ipod :/

• Advertisement

Ciaran500 wrote:
    Are you complaining that games that might be made will just be **** ports? :confused:

Since when is the DS "a piece of ****"? IMO the mainstream will go for the PSP. Its all about the image of the machine. Look at the ipod :/

psp rocks

o ya

ds drools

had to say it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

Rozie wrote:
    Apart from Lumiés, they'll all be epic 3rd person adventures anf complicated racers and stuff,
    Ever hear of a game called Mercury for PSP , im playing it right now, I suggest you look it up before spouting shíte :rolleyes:

Mercury is out!! :confused:

EDIT: Its is. :eek: Whats it like?

L5 wrote:
    Ever hear of a game called Mercury for PSP , im playing it right now, I suggest you look it up before spouting shíte :rolleyes:
    whats it like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 plague

Sorry, don't want to turn it into a ds v psp thread. But then Rozie called the DS a pile of ****. :confused: ...not to worry

On another topic, L5, I'm guessing you like Mercury. Reviews I've read seem to like it, but say there are problems with controls and the camera. :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well, thanks for mentioning its not a PSP vs DS thread, its not.
    Both machines have pluses and minuses.
    No need to go into them here, start a new thread and do it there.
    This thread is about new owners of the PSP and and info and news relating to their new arrivals, save the school playground mines better than yours crap for some kids juvenile forum where you can argue about it alomg with what flavour crisps is the best, honestly you kids!

Anyway have owned both, both are good, both have flaws, both have great potential for furthering our hobby/passion.

I remember having the same arguements about the C64/Spectrum, Atari/Coleco, Amiga/ST, Nes/Master system, Snes/Megadrive, Gameboy/Gamegear/Lynx, Gba/Neo Geo Pocket Color, PS2/Xbox/Gamecube, PS/Saturn/N64.
    I am sure you get the picture, for

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    Well, thanks for mentioning its not a PSP vs DS thread, its not.
    Both machines have pluses and minuses.
    No need to go into them here, start a new thread and do it there.
    This thread is about new owners of the PSP and and info and news relating to their new arrivals, save the school playground mines better than yours crap for some kids juvenile forum where you can argue about it alomg with what flavour crisps is the best, honestly you kids!

Anyway have owned both, both are good, both have flaws, both have great potential for furthering our hobby/passion.
    dam right

psp owners /soon to be owners please only

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

whats it like

its great :D

really nice looking puzzle game. Controls brilliant, you just tilt the analog nub to tilt the level and the mercury slides around the place. Difficulty really jumped up after world 2. (6 worlds) but its real fun if you like puzzle games. I really like it so far :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 665 ✭✭✭8bi1ctzegfouva

im heading to new york next week, should i buy a psp over there? or is it worth waiting till they come out over here? i mean i have heard that the us psp is better in some ways than the chinese one. like they have fixed certain problems with it, but i also heard that the screen wasn't as good. so what i am thinking is that maybe when they come out over here they will be better again, i have heard rumours of online capability with the european ones.

so i am asking peoples opinions on whether i should wait or not?

also, does anyone know where i will be able to buy on in New York without getting ripped off?

and does anyone know if there is any truth behind the upgraded features on the euro-psp?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 55,500 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

im heading to new york next week, should i buy a psp over there? ..... also, does anyone know where i will be able to buy on in New York without getting ripped off?
    I started a thread on this last week (as I was going to NY too!). Read it here. I can confirm that as of last week, Gamestops and EBs downtown were sold out of PSPs (I decided to avoid disappointment in NY and bought it in Toronto before I went there). However, I was keeping an eye out for them in NY and couldn't find them anywhere. You might get them in one of the numerous electronic shops downtown, but buyer beware... make sure everything is in the box before you take it. Games seem to be freely available, however....

cheers man. will have a look at that thread now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Grab a PSP when you find one, should be a few about, only 600,000 of intial shipment of 1,000,000 have so far sold, may be holding excess back with distributors though.

Playing a lot of WipEout Pure at the mo, holy crap, its the best one yet, almost hypnotic to play. The Zone will soon overtake Tempest 2000 as the best way to unwind!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Woo my €150 PSP was shipped from DVDSoon last night :)

Anyone else order from DVDSoon when they were €150?

Congrats Man! Now join me and never order from them again!
    They are just after shipping my Mercury after it being preordered a month in advance, also still no sign of my Need for speed, what a pain.
    I would recommend videogamesplus if you are ever going to go canadian again.

When did you order your PSP as a matter of interest mbroaders?

Ordered on the 15th of Feb. Would of been in the first batch of orders.

Have been using DVDSoon for ages now and there still is nowhere you can get better prices for DVDs. They have always been a little dodgy for games as they don't seem to keep a lot of stock. I think the Mercury release date was put back as well which might count for your delay.

Anyhow, i was happy enough to wait for the PSP at the price i got it for and am chuffed that it has shipped (should be here Monday/Tuesday)

• Advertisement

Received it today. Looks great :)

I got the Gretzky bundle even though i ordered the Value Pack. DVDSoon must be losing a heck of a lot of money on those that ordered these for $220CAD.
    No Spiderman 2 UMD included though.

hey, just back from new york, they have them everywhere. not sold out at all.
    toys'r'us times square was the cheapest at $250.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭Elessar

Hi guys,

I'm seriously considering one of these beautys, what import company would people reccommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I imported my PSP in from PlayAsia but I have also been using liksang. I have had no problems with either and would reccomend them both.

[Just remember, the delivery address is also taken as the billing address on both sites]

*g

Cheers Winters, I've been doing some research myself.

I would be better off getting the Japan version as it supports R2 UMD movie discs, which will eventually be available here.

I've heard of people being stung with customs charges though. I could order the value pack off Lik-Sang for €250 (incl. shipping), but how much import duty would I pay?

Never ever buy anything from Dvdsoon, they are a seriously slow bunch and when I asked where my Need for Speed was after a month told me that I could normally wait between 4 and 6 weeks for a game to go to packaging and from there more delays are possible except now there would be no recourse to cancelling the prder, I just cancelled the order and looked for another game I was in no hurry to play.
    Honestly after a couple of months dealing with them I would rather pay the few bob extra and deal with a import site that treats its customers with respect rather than like an annoyance, like dvdsoon do.

Go to Videogamesplus.ca, much better service apparently

Did anyone here order from lik sang or play asia and pay customs? If so what pack did you get and how much customs did you pay?

How much would customs be for a €250 psp (thats the total price, including shipping)? Does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Customs is 21% iirc. I got charged a ttoal of €76 ... but I ordered my PSP a good few months ago when it was at a higher price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 hackster666

I got a PSP giga pack for xmas along with my bro and sis who also got one

but i've already had one pixel go

i suppose i can put up with it as it only shows up on things like black loading screen

if anyone has it really bad these ppl https://www.ps2repairs.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=282
    sell new psp screens for 40 quid

i heard there is a video or something you can download and it will flash or something so you get your pixel back working

Thanks
    Hackster:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 hackster666

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    Grab a PSP when you find one, should be a few about, only 600,000 of intial shipment of 1,000,000 have so far sold, may be holding excess back with distributors though.

just wondering if this happened any where else that sony didn't ship no where near what was needed in value packs in time for xmas however if you wanted a giga pack everywhere had one

thanks hackster

Advertisement