Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAO iguana owners

• 29-03-2005 3:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi there,

I recently purchased an iguana after much research about them on the net.
    However, there is a LOT of conflicting information out there on what is the best method of providing lighting/heating, and I am still not really sure that I am providing this in the best way... I want to be 100% sure that my iguana has the best possible surroundings...

do any of you guys own an iguana, and if so, how have you set up its lighting/heating? Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

My mate used to have an iggy and from what he reckons temps should be 85-95 f.Basking spot can be higher.5% UVB REQUIRED.
    Also a mistake a lot of Ig owners do is to feed them insects/pinkie mice.Do not do this.Iguanas are herbivores and live food can cause liver/kidney damage.

Also bear in mind that an full grown iguana needs a 6 foot cage and can be very territorial.Even down to hating ones partner.

An iguana bite can require multiple stiches and even a tail whipping can cause severe tissue damage--even down to eye loss.

Im glad that you did your research before buying but please dont do what a lot of ig owners do and that is to dump them on some animal shelter when they get too big to care for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Hiya,

Ok I have 2 monsters - I hope you realise that IGS cost a fortune to feed?? We spend 70-80 a week to feed ours! As Richie says ONLY a veggie diet! no insects or meats! Lots of calcium as well! The BEST site for info & the one I believe to be truest is www.anapsid.org This site will take we days/weeks to read it all but it is BRILL! have a cool end of 70-75 rising to 85 with a basking spot of 90-95 & they will be happy. Spray with water to keep the cage humid - how big is your iggie how big is the viv & what exactly do you feed it each day??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Our 2 are in a 10foot long 8feet high 4 feet wide viv & they have a small 3 foot radiator & we use a 250watt infa red heat lamp & then a 4 foot UV tube.

Advertisement