Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

xbox 2 wishlist

Options
  • 29-03-2005 4:43pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So Microsoft have come out with most of the hard specs for their new machine and come E3 we should all know exactly what we're getting with its launch, but until then what's on your wishlist that hasn't yet been confirmed or denied (hardware design and software features)? I'm mainly talking about the small features that will make the real difference once the titles are worthwhile.

mine:
    1. DVD playback out of the box (or at least the ability to use the original remote)
    2. A decent sized and fair priced HD at launch and not months later (or perhaps a good HD-based MP3 player that people have been whispering about)
    3. If wireless controllers are the way forward, please give them a docking station so we won't have to change the batteries every hour or put them into a seperate recharger.
    4. A better live headset.
    5. The choice of regions on live games such as Halo (I figure if you could chose to play European players only you could eliminate even some of the lag)
    6. A remotely portable machine
    7. A backup battery so you can switch the machine off and not have to reset the time when you turn it back on
    8. A launch price that isn't €500
    9. A new Halo that makes me forget the last level of the current one :D

flogen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭savemejebus

7 is a must have, i couldn't fathom why they didn't include a cmos battery in the original

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,888 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

i think xbox live needs a major overhaul, its really basic, there should definitely ba an option to choose which region you want to join, set it to europe/uk etc rather than constantly ending up on a laggy american server, also fps games should have a ping reading etc and games like Halo 2 should have proper server list where you get to stay on the same server without been booted off after every map.

Also I cannot understand why the current Xbox did not come with the option of a keyboard and mouse and games to be compabible with it from day 1.... its makes sense coz of the large number of fps games on the xbox, Halo, chronicles of riddick etc and many more... jopad controls are fairly rubbish for these games. The keyboard would also be very handy for typing on xbox live just as you do in pc online gaming.

Another thing is the launch price.. the launch price of the first machine was just stupid and hardly anyone bought it in its first year, hopefully the launch price of the new xbox wont be above €250.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Gonzo wrote:
    Also I cannot understand why the current Xbox did not come with the option of a keyboard and mouse and games to be compabible with it from day 1.... its makes sense coz of the large number of fps games on the xbox, Halo, chronicles of riddick etc and many more... jopad controls are fairly rubbish for these games. The keyboard would also be very handy for typing on xbox live just as you do in pc online gaming.

If there was officialy a keyboard and mouse support available it would make playing on Live unfair. People with a mouse would dominate matchs. This would make playing on Live pointless unless you splashed out more money on the keyboard and mouse.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Ciaran500 wrote:
    If there was officialy a keyboard and mouse support available it would make playing on Live unfair. People with a mouse would dominate matchs. This would make playing on Live pointless unless you splashed out more money on the keyboard and mouse.

true, but I would like to see a keyboard, just to make typing in live a little easier... not that you do it that much :D (oh, and I wouldn't complain too much about a €250 launch price, although I'd be amazed by it)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

f there was officialy a keyboard and mouse support available it would make playing on Live unfair. People with a mouse would dominate matchs. This would make playing on Live pointless unless you splashed out more money on the keyboard and mouse.

It would be good marketing if they did. A lot of people would buy a keyboard and mouse so micro could make some more money and people could get a lot more functionality from their boxs. Come on a keyboard and mouse doesn't cost that much.

BloodBath

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

One of the arguements thats going on between fan boys is that the Xbox is basically a low-spec Pc in a fancy box. So adding an Mouse and Keyboard would portray the Xbox 2 as that, and I think Microsoft want to establish their Xbox as a Console not a PC. Tbh id like to see a Mouse and Keyboard though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

i, for one, dont want to see a keyboard and mouse. Like already said, people who enjoy consoles enjoy joypads, people who dont like joypads enjoy the PC, keyboards and mouse. it would just be like a second PC if they added that...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Wow a magic keyboard and mouse that makes a locked-down console into a PC, that nice.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

jesus, how could I forget:

10. backwards compatability

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

11. The ability to brutally murder any Xbox live muppet?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

BloodBath wrote:
    It would be good marketing if they did. A lot of people would buy a keyboard and mouse so micro could make some more money and people could get a lot more functionality from their boxs. Come on a keyboard and mouse doesn't cost that much.

BloodBath

As has been mentioned, Microsoft wanted to avoid the idea that the X-Box was really just a PC, because that wasn't the market they were going for. They actually went out of there way to show that the x-box was not trying to be a PC that played video games.

They didn't want people attaching keyboards and mice to it and using it as a cheap PC. They want the X-Box and X-Box 2 to become perminant fixtures in the living room, beside the TV, rather than in the bedroom or study, beside the computer.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I agree, its a console, the games are all optimised for a joypad which is why they port so badly to a pc in terms of playability. I'd be pretty sure the developers wish to design for either a joypad OR a kb+mouse, not having to have a comprise half way for both. Besides, as some said, MS are aiming for the tv rooms of the world, having 6 remotes is bad enough, but a kboard and mouse on your coffee table doesn't work, next thing there'd be the "official xbox tv cabinet/desk/thingy". There's nothing wrong with the joypads, i've had as much out of playing halo 1 and 2 as i have had playing hl2 and far cry. (please don't take this as comparing and rating each game) - for me i'm used to using both and therefore am quite happy to use the input that the developers deem suitable to each game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

Also I'd like it to ship with a 40" plazma screen HDTV and still be under €300

Advertisement