Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Service Provider

• 29-03-2005 5:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭

Ok my local exchange just got upgraded for Broadband, Big question is which provider to choose

Eircom
    IOL / Esat
    U TV
    VeePhone
    Smart Telecom

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Tweaky

Esat give the best value for money if you change over your phone line. Higher caps etc. As a matter of interest what exchange are you on ? I'm in cork also waiting for my exchange to be upgraded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭Subc

go for IOL or UTV or Smart, then check wuts the best deal for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Just stay far far away (perhaps in Oz) from eircom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

I would have said Smart - if you're going to get free line rental for life, and they're 'relatively independent' of eircom, and 2Mbps entry.

causal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Bah

*Slightly* off topic, but can somebody tell me if the IOL 3 month free trial is due to end soon (like the Eircom one is)? I want to get broadband for June-August, but since I wont be around to use it after September, I don't want to sign up for a 12 month contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Tweaky wrote:
    Esat give the best value for money if you change over your phone line. Higher caps etc. As a matter of interest what exchange are you on ? I'm in cork also waiting for my exchange to be upgraded.
    Surely Smart do the best value for money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Willymuncher

Bah wrote:
    *Slightly* off topic, but can somebody tell me if the IOL 3 month free trial is due to end soon (like the Eircom one is)? I want to get broadband for June-August, but since I wont be around to use it after September, I don't want to sign up for a 12 month contract.

It ends in two days...

Getting back to the original post, I'd go with Esat if i were you...bigger caps, not as dear as eircom, good pings (for me anyways)...good service over all, i heard utv are pretty strict as regards the cap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

Just stay far far away (perhaps in Oz) from eircom
    ah wouldn't say that! ok the cap (which IS unenforced) is a bit crap but the quality of the service is good and i'm yet to hear a significant rant on boards about eircom not runnig at speed!

Put i like this I got a year or so now and I have had no problem at all, and no problem at all is worth the extra few quid. Better than paying less and having service that is sluggish and troublesome!, IIB etc.

p.s. I'll believe smart when i see it, It looks all too like an esat no-limits in the making.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

If your looking for really bad support, endless hours on the phones waiting for support, bad pings, dodgy service, cheap and unreliable then hell I think you would be at home with UTV :D

Smart are runners up -- if they where in your area..

Then esat..

Then the other crowd

- Sully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭tech

Im in the West Cork area, Ive been on IOL No Limits and IOL Anytime for years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Tweaky

Surely Smart do the best value for money?

If the exchange has only just been enabled for broadband it will a hell of a long time before smart gets there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭tech

any one else recommmend a good Service provider?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

ntl :p

sorry - couldn't resist :D

causal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 ericzheng

Anybody can help me to explain the pricing of IOL Broadband with phone package,
    "€33.15 per month with a home phone package - eircom's rate is €39.99", is that mean we only need to pay €33.15 per month for both Broadband and fixed monthly phone line rental or still should pay €33.15 per month for Broadband + eircom's monthly fixed line rental?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

ericzheng wrote:
    Anybody can help me to explain the pricing of IOL Broadband with phone package,
    "€33.15 per month with a home phone package - eircom's rate is €39.99", is that mean we only need to pay €33.15 per month for both Broadband and fixed monthly phone line rental or still should pay €33.15 per month for Broadband + eircom's monthly fixed line rental?

The latter is correct (iol's product plus line rental). You cannot avoid line rental AFAIK unless you are in a postion to go to Smart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

that or one of esat's business packages where they takeover your line and deactivate the voice....
    (only available from the rare esat h/w installed exchanges tho)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

tech wrote:
    any one else recommmend a good Service provider?
    Eircom:
    Pro's:
    There a reliable service
    Relatively good support
    Consistant speeds

con's:
    There pricey

May view is , pay peanuts you get monkeys. And an extra 20 quid a month in Ireland isn't going to make an amazing difference in the greater scheme of things.

Advertisement