Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hacker = Terrorist

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

btw, some of that stuff is pretty incredible.. and for the UK readers out there Terrorist does not equal Irish smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

I guess according to that definition, maliciously cutting a power cable would make you a terrorist...?!
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">the difference is seen as being that hackers do it for the fun of it and just to see if they can and don't do anything malicious or damaging, whereas crackers do it purely for personal gain or because of some malicious intent</font>

Well if you're going to go into that, technically speaking a hacker wouldn't have anything to do with interfering with an electronic system. They are just good programmers that know their system very well.

But we've all heard this debate before smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Kind of true bard, however you'll find the cops in England have no sense of humour when it comes to things like that.

For example tell someone who works at an airport your smuggling guns for terrorists as a joke. (At least in america they have massive signs telling people not to joke to anyone about certain things in airports).

So saying "Hey I just took out thier website to prove how cool I was" probably isn't going to help in your defense to prove your not a terrorist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

wouldnt that define a 'cracker' rather than a 'hacker'?

I know the worm can that opens is a long enough debate, but basically the difference is seen as being that hackers do it for the fun of it and just to see if they can and don't do anything malicious or damaging, whereas crackers do it purely for personal gain or because of some malicious intent.

Advertisement