Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ratemyteachers.ie

Options
  • 29-03-2005 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Have you been to www.ratemyteachers.ie what do you think of it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

*oh not again

Do a search, you will find numerous other threads on this website.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭StonedParadoX

well i cant be arsed doing a search for your numerous so cold threads on this website so ill say how bloody kewl it is and all that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 MikeB

well i cant be arsed doing a search for your numerous so cold threads on this website so ill say how bloody kewl it is and all that

Oh great thanks for that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

cooperguy wrote:
    Have you been to www.ratemyteachers.ie what do you think of it.

timeline.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Good luck in English :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭StonedParadoX

lol yeah man i came across the site from a post on the irish board @ gamefaqs and i did a search on my school and looked at a few posts about my teachers i laughed when most of em said they hated a certain teacher.. ****in muppets if u ask me .. he only hates you and treats you like **** if you dont pay attention and do well in class

people are stupid

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=234749

There's a thread we already had on this board about it.
    I think it is a bit crappy that teachers can be given bad ratings simply because students don't like them, not because they're actually bad teachers. The fact that it's anonymous rating is good and bad in that sense because it gives the students the freedom to say what they want without fear of being caught - good because if a teacher really is bad you can say it, but bad because you can be unnecessarily nasty due to a personality clash.
    Also, what's to stop teachers opening accounts and rating themselves and their colleagues? I bet some of them are doing it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Fishie wrote:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=234749

There's a thread we already had on this board about it.
    I think it is a bit crappy that teachers can be given bad ratings simply because students don't like them, not because they're actually bad teachers. The fact that it's anonymous rating is good and bad in that sense because it gives the students the freedom to say what they want without fear of being caught - good because if a teacher really is bad you can say it, but bad because you can be unnecessarily nasty due to a personality clash.
    Also, what's to stop teachers opening accounts and rating themselves and their colleagues? I bet some of them are doing it

The idea of the site is that because so many people give a rating it doesnt matter if one person decides to give a bad rating just because he/she has a grudge. If the teacher is good then the majority of the ratings will be good and that means you will be able to see what the teacher is realy like and ignore the person with the grudge.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Use the other fecking thread and stop fecking creating a new one each time it goes past the second page. Geez

- Sully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Ratemyteachers is great! :) I think nearly everyone from my year from last year has put down arcastic comments about our teachers. I think most people give them an honest rating but for the comment you are allowed write about the teachers we take the piss out of them by using their catchphrases etc. The only problem now is I think one of my mates has put up one of our ex classmates as a teacher for performing arts. I reckon next week everyone who used to be in my year will be put up there as teachers! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

Fishie wrote:

That's the flip side. I try to get on with all my teachers, I'm a A/B student and I gave them all pretty good ratings, but there are teachers in my school who just dont like kids. And for some strange reason they're getting all 5's, and the majority of votes are for them. now why's that? I reckon its their colleagues trying to boost staff morale. It defeats the purpose of the site, it's stupid. It's ratemyteachers, not ratemyco-workers. And about getting caught: Apparently the crowd who moderate the site (based in California) sell IPs to keep the site running so tracking is indeed possible

The only problem now is I think one of my mates has put up one of our ex classmates as a teacher for performing arts. I reckon next week everyone who used to be in my year will be put up there as teachers! :D

They somehow know the dud entries from the non-dud entries. A friend of mine put all the teachers from the Ross O'Carroll-Kelly books in under Blackrock College and apparently they were removed after a week or so. And I added girls from the local convent as dance teachers, but they were removed after two or three days

does the moderator of the schools sub page(usually a student from said school) know the IP's?

Also, I suspect that a certain teacher in my school got there first and gave themselves the job of moderator. Any way to verify / disprove this theory?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

upmeath wrote:
    A friend of mine put all the teachers from the Ross O'Carroll-Kelly books in under Blackrock College and apparently they were removed after a week or so.
    Ross went to Castlerock, not blackrock,

true, but i think castlerock is a cover-up... ever heard of a school called castlerock in the leinster schools cup? i certainly havent. correct me if im mistaken, but castlerock is a hybrid of castleknock and blackrock created to avoid legal complications.
    and it's quite possible that a teacher is your school's mod. there's nothing to stop that happening, they can vote as students if they like so im sure they can register as students and moderate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Castlerock is blatantly Blackrock under a pseudonym. It's got nothing to do with Castleknock apart from the 'Castle' in the name. I mean, he lives in Foxrock, and his life is based round the locality and nowhere near Castleknock.

My 2 cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

There's uproar about this in my school.

My History teacher went on a mad rant about it at the start of school after the teachers had a big 20-minute conference over it. Not that there's much that can come from a conference, I mean it's a website and people are posting anonymously, there's no way anyone can find out who's doing what, so how CAN they censor students giving the school a fair whack of the stick?? HMMMM???

And do they not realise that teachers going on rants like that will only popularise the site?

I've been working as a kind of advertisement for the site by asking various teachers what they thought of it, which usually leads into an unhappy teacher having to harbour a conversation on the topic with interested people who'd never heard of it. The best reaction I got was a teacher who's got a HORRIBLE rating getting all flustered like, "Wh-Why would you ask me about that? Stop trying to change the topic? AHHH-AHHHHHHHHH!!!"

Well not exactly like that, but you get the message.

And just because I don't like her, here's her ratings:

<snip>

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

check up a school called clonkeen and one teacher called <snip>
    i just checked randomly and my god! sounds like a monster

Worst ratings have to be <snip> in my school, Terenure college, look at him!

<snip>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Shyster

its a brilliant idea for past pupils to see how teachers are getting on nowadays...theres ratings for my school from the class of '87?!

Its mostly used to post their idosyncrasies and smart comments so while its all in good fun, its doing no harm!!

Pity the people who's school's have blocked it.....ha ha suckers :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Worst ratings have to be <snip> in my school, Terenure college, look at him!

<snip>
    "Are you chewing? is it gum?"

""Alright Peter, whats your name?" Is the only thing I can remember him saying and it dident come up in the leaving(shock). Got an E. WORST TEACHER EVER!"

<snipped_quote>

I ****ing LOVE this guy, hahahaha!

upmeath wrote:
    They somehow know the dud entries from the non-dud entries. A friend of mine put all the teachers from the Ross O'Carroll-Kelly books in under Blackrock College and apparently they were removed after a week or so. And I added girls from the local convent as dance teachers, but they were removed after two or three days
    Click on a teacher on the website, above their ratings there is a link saying "Report an Error". Other people obviously realised that they weren't really teacher and reported it to the moderator, who then deleted them.

It's quite obvious that Castlerock is meant to be Blackrock College... The first book was originally called 'The Miseducation of Ross O'Carroll-Kelly' (ie. The Miseducation of ROCK) but Blackrock College made a fuss and said they were being victimised. Consequently, the first two books were rewritten, so now they're called 'The Miseducation Years' and 'The Teenage Dirtbag Years'. Blackrock College is mentioned a few times in the books now so that it's quite clear it's not Castlerock, and a few other things were changed drastically

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Guys, anonymous voting and commenting works fine on that site, but not here.

Please don't mention any teacher's names, or link to any specific ratings from here.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

lol yeah man i came across the site from a post on the irish board @ gamefaqs and i did a search on my school and looked at a few posts about my teachers i laughed when most of em said they hated a certain teacher.. ****in muppets if u ask me .. he only hates you and treats you like **** if you dont pay attention and do well in class

people are stupid

hey,it's overdose!

story.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

Cool_CM wrote:
    Ross went to Castlerock, not blackrock,

and LMAO. First name terms are we?

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭syncosised

TimAy wrote:
    hey,it's overdose!

story.
    hey, it's TimAy!

story.

(it's NO :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

i think the teachers from my old school are doing the modeating themselves. Was on it and done my ratings for them all and the comments when it was unmoderated. Some comments were bad and now when I checked back it s moderated and all the bad comments are gone, plus the changed all the names from thier nicknames to their real ones. And amazingly there are a good few fives floating about which is quite shocking . No point to it really if they are going ot delete the bad comments and give themselves all fives. Think this is the end of it

Yeah, I was wondering whether some schools would have teachers as the moderators. I mean, there's nothing to stop it realy, since it's all anonymous in the first place... There's also nothing to stop teachers going in and rating themselves and their colleagues

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

I`m moderator for my school. I keep it fairly well I think. VEry few people actually abuse it anyway and if anyone has a problem they`ll be quick to make a complaint for me to sort it out.

• Advertisement

Do you use your normal name? Our school is moderated by "local student". I'm not sure what that actually means, but It sounds like something a teacher might use as their screen name.

Advertisement