Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the worst area in dublin?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

Any soulless suburb full of council estates is horrible, e.g. Tallaght, Ballyfermott, Darndale, Ballymun etc. Inner city is not too bad, hence apartments in the city hold their value much better as people like to live as close to town as possible. Most people would rather live beside the flats in the Liberties or up in Drumcondra than beside a kenacker estate in the middle of nowhere, e.g. Jobstown. Those places are just out of control...and you have nowhere to run to :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Most people would rather live beside the flats in the Liberties or up in Drumcondra than beside a kenacker estate in the middle of nowhere, e.g. Jobstown.

I'm in Drumcondra and can't think of any flats in the area?
    Where are you referring to? :confused:
    Are you confusing Drumcondra with Ballybough?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

micmclo wrote: »

Flats = Apartments = Flats in dub speak. Arent there apartments in Drumcondra?

deswalsh wrote: »
    None that I know of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

micmclo wrote: »

Drumcondra's grand. Just making the point that inner city living is the way to go. Even Summerhill has been gentrified to a huge degree. I remember walking through about 7 or 8 years ago and thinking it resembled Sao Paolo, but nowadays every spare bit of land has been filled in with private apartment blocks, and alot of the notorious blocks of flat have been torn down. The knacks are fleeing to the fringes. Yuppies are slowly but surely taking over the north inner city. It's great :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

In culchie speak flats and apartments are radically different things both on a design level and a social class level.
    It's like we speak an entirely different language. :p

Fair point Chessplayer, Drumcondra is a great area and has no business being in this thread.
    Edit: Inner city Dublin is within the canals and Drumcondra is outside this.
    Loads of work going on in Summerhill but still has a long way to go imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

latchyco wrote: »
    My family move from ballyfermot to rathfarnham way back in the 70s , worst thing we could have done ,i hated the place ...yes its got nice scenery around rathfarnham..nice mountains,parks etc, and some wonderful people ,but some of the lowest lowlifes also live in that area and surrounding suburbs (churchtown ,sandyford , ballinteer) and it was a case of better the devil you know as far as i was concerned.
    At least you knew who was who in ballyer ,but i suppose that was then .....ah well ,just my slant on it ....

rant over.

You poor little person you don't have a clue you should have stayed in ballyfermot.
    I have lived in Sandyford for 20 years now and never seen any hassle .
    Can you say the same about ballyfermot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

Ah in fairness now you'll surely get some hassle, esp outside Eugene's late at night! ;)
    Edenmore aint so bad now it's true but I wouldnt move back there. It hasnt settled down nearly enough yet.

dont know where the earlier poster was coming from with the Edenmore/Coolock/donaghmede comments, I've been in far far worse areas.

edenmore is still pretty damn dodgy! it's easier for me to count the times i havent had hassle than the times i have! i know it's a while ago, but in scouts, anytime the door was open in flew a firework or banger!

coolock and donaghmede are definitely fine now...

stoneybatter is pretty dodgy at the wrong time of the night! ie, closing time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭marmajam

Rathgar is evil. People are horrible there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

doonothing wrote: »
    but in scouts, anytime the door was open in flew a firework or banger!

In fairness, I could think of worse things happening to you.

Nothing in Dublin compares with the estate in Limerick where house prices are 15K.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

you better stick fairview down now due to random bombs, rapes and beatings

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

You know, I think I can settle this thread for once and for all. The worse place in Dublin has got to be anywhere on the M50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭nannou4

Yes there are a few hard areas near the m50 but the inner city would destroy them in toughness tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Sliced pan

In my opinion
    Northside=
    Corduff in Blanchardstown and the estates south west of it.
    South/West Finglas very tough places.
    O' Devaney's Gardens is it still their
    Parts of Ballymun most of it is grand except up by Poppintree
    Kilmore
    Darndale/Priorswood all around their do ye call it north coolock
    Summerhill
    Sheriff Street/Sevilla Place

Southside=
    West Tallaght which includes Jobstown, Killinarden, Brookfield and Fettercairn
    North Clondalkin
    Cherry Orchard in Ballyfermot the rest isn't to bad anymore
    Fatima Mansions worth a mension even though its gone
    Maybe lower Crumlin and parts of Drimnagh
    Thomas Street/Marrowbone lane
    A few places off cork street like teresa's Gardens

I feel sorry for Ballybrack and Sallynoggin stuck in the middle of all those posh muppets

and Id love to know where you can buy a house for 15k in Limerick when in the worst area's like Galvone or Moyross you can sell your house to the council for around 100k. Its like saying the same about Jobstown or Darndale people living in ****holes find it hard to sell privatly so have to sell to the council.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

nannou4 wrote: »
    Yes there are a few hard areas near the m50 but the inner city would destroy them in toughness tbh.

I think he meant the traffic.. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭mox54

All the above are pretty piss poor locations, I'm a redneck who works in Dublin and get around the city a lot, Dolphins Barn has to be hitting first spot or very near it but the worst of Dublin is a serene parkland compared to moyross in Limerick and I've been there too - It's awful and should be bombed off the face of the earth:mad: together with it's occupants!!

I'm with you. I lived in one of the areas above, not half as bad as Sliced Pan makes it out to be. He left out areas much worse than mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

irishbird wrote: »
    you better stick fairview down now due to random bombs, rapes and beatings

That's just Fairview Park tbh. I'd never set foot in that place after dark, even during the day it can be dodgy. It's basically where East Wall, Ballybough and Fairview all meet. Barcode is allegedly in Clontarf aswell and adjoins the edge of Fairview Park, so you can add Clontarf to the list there.

An Citeog wrote: »
    That's just Fairview Park tbh. I'd never set foot in that place after dark, even during the day it can be dodgy. It's basically where East Wall, Ballybough and Fairview all meet. Barcode is allegedly in Clontarf aswell and adjoins the edge of Fairview Park, so you can add Clontarf to the list there.

What city park would you go in to at night? Central Park in New York, Gorky Park in Moscow? I wouldn't chance it anywhere. Barcode is in Clontarf, doesn't make it a "worst area". A girl was raped and killed lately in Galway. Was that in a terrible area?

I know I left out a few its hard to mention them all, which ones did you not agree on Lightning. Yeah I know Moyross had the highest crimes recorded for an estate in 2006 in ireland don't know about 2005 still trying to find out and it was Jobstown in 2004

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭greatgoal

wellview or dromheath in mulhuddert.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Sliced pan wrote: »
    In my opinion
    Northside=.........
    .......................Sheriff Street
    Perhaps a few years ago but have you been down there lately? It's practically a building site with new apartments, the Point Village etc. It also has free parking along the street. ;)

Yeah, I lived there for 12 years. Its not all that bad.

I suppose I haven't been on sheriff street since I worked their about 4 years ago never had any hasle their myself. I was goin by what I thought a ****hole was crime, drug addicts, run down ness, scumbags not shams real scumbags, lack of facilities and dirt.

Where exactly did you work?

I dabbled in security for a while horrible job but as i said I had no problems in Sheriff Street I think its lower sheriff street I was on, closest part to busarus?

Yeah, I guess it can be a bit drap around there. I wouldn't put it down as one of the worst areas. Most of the city centre is pretty gentle compared with other cities. Its those huge huge estates on the outskirts that would worry me. You know the type, massive green areas, no trees, some houses boarded up, scorch marks up the walls, sh*te graffiti, burnt out cars, big, intimidating groups of complete scangers, the younger the scarier. As you say, the "real scumbags" probably wouldn't be bothered with you or me. Its the groups of younger ones that feel they need to prove something that scares me.

Just like where im from.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 arsalanoovf

in my opinion some of the worst places can be:

Carduf in Blanchardstown a real ****hole
    Some areas around fairview park

and what do u ppl think of balyogan ?????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Sliced pan wrote: »

Thomas Street/Marrowbone lane
    A few places off cork street like teresa's Gardens

Thomas St is only bad because of the surrouding areas, Oliver Bond, Victor St flats, the Coombe and Teresas Gardens.

Teresa's Gardens is one of the worst parts of the south-side, living 2 minutes from it for 17 years its a horrible place *counts down the days till it's demolished*.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement