Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the worst area in dublin?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,307 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Sometimes you 'have' to go places you don't want during the night.:D
    Fixed that for you.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭berliner

jojobrad wrote: »
    Ive lived in Finglas all my life. Ive never been mugged, egged, attacked or other (insert traumatic experience here). I have alot of wonderful childhood memories of Finglas, growing up and the great friends I have made over the years. Finglas has a bad name but its not a bad place to live.
    Wasn't there a riot there recently? People pulled out of their cars and beaten,cars burned.Sounds like a terrible place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 CrackBadger

HAHAHAH Jesus Christ if anyone here thinks Dublin is bad they need to go to some third world cities and see how safe it is. I grew up in Dublin (A nice area) but I've been to some of the ****holes (Ballymun, Tallaght, Dolphins Barn, Ballyfermot, and I've even hung around with my cousin in Darndale) and they're not the nicest places to be but they're a ****in joke compared to cities like Kingston in Jamaica.

I'm back now but I lived in St Annes Bay in Jamaica for 2 years and that place is ****in mental. The people are friendly and all but going out at night theres like walking through a battlefield in Afghanistan. You have to be ready for anything. Of course being white made things 10 times worse for me but theres so many murders there its ridiculous. In St Annes Bay alone there were about 50 murders in the 2 years I was there and thats not even one of the bad parts of Jamaica. Kingston accounts for 70% of Jamaicas murders and on average 3 people get killed in Jamaica a day.

Americans and Europeans are such pussies its ridiculous. They have no idea what safe and priviledged lives they have. I been to the so called bad cities in America like New Orleans, Memphis, D.C. and Detroits and its like going on a picnic in the vatican city compared to cities like Kingston and Maypen in Jamaica. I think Americans and Europeans should try living in some of the cities in Jamaica or Brazil or South Africa and see how bad they think they're city is after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 nyc-dublin

Agreed Dublin is statistcally one of the safest cities on the planet. I think Ireland averages out at roughly 1 murder per wk, give or take.
    US cities while not as dangerous as somewhere like Jamaica still have fairly high murder rates.

NYC(5 boroughs only) murder totals-

1980 - 1,814
    1981 - 1,826
    1982 - 1,668
    1983 - 1,622
    1984 - 1,450
    1985 - 1,384
    1986 - 1,582
    1987 - 1,672
    1988 - 1,896
    1989 - 1,905
    1990 - 2,262*
    1991 - 2,154
    1992 - 1,995
    1993 - 1,946
    1994 - 1,561
    1995 - 1,117
    1996 - 983
    1997 - 770
    1998 - 629
    1999 - 664
    2000 - 673
    2001 - 660
    2002 - 587
    2003 - 596
    2004 - 572
    2005 - 540
    2006 - 596
    2007 - 496

*highest on record

• Registered Users Posts: 22,307 ✭✭✭✭Esel

So, because our murder rate is low, anywhere in Dublin is a great place to live......

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

HAHAHAH Jesus Christ if anyone here thinks Dublin is bad they need to go to some third world cities and see how safe it is.

Americans and Europeans are such pussies its ridiculous. I think Americans and Europeans should try living in some of the cities in Jamaica or Brazil or South Africa and see how bad they think they're city is after that.
    Surely it's subjective? The thread is talking about Dublin on a Dublin forum. Limerik has some rancid sh!tholes but their not getting a mention as the OP is talking about Dublin.
    As you were born in Europe aren't you kinda calling yourself something there?
    I've lived in some rancid sh!tholes in far flung places during some very dangerous times and wouldn't reccommend it to the general populace of europe and america just so they can appreciate their relatively comfortable lives. Not really something you'd reccommend for others to experience. It's just something some people do.
    Anyway it's Castlenock. Godawful. Nearly makes me wanna ring my ex-commander in the IDF looking for my old post back on west bank duties...nearly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Affable

HAHAHAH Jesus Christ if anyone here thinks Dublin is bad they need to go to some third world cities and see how safe it is. I grew up in Dublin (A nice area) but I've been to some of the ****holes (Ballymun, Tallaght, Dolphins Barn, Ballyfermot, and I've even hung around with my cousin in Darndale) and they're not the nicest places to be but they're a ****in joke compared to cities like Kingston in Jamaica.

Americans and Europeans are such pussies its ridiculous. They have no idea what safe and priviledged lives they have. I been to the so called bad cities in America like New Orleans, Memphis, D.C. and Detroits and its like going on a picnic in the vatican city compared to cities like Kingston and Maypen in Jamaica. I think Americans and Europeans should try living in some of the cities in Jamaica or Brazil or South Africa and see how bad they think they're city is after that.

Just because Jamaica is worse doesn't mean it's that wise to hang out in Hackney, or Moss-side.(Interestingly note those, and other, bad areas links with the Caribbean) I don't really see why you made that point. Things could still be better in our cities.

Affable wrote: »
    I don't really see why you made that point.

He's excited he was in Jamaica and wants to share his experience (or highlight his perception of our lack of) with everyone.
    Mustn't have got enough hits on his blog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 CrackBadger

Yea NYC America has a huge population though. Jamaica has less people than Ireland. Washington DC's meant to have a real high murder rate for its population though. Yea what I'm saying is irrelevant I suppose cuz this is about Dublin not the rest of the world.

Yea NYC America has a huge population though. Jamaica has less people than Ireland. Washington DC's meant to have a real high murder rate for its population though. Yea what I'm saying is irrelevant I suppose cuz this is about Dublin not the rest of the world.
    It is as the thread says 'worst'. That doesn't have to mean the most dangerous nor grimiest area. Just the worst place in your opinion for whatever reason that is.
    And it's definately castlenock.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Bartronilic

do you mean the area AROUND castleknock? cos in parts of castleknocks houses go for over a million.......

And ye Finglas is no Soweto

do you mean the area AROUND castleknock? cos in parts of castleknocks houses go for over a million.......

And ye Finglas is no Soweto
    Nope I mean the area where the houses go for a million. Blood thickening creeping boredom. The dull pulse of pretention is exasperating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Some of the good areas have bad people coming down to them as well, every summer Clontarf is flooded by people coming down from Darndale or Eastwall, one of my mates got decked just for asking a randomer from Darndale for a smoke because he was acting friendly.

Some southside areas are proper dodgy as well, my mom's car was robbed from the parking area of Tallaght court house, says a lot lol:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭stink_fist

All areas in Dublin are exactly the same, some just have nicer buildings and people with more paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 timbook

Kernel wrote: »
    I'm from Walkinstown. Hasn't been mentioned as a bad area by anyone here, and indeed it isn't. Nice and safe, great place to bring up the kids.

Sorry for opening this one up again but............

I once came out of the submarine bar, and watched in horror as a man of about 20 pushed a man with down syndrome out of a van, which was being loaded full of musical PA gear, and drove the van down towards walkisntown roundabout. Huge speakers flew out of the Van all along the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Bartronilic

^ thats just ireland, in general. submarine isnt in walklinstown either, technically

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 timbook

^ thats just ireland, in general. submarine isnt in walklinstown either, technically

Maybe not technically, but it is very close, and my point was that the guy sped off in the direction of walkinstown?

I don't like listening to people who don't know enough about a place. I actually prefer if people have a closed mind about a place that they just ask, or go and experience it for a while, instead of just jumping on a stereotyped bandwagon? For that reason, I responded in relation to Ballymun. Are Walkinstown and Ballymun so different from each other? I think not, just stigma in names thats all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Brendan777

This has to be the saddest post ive ever seen, Debyaka u are obviously an idiot. I am from ballyfermot, I have lived in the following places: Inchicore 2 years, Dorset street 2 yrs, North Frederick St 1 yr, Cabra 2 years, Smithfield 2 years. At present I am buying a place in Cabra and that will be all the moving dobne with. I am a secondary school teacher. All the places I lived were great-yes there were addicts, alcos, and some crime. But so what??? Thats just part of life and certainly nothing to be afraid of. Scummers? Chavs? This language is just sad-it shows how terrified yee all are in ur own society-its really pathetic. Dublin is great, vibrant, entertaining...but you need courage to enjoy it-something all yee who posted on this thread are severly lackiking!!"Windbags!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Your a secondary school teacher? You cannot be serious? :D

Yea I am, sorry bout the spelling at the end of the post, its still early and I havent had my coffee yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭berliner

Brendan777 wrote: »
    Yea I am, sorry bout the spelling at the end of the post, its still early and I havent had my coffee yet.
    There's no way you're a teacher.Never heard of a teacher living in so many crap locations.You're having a laugh i reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭xxchloexx

i live in fettercairn and alothough lots of people seem to think the place is a kip its actually grand. lived here 14 years now and have no problems .. its a very tight nit community and everyone knows everyone . once you have lived here a while then you will have no bothers , Saying this i must say i know people who walk through fettercairn and get asked for a smoke etc of fellas hanging around but they wouldnt start on you or anything , some of the places are a bit dirty but not something you would be afraid to walk down the road because of ..

I really hope berliner is just a name u picked, its such a wonderful city and the people are great, be sad to think a retarded individual such as urself comes from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Signature

I'm not sure.

In some places there are 'good' parts and 'bad' parts (e.g. Tallaght).

Does the 'worst' only bring out a dislike of tough or rough or how high the skanger or junky crowd is? Doesn't for me. Take Stoneybatter, for me it's one of my favourite spots in Dublin for a number of reasons but there are a hell of a lot of junkies and skangers but at least it's not sterile. Or Dalkey town...another fave for a number of reasons. There are no junkies and no skangers lingering on the corners and it's not sterile. There are great tough-ish areas and brilliant middle-class areas. Sterileness makes me creep out, spiritually sap me.
    I do think Finglas is very damp and I nearly always see a pregnant woman smoking when I'm passing through. But yet you can see brilliant things like a horse tied up in someone's front garden and you can go shopping in Superquinn.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Well i've read alot of the posts here and agree with some, yes parts of finglas/tallaght/ballyfermot etc and in the city centre can be pretty rough, but there are also alot of areas that get a bad rep for being next to a sh*thole part, thus not EVERY part of one area is a sh*thole. I myself have lived in Oliver Bond House all my life and to me, it dont seem too bad but to someone not from the area? it might be the place they dont wanna wander into at night even though they know nobody there or what they are like.

Sure there are drug dealers and scumbags living here, but its the ones that live in areas like this that pick up most of the attention and not the ones who live a nice life hiding their activities, yet there are people like me, in their 20's who have sweet FA to do with crime but witness it and get tarred with the scumbag brush because of my address which, i absolutely despise...

The only way to find out how bad an area is would be statistics from somewhere like the Garda, and a little hearsay about what the garda don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Pighead wrote: »
    From Howth down to Tallaght and everything in between.

Howth is one of the nicest places in dublin. :eek::confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

jaffa20 wrote: »
    Howth is one of the nicest places in dublin. :eek::confused::confused:

Those cliffs in Howth are dangerous which drags down the area so its to be avoided :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 avrillabing

Stab*City wrote: »
    mountjoy prison is pretty rough..

how about mountjoy street and mountjoy square? are they safe places?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

how about mountjoy street and mountjoy square? are they safe places?

Not bad but not great.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement