Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the worst area in dublin?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 avrillabing

Dub13 wrote: »
    Not bad but not great.

thanks, so it's an average area where can I safely walk at around 6-8pm? sorry, im new to Dublin and I'm trying to find an accommodation located in a safe place and I'm usually out of the office around 6-8pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

how about mountjoy street and mountjoy square? are they safe places?
    Dub13 wrote: »
    Not bad but not great.
    thanks, so it's an average area where can I safely walk at around 6-8pm? sorry, im new to Dublin and I'm trying to find an accommodation located in a safe place and I'm usually out of the office around 6-8pm.
    Just to clarify avrillabing - Mountjoy Street and Mountjoy Square are not really near each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭LD

I'm viewing a house off Cork St shortly, down the Dolphin's barn end, the flats by the canal are about 600m away, any thoughts on the area? I've seen the near-by Dolphin's Barn crop up a bit in this thread...but then again, so have the safest places in Dublin for some reason.

Anyone help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

LD wrote: »
    I'm viewing a house off Cork St shortly, down the Dolphin's barn end, the flats by the canal are about 600m away, any thoughts on the area? I've seen the near-by Dolphin's Barn crop up a bit in this thread...but then again, so have the safest places in Dublin for some reason.

Anyone help?

Lived in the village end of the barn in 1998 and it had quite a junkie/burglary problem then. Not sure about these days. Sure a more recent resident can fill you in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

dolphins barn is an absolute dive, stay away from the bridge house pub too. there was a staff clear out there last week and all the bogies are drinking there again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Back Prince

if your lookin for someone to stay in dublin look at east wall lived her all me life grand area although does get dodgey around halloween sure wat area doesnt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Forsaken1

Phibsboro or Fizzbag as it is sometimes called...
    A great spot for bedsit accom and some flats but stay away from Carba park and Blackhorse road near the Pheono park.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭horseydevine

o'deaveny is one of the worst, me gran is from smithfield and when she was growing up her ma wouldnt let her go near there haha

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

RMD wrote: »
    one of my mates got decked just for asking a randomer from Darndale for a smoke because he was acting friendly.

He gave him proof of address before he decked him? :eek:
    LD wrote: »

Anyone help?

Wouldn't recommend it to be honest. Lived there for a while, thought it was pretty rough but I'm sure Gav Shels would kow more than me. In fairness my view is coloured by the fact there were three murders in the space of the summer I was there.

I found a nice bedsit in Mountjoy Street near Black Church, the flat is right in front of the derelict building in beside the Black Church. I found another derelict building right in front of Black Church. The flat is grand but would you recommend this area as safe?

I'm viewing another house tonight at Beechdale Crescent Ballycullen near the Hunterswood Shop. The picture of the house looks nice but is this a safe area?

Thanks for your advice :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There are lots of derelict buildings round the Black Church, but it's only five minutes walk from town! I'd far rather live there than Ballycullen.

Thanks! But which place is safer? Mountjoy or Ballycullen? Also, the price of bedroom in Ballycullen is 100euro lower so might take that BUT is it a safe area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Thanks! But which place is safer? Mountjoy or Ballycullen? Also, the price of bedroom in Ballycullen is 100euro lower so might take that BUT is it a safe area?

Ballycullen: safer, less convenient for town. Only one bus (49 IIRC)to town, can take up to an hour or more at rush hour. Far less amenities if you haven't got a car.

Mountjoy: walking distance town. Loads of amenities within walking distance, but less safe.

I'm confused at your choices. What are your priorities?

One is in the suburbs, one is central. Why have you limited your choice to two places in completely different parts of the city?

stovelid wrote: »
    Ballycullen: safer, less convenient for town. Only one bus (49 IIRC)to town, can take up to an hour or more at rush hour. Far less amenities if you haven't got a car.

Mountjoy: walking distance town. Loads of amenities within walking distance, but less safe.

I'm confused at your choices. What are your priorities?

One is in the suburbs, one is central. Why have you limited your choice to two places in completely different parts of the city?

Thank you so much, you answered my question :). My priorities are cheaper rent and safer place. I don't mind if the place is too far from amenities or too far from the City because I'm from Cork and as you know the transportation there is not great but I'm used to it :)

Just wondering,someone mentioned in this thread that Firhouse is not a safe area. But isn't Ballycullen part of Firhouse? Or Ballycullen Road is totally different from Ballycullen D24? Sorry, I'm new to Dublin and I would appreciate your kind explanation :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You see this is the problem - what do you mean by 'safe'?

If you leave your door unlocked will you be burgled? Yes probably in both areas.
    Will you be shot walking along the street? No in both areas.
    Will there be crowds of young lads with little to do? Probably yes in both areas

I would gladly live in Mountjoy Street and already live in what some people (who generally have never lived here) consider a 'rough' area.

Repeatedly this thread has shown that it is a pointless, circular discussion. I cannot work out why it is still open.

Firhouse is fine, Ballycullen is fine, Mountjoy Street is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

spurious wrote: »
    Repeatedly this thread has shown that it is a pointless, circular discussion
    100% agree. Safety is very much a subjective thing. One could live in an area with a low crime rate but feel unsafe and vice versa.

Elderly ladies feel unsafe on the streets but they are statistically the safest. Young males generally feel safe yet they are statistically in the greatest danger.

spurious wrote:
    I cannot work out why it is still open
    To close it is tempting alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

To close it is tempting alright!

Ah, leave it. It gives berliner the opportunity to feel special

• Registered Users Posts: 13 dublin lad

crumlin/Drimnagh have thair very bad times,blanch,Dolphin's Barn,Inchicore,olver bond,whitechurch,baller,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 amazin698

Drimnagh i have noticed things are getting out of controll with murders drugs and now frequant shootings and bombs for such a small area it has been getting worse and crumlin has had the same problems

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Things happened and one of events leave a mark on an arae, example: Last Friday me and a few mates heading to a mates house just over near Suir Road Luas stop, fight broke out between us and a group of up to 14 lads. Mate had to go to hospital and I was off work for 2 days, would I ever go back again - ofcourse probably a one of incident which could happen anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Arion Online

Fights happen everywhere, best way to check out an area is by night or talk to the shop keepers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 scraggymess

noones mentioned scumdalkin. there's bits of it which arent too bad but in general id be up for killing myself if i lived there. drimnaghs got bad parts but you can live there without too much hassle. Jobstown is a kip. And some of the estates up in blanch are by far the worst, heard tons of stories and been chased a few times through there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭HouseHippo

Scumlin(crumlin)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Ballyfermot, I'm in Chapelizod (in name only, the estate is realy Ballyfermot tbh)

Listening to the local scum rallying around and doing handbrake turns around the place at 2am this morning. :mad:
    I was trying to think of a local carpark and I couldn't think of one.

So I'll assume they were out on the roads, they might do me a favour and kill themselves.
    Then I can watch the news and hear about their parish priest talk about the "tradegy" and "poor lads w ith their whole life ahead of them." **** em

And yes, Ballyfermot is a kip for 100 other reasons. I'm sure there are lovely, genuine people there, it's not the young people anyway

I used to live near Summerhill and Ballybough and would happily walk around the place at all hours with no problems at all. My shortcut was past Croke Park Villas and that's a narrow, very dark street past the flats. Never once felt unsafe or got hassle.
    Ballybough and Summerhill are run down (but getting better) but they don't compare to Ballyfermot imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Luke G

micmclo wrote: »
    Ballyfermot, I'm in Chapelizod (in name only, the estate is realy Ballyfermot tbh)

Listening to the local scum rallying around and doing handbrake turns around the place at 2am this morning. :mad:
    I was trying to think of a local carpark and I couldn't think of one.

So I'll assume they were out on the roads, they might do me a favour and kill themselves.
    Then I can watch the news and hear about their parish priest talk about the "tradegy" and "poor lads w ith their whole life ahead of them." **** em

And yes, Ballyfermot is a kip for 100 other reasons. I'm sure there are lovely, genuine people there, it's not the young people anyway

I used to live near Summerhill and Ballybough and would happily walk around the place at all hours with no problems at all. My shortcut was past Croke Park Villas and that's a narrow, very dark street past the flats. Never once felt unsafe or got hassle.
    Ballybough and Summerhill are run down (but getting better) but they don't compare to Ballyfermot imo

Summerhill a ballybough are much worse then ballyfermot man, ballyfermot is a kip also and i live there, up towards the gala and cherry orchard are theworst places,

I've heard of people been mugged in summerhill and that, but never in ballyer, and don't act like there are no joyriders in summerhill or ballybough....AND IN COMPARISON TO MOST AREAS IN DUBLIN,IF MY MEMORY SERVES ME CORRECTLY, AND I'M SURE YOURS DOES TOO, I THINK SUMMERHILL WAS ONE OF THE WORST EFFECTED AREAS DURING THE HEROIN SCOURGE, NO GO AREA FOR NON RESIDENTS IF I'M NOT MISTAKEN,

Ballyfermot aint no drug and crime free zone, BUT I THINK YOU'RE FORGETTING WHERE YOU'RE ORIGINALLY COMING FROM....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Just my personal experiences man, no offence intended if you’re from Ballyfermot. It’s what I’ve experienced anyway and that’s what this thread is for.
    I happily walked around Ballybough and Summerhill at all hours and never felt unsafe.
    New to Ballyfermot and it just seems different to me.

I’ve no knowledge of the drug problems of Dublin at it’s peak of the 1990’s if that’s what you’re referring to, not from Dublin and wasn't there at the time though I did get Bus Eireann to Dublin and do some shopping every December 8th ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭RaverRo808

What I think is funny about this thread is that everyone here is mentioning places which are easy targets,Finglas,Tallaght,Ballyfermot,Ballymun etc etc,you know the people who are saying these are the biggest kips are people who never experienced or spent any time in these areas,their only mentioning them because they are large,they might drive trough them and take a look,and these are areas that are well known,

The biggest kips are the places you dont see and dont hear about,purely because these are places if you've no reason to be there you shouldnt be there

Cabra West,O'Devaney Gardens,Drumalee aka Cattle Market,Blackhorse Groove aka abitor,McKee Park,Summerhill,Ballybough,the Meath Street area,Thomas Street,etc etc

Town and its outskirts will always be biggest kips,bar Neilstown,never seen so many gear heads in my life

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭ryoishin

Ah come on Cabra west is full of grannies and the vigalanties. Its not that bad of an area.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭RaverRo808

And an area which has vigilantes in first place in your logic is ok?,cabra west isnt bad for drugs or joyriders or any that lark,just the tension in the area is unreal,very viloent,fighting all over the place,very clannish area aswell,a f*cking kip

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement