Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ripwave in Dublin 8 - Dead?

• 29-03-2005 8:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭

I've been using Ripwave in Christchurch for over 4 months now, without a problem - in fact, I've been quite happy with it. But on friday, my modem went to flashing red, and has not reconnected since (I'm writing this from dial-up). Anyone else having that problem? Has a new building just been erected over a 24 hour period? OR, could it be possible that someone in my apartment has set up (say) a wireless network, that's interfering with my connection?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭replytohere2004

I'm on jct of Clanbrassil St/SCR (Lenords Cr). We're prob on the same BTS, Guinness 2.

RipWave went down on me last Friday am for about 6/8 hrs. This was the first time this happ to me in 4mts.

Can't really say any more; best to give cs a call perhaps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 OldTitan

RipWave operates on IBB's 3.5GHz licensed frequency, so it is unlikely that it can be interfered with.

If the modem flashes red and does not reconnect, either the modem died (1.5% chance, or the highsite disconnected the modem for some reason - in which case you need to contact IBB support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

Cheers for that.

I did actually ring CS yesterday, but the girl said nothing had changed at the hub, and was generally pretty useless. She did agree to send me out a new (upgraded) modem though. I may ring back tomorrow, perhaps someone else will be of more help.

OldTitan: what does the "highsite" refer to? Is this the same as the Guinness hub? It may help if I can get technical with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 OldTitan

Hi ReefBreak.

IBB refers to any site from which it broadcasts, as a 'highsite'. Whether that is Guinness, RTE, 3Rock etc.

To double check the modem:- You can try loading the RipWave diagnostics tool. Go to the Configuration Window and just hit the Reset the Modem button. It will take anywhere between 3 to 5 minutes to complete. If the problem is with something in the modem memory, this could clear it. Just do it once through. If you do it 2 or 3 times in a row you could lock up the modem in any event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭steve-o

I'm near Leonards Corner... I've been having problems in the past few weeks with dropped connection. I've been watching the Signal Strength/Quality in Navini Diagnostics, and every few minutes it completely loses the signal. It's usually on BTS Id 110, but sometimes picks others (140, 246). At first I thought it was randomly switching transmitter, but it usually picks up the same one again.

I've had no response from email support.

Smart BB claim to be live on my local phone exchange. I think I'll be switching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

ReefBreak wrote:
    I've been using Ripwave in Christchurch..., could it be possible that someone in my apartment has set up (say) a wireless network, that's interfering with my connection?

Which apartment block? I live in christchurch view and set up a wireless network that very day! :p Don't think it can interfere though, i've got a ripwave connection too and it still works. It did go down for a long time that friday though.

Advertisement