Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UCD Course Choices

• 29-03-2005 9:17pm

Hi I'm hoping I could get some advice on my course choices. I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but anyway. I'm sitting my LC in June and I'm definitely going to UCD, as its not too far from where I live and it sounds the best etc. I believe I will get around 520 points on my LC and I hope to study Science. The thing is that all of my teachers are saying that I should put a harder course, like Theoretical Physics or Mathematical Science, on my CAO as my first choice as there's no point in wasting an extra 150 points. However, I want to do Science coz I like the idea that I can do Maths and Computer Science together. Can anybody give me some advice? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

no point in wasting an extra 150 points.

this is rubbish and you're teachers are idiots. points shouldn't be seen as some kinda of currency you should try and spend on the highest thing to get most value.

simply put, put what you want to do most at the top and let the points look after themselves. well study too.

If you want to do maths and computer science and you're certain you want to go to ucd then the science degree seems like it will suit. i would investigate the other options fully also, I don't do TP myself so i'm not sure how much CS they do, but they do a bit at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Bah

The idea of "wasting" points by chosing a relatively low-points course is just stupid. You should do whatever you want to do, not what your teachers/parents/friends expect you to do.
    Science is a good course - as long as you *think* it's what you want, and you've researched other courses, then go for it.
    You're the one who'll be stuck in whatever course you choose for the next 3-4+ years, so just decide for yourself and choose carefully.

[edit]Damn you Kevin_rc_ie, with your fast typin'![/edit]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Yeah don't mind that extra points sh1te, i got the same thing last year as the points for science in UCD at the time were only 280 :eek: (don't let that fool you it's fairly tough).

Anyway i'd definitely recommend the general science course, you have to do maths in 1st year and then choose three other subjects, so it's a great way to choose the 2/3 areas you're interested in and give something else a try at the same time.

// desperately shoving aside personal bias :D:D

You can still get your degree in maths through the general route too AFAIK.
    Comp Sci(in general science) is fairly easy in 1st year, 3lectures and one practical a week.
    Practicals are usually on java, maybe one or two assembly language ones aswell.
    Most of the course is on programming (70% approx.) and the rest is on IT technology and Computer Architecture

Anyway hope that helps and remember to choose your course on what intersts you most not by what points score is needed

Ok great thanks for the help!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Do Computer Science Denominated and don't waste so much time on subjects you will have to drop anyway when you get to third year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

waste so much time on subjects you will have to drop anyway when you get to third year.

you can never wate time learning new subjects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Alana

seriously, don't listen to your teachers bout wasting points, i was bout 150 over what i needed, but i cant c me doing anything else-so what if i got the points for architecture/physiotherapy-doesn't necsrly mean that i'd be happy doing them.... what i was told and what i thought was the best advice i got when doing my lc-was its your life, do what makes you happy, screw what anyone else wants you to do, 30 years down the line they aren't gonna be the ones stuck with a qualification they don't like in a job they hate...so i'm training to be a rodeo clown...hehehe (well arts really but..its a dream...)

Do Computer Science Denominated and don't waste so much time on subjects you will have to drop anyway when you get to third year.

Do people think that this is good or bad advice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭pigeonbutler

I don't know much about the Science Field but in general going for a broad course rather than one which is denominated early on is the better option since before entering university you will know very little about what exactly is involved in your course. You won't know if you'll like it or not so doing something open like undemoninated Science will leave you with more options and allow for the eventuality of having studied Computer Science for a year you'd hate it.

I don't know much about the Science Field but in general going for a broad course rather than one which is denominated early on is the better option since before entering university you will know very little about what exactly is involved in your course. You won't know if you'll like it or not so doing something open like undemoninated Science will leave you with more options and allow for the eventuality of having studied Computer Science for a year you'd hate it.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Thanks for the help!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

My brother was told the exact same thing by guidance counsellors when he was in 6th year - they said it was a waste of points putting down Science! However, he is very stubborn and put it down anyway. The result? He did GREAT in Science and discovered that Biology was the area he likes the best. Now he's doing a PHD in London and LOVES it!
    The important thing is to do what you enjoy, not what other people think you should do.
    I may be seeing you in Science next year! I'm in 6th as well!

Fishie wrote:
    My brother was told the exact same thing by guidance counsellors when he was in 6th year - they said it was a waste of points putting down Science! However, he is very stubborn and put it down anyway. The result? He did GREAT in Science and discovered that Biology was the area he likes the best. Now he's doing a PHD in London and LOVES it!
    The important thing is to do what you enjoy, not what other people think you should do.
    I may be seeing you in Science next year! I'm in 6th as well!

Yeah I'd like to study in London. Hopefully I'll see you in Science!!! Well, knowing you, you might struggle to get in, but you should just scrape your way through. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

There is no such thing as wasting points. I got 580 points and I went for general sciecne, which was 320 points the year I went in.

In first year Theoretical Physics, Mathematica Sciece and General Science are all the same. I'm in General Science and lots of my friends are in TP and maths sci. You can do computer science in 1st year Theoretical physics and maths science. (Maths sci people have to do computer science). The only difference is in 2nd year. TP & maths sci have very small choice in 2nd year and can't do comp sci. I went into general science. In first year I did chemistry, honours maths, maths physics and computer science. In 2nd year I did computer science, honours maths and maths physics. I'm in 3rd year now and doing a single honour in computer science.

Denominated entry computer science is quite different from the other denominated entry. You still do lots of the same courses, but in 1st and 2nd year you get to do courses that people in non-denominated entry can't do. In 2nd year you do courses that general science people don't do till 3rd year (programme design and verification).

However the one thing you should know is this: It's possible to switch courses. It's quite flexible. You don't have to make up your mind now. A friend of mine was in general science and at the end of 1st year he moved to Theoretical physics, no bother. Another was in Maths science and at the start of 3rd year switched to single honour maths physics.

The UCD science course is very good for a broad education, you get a lot of freedom and aren't shackeled to what you put on your CAO.

Thanks for the tips!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Syth wrote:
    Another was in Maths science and at the start of 3rd year switched to single honour maths physics.
    That would be me... Should have repeated 2nd year and taken CS tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

Also with the extra points you might be eligible for an entrance scholarship worth a fair bit.... not too sure what the points might be, check the awards booklet on the ucd website.

For science it's 550. I got one in 2002, and so did Syth.

For science it's 550. I got one in 2002, and so did Syth.
    Yep it's great. They give you €1200 at the start of the year. It's really cool. It's funny because for maths science the entry points was 550, so everyone got a scholarship that year. You also get preferential treatment for on campus accomadation. Though they are changing the campus accomodation this year so I don't know how it works. In order to a scholarship for 2nd year you have to get first in the class, so they give out much less in 2nd year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

if you do the general science course and just choose maths/maths physics/experimental physics/and comp science its 100% the same as ppl who chose math science and theoretical physics demoniated courses

your in the exact same lectures as them and will recieve the same degree as the others should you see out your 4 years

that talk about "wasting" points is stupid and imo if you know what you want to do fire ahead with it regardless,dont try to conform to what others want you to do

Gileadi wrote:
    if you do the general science course and just choose maths/maths physics/experimental physics/and comp science its 100% the same as ppl who chose math science and theoretical physics demoniated courses
    Yep. Though it doesn't have to be experimental physics. I did chemistry along with a guy in maths sci. The only requirement is honours maths, maths physics and computer science.

I'd recommend the 300ish points general science as you have more freedom in case you change your mind. You don't know what'll happen in college, and you may not like to college version of, say, physics. This way you can move into a different area of science easily.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭elbee

If you get 520ish points and don't need all of them to get into your course, it isn't a waste. No achievement is ever a waste.

I cleared the requirement for my course by nearly 100 points and and it doesn't make a blind bit of difference. Go with the course that makes you happy. Lots of people who feel they have a chance of getting 600 points apply for Medicine, get in, and decide two years later that they never wanted to actually be doctors, they just felt they should be. Go with what you actually want.

Further, when I started college I took German, which I adored in school and spoke fluently, and discovered that in UCD's German course, virtually no German is spoken and we were studying Linguistic theory. When starting college, leave yourself as flexible as possible because UCD is a very odd place and nothing is what it seems. . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

Oooh, good good. People who may be able to help me. Apologies for the thread hijacking in advance by the way. I was in Dublin for 9 days and told myself I'd definitely go find out about all the UCD things that I needed to know, but of course totally forgot/was way too lazy.

I'm currently doing A Levels in England(crazy equivalent to Leaving Cert.... sorta). My subjects this year are Spanish, Computing(Computer science/programming basically), General Studies(random compulsory subject), Psychology and English Language and Literature. I know UCD requires a second European language, English and ordinary level maths for entry. I'm going to do maths next year so will have the equivalent of an ordinary level maths qualification and will probably get a C or above(fingers crossed). Also I need CCC or an equivalent(at least a C grade from 3 of my 2 year subjects), which I'm sure I can achieve.

Now for the more science based computer science you need a science, but for the arty version you don't. I would rather go for the science based one as it seems like it would be taken more seriously as a qualification(any comments on this welcome, if they're both seen equally then there are no probs really). Would I be able to use computing or psychology as sciences? Thanks to the crazy English system that I knew nothing about until I randomly moved and started studying here I didn't pick the best subjects or think of uni. I was planning on doing physics next year but they won't let me. I'm already dropping Spanish for maths next year so can't really drop a second subject and 5 is the max they'll let me do.

Any comments/advice or anything? Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Blut

Harsh but fair advice: dont do anything science related unless youre prepared to be surrounded by ugly, badly dressed people for 3/4/5 years.

Blut wrote:
    Harsh but fair advice: dont do anything science related unless youre prepared to be surrounded by ugly, badly dressed people for 3/4/5 years.
    Join us.... I know you want to... Forget the pink and fake tan... forget the blonde... Embrace black hair... Black leather trenchcoats... Men with long unkempt hair...

LadyLotts, The best way to find out if your subjects are acceptable is to ask the admissions office. Not a lot of people here would have experience with the british system.

Syth wrote:
    Men with long unkempt hair...
    :D lol...

Syth's talking about himself again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭sroberts82

Have a look an engineering too. I was thinking about doing Science and Im really glad I done engineering instead. More jobs in engineering at minute, but that could change in 4 years time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Syth wrote:
    Men with long unkempt hair...

Hey! I have long unkempt hair, and I'm in Arts. Shame on you for such generalisation :mad: .

P.S. All the girls in Arts are, in some way, completely mental. FACT. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

harder course? so science is easy now?

If you are after something challenging though, do engineering :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭Sarn

No such thing as a waste of points, do what you want. Do plenty of research on the different courses, get the opinion of people who did different courses.

Flavour of the year applies to different courses, science was 425 points when I started. Naturally if someone is gifted in a particular area then they'll be grand, but selecting a course because it's cheap or expensive point wise is ridiculous. Unfortunately inappropriately low points results in benchmarks being lowered in order to compensate for people with limited ability to stay the course.

• Advertisement
Advertisement