Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carrigtwohill - Still no broadband

• 29-03-2005 9:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Carrigtwohill in Co.Cork is not far off becoming the largest town in Ireland without broadband. Eircom have said that they will have all towns with a population greater than 1500 broadband enabled by March 31st 2005. They're cutting it close !!!
    It is not even on phase 2 despite a lot smaller towns being on that list.
    I have had no luck with eircom when i call and try and put the case to them.
    Has anybody else out there had any better luck than I have ? Or even better still know if we are ever going to get broadband ?

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭Tony H

http://www.amocom.com/ i think they have coverage of your area might be worth checking out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭WillieFlynn

Just to add to what Tweaky has said.

The population of Carrigtwohill (according to the census) was 2030 in 2002 and was 1771 in 1996. This is before a large increase of poplulation since 2002. Rather than just over 1411 which Eircom seem to think (as they only counted part of the village (or should that be town, now that the population as increased)).

Willie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Well if the CSO says Carrigtwohill has a population over 1500 then it's a town. I'm sure the ASAI can be contacted to look into the fact that eircom are saying every town in the country now had broadband which apparently is not true.

Why not fire off an email to Phil Nolan and ask him why Carrigtwohill is being ignored ?

While your at it, maybe email Smart Telecom and ask them what their plans for Carrigtwohil are, I believe that they have a large call centre in that town too. Be nice if they gave the town they are situated in broadband when eircom wouldn't. Would make a good PR opportunity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Tweaky

Thanks Damien,
    I will send Mr Nolan an email to see if I get some sort of explanation from him or one of his people.
    The most galling part about it is we now miss out on the free trials which as of now don't look like they are going to be extended.

I did try the Smart route and the call centre card by email and phone and on the boards to Garfield Connell - The smart employee. It didn't work unfortunately.

I will continue the cause and maybe one day in the not too distant future we will be broadband enabled.

Advertisement